A Full Explanation of Elite: Dangerous' BGS
Version 2.0 - 17OCT2018

Guide by: CMDR NewkTV - Founder of The Forgotten Initiative. Reference Links are included.
If you would like to download the .pdf, please visit: http://alturl.com/r3ikk

If you are interested in joining The Forgotten Initiative, please visit our INARA page: https://inara.cz/wing/4114/

[video=youtube_share;eECY8ct2sv4]https://youtu.be/eECY8ct2sv4[/video]

Last edited:
Systems will have a maximum of six native factions, but can actually hold seven (through expansion) or more (if the faction is manually inserted).

Nice work Cmdr. Well presented [up]

... though a few numbers need updating :D
I'll post again when I have time, if nobody gets in before me.

Thank you! Yes please, if anyone has critical #'s or %'s changes, please comment so I can fix those ASAP. I'm assuming with Q4 I will be rolling out even more. Thanks for the support as always and I'll be updating this thread regularly.

Systems will have a maximum of six native factions, but can actually hold seven (through expansion) or more (if the faction is manually inserted).
Eight is possible without any manual intervention in certain circumstances - Ogmar, for example, has stably held eight factions (having started with only two native factions) for a year and a half. https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/5/history

Thank you! Yes please, if anyone has critical #'s or %'s changes, please comment so I can fix those ASAP. I'm assuming with Q4 I will be rolling out even more. Thanks for the support as always and I'll be updating this thread regularly.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/400110-Don-t-Panic-BGS-guides-and-help would make an extremely good general "detailed reference" link to add to the list.

As above, expansion and retreat don't work quite as you've documented - there's no automatic retreat from overfull systems, for example. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ons-BGS-Guide-Best-Current-Thinking?p=6664130 is a good summary of current best theories on expansion (there are some rare complications - how much you need to include in a summary is debatable, though). Retreat threshold is 2.5%. You can't retreat from your home system, and you also can't get a retreat Pending if there aren't at least four factions total in the system

War/Election-winning thresholds are 5%, not 15% - though sure, why not get 15% for safety ;)

Elections take place between factions of the same "ethos", which is broader than "government type", so e.g. a Confederacy will normally have elections with a Democracy ... or a Dictatorship with a Feudal. Anarchy governments / Criminal ethos factions [1] never have elections even with each other.

Black market trading harms the influence of non-Anarchy station owners. As of relatively recently, it helps Anarchy factions in the same way that normal trading does.

Cargo and exploration data sales automatically break down per-barrel/per-system when you do them, so you get the same effect from selling a page of 50 systems as from clicking through each one in turn. Bounties/CZ bonds are really the only thing left which doesn't automatically break down this way.

On the states: an important point is that the minimum duration is the minimum if it doesn't get overridden by a higher priority state. This is a good way to get rid of things like Bust which would otherwise hang around a long time. Some of the state durations seem to have changed since that table was originally written - see https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/424668-States-quot-Best-Current-Thinking-quot for up-to-date numbers

[1] It's unclear whether "never has elections with the same" is a property of the Anarchy government or the Criminal ethos - non-Anarchy governments with the Criminal ethos are too rare to test with, and Anarchy governments with a non-criminal ethos are unknown. You can say "Anarchies never have elections" in your guide and it will be good enough for every known case :)

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...uides-and-help would make an extremely good general "detailed reference" link to add to the list.

As above, expansion and retreat don't work quite as you've documented - there's no automatic retreat from overfull systems, for example. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...king?p=6664130 is a good summary of current best theories on expansion (there are some rare complications - how much you need to include in a summary is debatable, though). Retreat threshold is 2.5%. You can't retreat from your home system, and you also can't get a retreat Pending if there aren't at least four factions total in the system

War/Election-winning thresholds are 5%, not 15% - though sure, why not get 15% for safety

Elections take place between factions of the same "ethos", which is broader than "government type", so e.g. a Confederacy will normally have elections with a Democracy ... or a Dictatorship with a Feudal. Anarchy governments / Criminal ethos factions [1] never have elections even with each other.

Black market trading harms the influence of non-Anarchy station owners. As of relatively recently, it helps Anarchy factions in the same way that normal trading does.

Cargo and exploration data sales automatically break down per-barrel/per-system when you do them, so you get the same effect from selling a page of 50 systems as from clicking through each one in turn. Bounties/CZ bonds are really the only thing left which doesn't automatically break down this way.

On the states: an important point is that the minimum duration is the minimum if it doesn't get overridden by a higher priority state. This is a good way to get rid of things like Bust which would otherwise hang around a long time. Some of the state durations seem to have changed since that table was originally written - see https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-Thinking-quot for up-to-date numbers

[1] It's unclear whether "never has elections with the same" is a property of the Anarchy government or the Criminal ethos - non-Anarchy governments with the Criminal ethos are too rare to test with, and Anarchy governments with a non-criminal ethos are unknown. You can say "Anarchies never have elections" in your guide and it will be good enough for every known case

Thank you! Guide has been updated and new images/.pdf has been updated. o7 CMDR and thank you for taking the time to properly review it.

Last edited:
Nice guide!

Regarding the “mission effectiveness” section. Failing missions does indeed effect INF. It can be a good way to drop INF quickly in some cases. It will also drop your REP.

Abondoning a mission while it’s still active will only impact REP negatively while leaving INF alone.

Nice catch! As I was writing I didnt specify the difference between actually failing a mission and abandoning (which I meant). Thank you! Will be added shortly in the next version.

Thank you! Guide has been updated and new images/.pdf has been updated. o7 CMDR and thank you for taking the time to properly review it.
A rare point on expansions: it's possible to expand into a system which already has seven factions, without any Frontier intervention, if particular conditions are met.

You probably don't need to document when and how (it's in the section on "invasion" in the expansion documentation if you're interested) - it's unlikely to come up in the main bubble for any but the largest factions - but the presence of eight factions in a system doesn't always mean Frontier put them there.

I am in a current process of re-writing this guide for the major changes coming in Chapter 4. My wishes is to become the leading guide that will fully outline BGS and it's major changes in Chapter 4, I will not let the ED Community down. Some changes I'm working on:

- Integrating Happiness with Influence.
- New States/Primarily the new Civil Liberty State.
- Scenarios and their affects in INF, REP, and Triggers.
- Raids and their affects on States.
- Having multiple states in multiple systems.
- Rewriting the War/Civil War section completely.
- Going into depth about Mission availability during States.
- New Timelines for Pending, Current and Cooldowns.
- Adding a BIG NEW Chapter explaining Superpower BGS.
- Writing some aids with the new Squadron updates coming.

Honestly, this is a WIP and will get better a few weeks after Chapter 4 fully releases (Non-Beta). If you can think of any other major changes, please drop a reply.

Thanks for doing this. My faction is new to expansion and wars, etc. and this is a great help. We wasted 2 days running missions in a newly expanded to system when we were at war in another system.

When I try to download the PDF Malwarebytes is flagging the site as "Website blocked due to riskware". Is there an alternate download link?

I just started helping my Faction up in Colonia with the BGS. This guide helps me a lot, never really understood it till now. Thank you

Now all we need is a comprehensive update to this, as the BGS has been changed quite drastically in the new update. Well done and well written!

Sorry just saw that you are indeed writing up supplemental information based on the new changes (bestows a grant of 100,000,000 credits to your efforts and research) thank you again for doing this!

Last edited:
I need to update this then with that?

Background Simulation

Factions can now be in multiple states within each system that they are present
Economic and Security status added
War, Civil War and Election states are now a 7 day conflict, where players engage in activities (such as winning conflict zones in War and Civil War states) and attempt to beat their opponents
Added a new 'Happiness' level for each faction, that is a combination of various states and influence. Happiness also plays into the Expansion state
Civil Liberty state added (part of the Security Status)
Added more information to the status tab in the right hand cockpit panel to help players manage/support factions
Existing Background Simulation states will be reset to 'none' to make way for these new changes.

I need to update this then with that?
Yes ... but not all of it, as some of it isn't accurate, or has since been superseded by later changes. See also the BGS announcements in the News forum.

Things are definitely stabilising and becoming more understood, but it's probably going to be a couple of months before that's finished.

War, Civil War and Election states are now a 7 day conflict, where players engage in activities (such as winning conflict zones in War and Civil War states) and attempt to beat their opponents
These now can end quicker than 7 days if one side gets too large a lead.

Added a new 'Happiness' level for each faction, that is a combination of various states and influence. Happiness also plays into the Expansion state
Expansion is not yet affected by Happiness.

Other changes in or since the 3.3 release:
- conflicts now have to be about something
- influence sources and effects have been rebalanced (mainly slower)
- pending and recovering periods for conflicts have been shortened
- the Pirate Attack state exists
- the Infestation (hidden) and Incursion (visible) Thargoid attack states exist
- the Outbreak state has changed (especially in how it's caused)
- Invasion conflicts now depend on ethos rather than always being War

Top Bottom