A group planetary circumnavigation expedition (scouting phase)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Couple more names as I am bored at work...

Once Around The Rock
Rock Around The Clock (or Clock Around the Rock?)
The Cannonball Rally
There and Back Again - an SRVs' Tale

I'll keep you updated, in a couple hours hopefully.

There it is: Bleia Eohn ZF-L d9-70 AB 3 a
Radius: 582 Km
Gravity: 0.07 g
Volcanism: silicate vapour geysers

Potential issue: it's "just" 2200-2300 ly away from Sol (I'm basing my guesstimate from my current position in Caledo).

pe9Uutf.jpg

Some shots from my previous visit to the place:

N6Sw2op.jpg

MQ1vsxW.jpg

3IdRlKI.jpg

tx7dOxZ.jpg

As for some name proposals, I first thought of something like "The Magellan Collective" or similar, but then I saw the Magellan theme has been proposed already, so here's another bunch of completely serious and pretentious-sounding names:

- League of Extraordinary Drivers
- The Reach Arounders (yes, I'm totally aware of that [yesnod])
- Collective Reconnaissance And Zonal Initiative for Exoplanetary Survey
- Steve

There it is: Bleia Eohn ZF-L d9-70 AB 3 a
Radius: 582 Km
Gravity: 0.07 g
Volcanism: silicate vapour geysers

Potential issue: it's "just" 2200-2300 ly away from Sol (I'm basing my guesstimate from my current position in Caledo).

Wow, that's quite an amazing view!

At one point I earmarked Yuracani 2 as a candidate but that was a while ago and I don't remember anything about it.

Checked this out today and have updated the spreadsheet.

It's OK, nice to drive on but lacks any major features and the base has a security perimiter and isn't landable so it's not like we could use it.

[video=youtube_share;MZjZyB0YZQQ]https://youtu.be/MZjZyB0YZQQ[/video]

This is one if it's larger features:

m8w0vBP.png

anCbcZm.png

5.5/10

Also, Frontier have seriously broken the game!

(system scan complete system scan complete asteroid belt discovered system scan complete asteroid belt discovered asteroid belt discovered asteroid belt discovered system scan complete asteroid belt discovered system scan complete system scan complete asteroid belt discovered asteroid belt discovered asteroid belt discovered asteroid belt discovered asteroid belt discovered)

I'll be checking out Ross 780 and 25 Nu-2 Draconis at the weekend, stealing myself for the big trip out to Bleia Eohn ZF-L d9-70 AB 3 a.

Last edited:
Two words, actually: Mitterand Hollow.

I had completely forgotten about Mitterand Hollow but that is a great suggestion!! It's a very special place and circumnavigating this would be an awesome experience...

+1

@AkenBosch: I noticed you did not add it to the spreadsheet so I did.

Edit: with mood pic...

3r5UKgz.jpg

Edit 2: and another one (just can't help myself)

8s9cRQa.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes I totally forgot the spreadsheet :eek:

Also +1 for Mitterand, it should be an ad honorem candidate for just about everything, even though if I recall correctly it has already been circumnavigated (don't know if that's relevant to the current list of candidates or not).

Well sign me up for this, I do love the "Distant Wheels" name.

For those scouting could you also map the locations of the POIs, we could use them as waypoints.

Oh yes I totally forgot the spreadsheet :eek:

Also +1 for Mitterand, it should be an ad honorem candidate for just about everything, even though if I recall correctly it has already been circumnavigated (don't know if that's relevant to the current list of candidates or not).

Yup, Primetime Casual already circumnavigated Mitterand Hollow but that doesn't necessarily rule it out. I should probably go and ask his first hand opinion of it and whether he'd personally recommend it for this expedition.

Well sign me up for this, I do love the "Distant Wheels" name.

For those scouting could you also map the locations of the POIs, we could use them as waypoints.

coughs biscuit all over the keyboard

Well ... of all the people I expected to sign up for this, the (in)famous Mr Potter was not one of them! Didn't have you down as a long distance SRV driver!

Anyway ...

I guess I'll worry about the waypoints and exact route once we've decided on the planet. I was thinking that we might have a basic route that covers major landmarks and does a complete circumnavigation but also have optional diversions to visit, for example, all the geological sites.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I think I want to have more than one SRV available - my trip round Charon was fairly unadventurous (few detours and mountain climbs) due to only having the one :D

Anyone recommend a ship and build?

*Casually glances at Alec's signature banner*...oh right, I also have to get back to Pomeche 2 c....Pomeche 2 c...uuuhh....

Last edited:
*Casually glances at Alec's signature banner*...oh right, I also have to get back to Pomeche 2 c....Pomeche 2 c...uuuhh....
Perhaps we should use that as our training ground? Only people who've completed the Black run need apply?

That'd keep out the riff raff! :p

vOKYMON.jpg

I think I want to have more than one SRV available - my trip round Charon was fairly unadventurous (few detours and mountain climbs) due to only having the one :D

Anyone recommend a ship and build?
Smallish footprint (for finding landing spots on rough terrain), decent range, lots of SRVs. That's about it. I'll probably use my DBX.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom