A group planetary circumnavigation expedition (scouting phase)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Oh, err ... ABSOLUTELY ... checking for SRV synthesis materials, err ... ABSOLUTELY ... yeah, errr ... ha ha ha ha ha ... I mean OBVIOUSLY we've been checking for synthesis materials! What kind of shoddy operation do you think this is? *1

Pssst, errr, guys ... have any of you been checking for SRV synthesis materials on these planets 'cos I sure as heck haven't?

*1 I mean, it's not like any one here would be the kind of person to get totally stranded but for the want of a few scraps of Germanium! [haha]

I just assumed they would be there, just checked my candidate and it has the basic SRV synthesis materials :D

Just for a laugh currently scouting for a planet to circumnavigate near to Sagittarias A* :eek:

Pssst, errr, guys ... have any of you been checking for SRV synthesis materials on these planets 'cos I sure have heck haven't?

Of course. I always check for those. I can chack for them with my eyes closed.
I can clearly recall that my planet had some list of materials with percentages. I remember, because I needed to scroll through it to get the number of POI's.

I didn't see this mentioned in the planet criteria but I'm assuming planet recommendations are being checked for the appropriate synthesis materials for the SRV, correct?
So long as it isn't metal-rich (and they don't tend to have particularly interesting features for this sort of thing, the World of Death aside) it'll be guaranteed everything needed for basic synthesis.

Pssst, errr, guys ... have any of you been checking for SRV synthesis materials on these planets 'cos I sure as heck haven't?

For my part, I of course have been checking my stores of synthesis materials to make sure I am stocked up ok.

Definitely. That has definitely happened.

I have a suggested location out beyond Quince, there were synthesis materials there when last visited and some challenging rifts ridges and mountains however I am not sure what it looks like under the new lighting and surface treatments.

The world is PRAEA EUQ GK-Y B30-0 2 some of you might be more familiar with it as Planet Wilson.

Note at this time I am just suggesting a location not declaring an intent to join your merry gang.

I have a suggested location out beyond Quince, there were synthesis materials there when last visited and some challenging rifts ridges and mountains however I am not sure what it looks like under the new lighting and surface treatments.

The world is PRAEA EUQ GK-Y B30-0 2 some of you might be more familiar with it as Planet Wilson.

Note at this time I am just suggesting a location not declaring an intent to join your merry gang.

Thanks aRJay - yup, familiar with Wilson. I've done some base-jumping there and also joined Bomba Luigi for a bit of his own circumnavigation of that planet.

[video=youtube_share;R5Jy0bvs-xo]https://youtu.be/R5Jy0bvs-xo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;LYbx4ksiF50]https://youtu.be/LYbx4ksiF50[/video]
It's certainly an interesting location with some amazing mountains and contours although I also seem to recall it's surface having an oddly "washed out" texture and (perhaps because of some of its extreme features?) being somewhat prone to the bug where rocks float and the SRV sinks into the surface. Good suggestion tho - we'll add it to the list.

Last edited:
So long as it isn't metal-rich (and they don't tend to have particularly interesting features for this sort of thing, the World of Death aside) it'll be guaranteed everything needed for basic synthesis.
Joking aside I suspected as much - nice to have it confirmed tho - thanks Ian.

For what it's worth tho' I've added some extra columns to the sheet for basic repair and refuel synthesis materials and grabbed some numbers off eddb (not sure how up to date they are tho). I've also improved the sheet a bit so the main row/column headings no longer scroll.

How about Alioth 3 C A ?

binary moon, also a view on nearby ringed gas giant.
475km radius, gravity 0,05
Has some silicate vapour geysers
not bad looking
in rather popular system, which can be both good and bad thing.

qtq8x92nlniqgfxzg.jpg

qztiggfg7o5l3iizg.jpg

oh, and most important materials seem to be there

Last edited:
Thanks aRJay - yup, familiar with Wilson. I've done some base-jumping there and also joined Bomba Luigi for a bit of his own circumnavigation of that planet.

It's certainly an interesting location with some amazing mountains and contours although I also seem to recall it's surface having an oddly "washed out" texture and (perhaps because of some of its extreme features?) being somewhat prone to the bug where rocks float and the SRV sinks into the surface. Good suggestion tho - we'll add it to the list.

OK after sorting out my incorrect bookmark, though that did get me to some sulphur fumaroles, I have now reached Planet Wilson I had forgotten just how dark it is I have landed at local noon and the star is being out glared in the sky by the milky way pretty much had to target it in the nav screen to be sure it was the local sun. Rocks are a tan colour and everything else looks dirty grey/green when not lit by headlights. I have parked near one of the 10km mountains which are impressive but this is a depressing place to be without company. Will move on when I log back in tomorrow to add more light years.

Just a few more from MCC 460 1 ..

Love these big ring cities and this one is spectacular in the daylight, especially with the binary moon in the background.

WjuEte0.png

lnFZfO4.png

Then out for a spot of material gathering (yes, it has all the refuel/repair mat's we need). This crater is one of the largest features visible from space (at least on the daylight side today). It's pretty neat but alas this planet, despite being generally interesting and colourful, does lack major landmarks to visit and challenges to conquer.

C7As04o.png

Scenic tho!

d4ZokBT.png

Last edited:
I hope I'm not bugging you too much with my candidates, but I just found looking for them quite fun, as I'm in process of looking for new home anyway.
I'm just throwing them in, maybe some will catch your interest.
Today I visited Tonisla 6 A (117LY from Sol, close to Lave)

4zcdrx388r0kkdozg.jpg
Again a lot of geysers (I believe POI are great feature as waypoints), unfortunately no settlements - it's hard to find some that would meet all the cryteria (size, features, POI) that would also have a surface spaceport (those smaller settlements are probably forbidden anyway).
But there are nice mountains and quite spectacular canyons.
0l728j6gqx5luixzg.jpg
Also some areas are even covered with ice.
rbxcplyahjje4hpzg.jpg
8vlu0bjausnpc7pzg.jpg

Not too bright though.

I hope I'm not bugging you too much with my candidates, but I just found looking for them quite fun, as I'm in process of looking for new home anyway.
I'm just throwing them in, maybe some will catch your interest.
Nope - it's fine, keep 'em coming. Although we have some good candidates there are so many worlds in Elite that you can almost guarantee there's always a better one out there somewhere.

Today I visited Tonisla 6 A (117LY from Sol, close to Lave)

Again a lot of geysers (I believe POI are great feature as waypoints), unfortunately no settlements - it's hard to find some that would meet all the cryteria (size, features, POI) that would also have a surface spaceport (those smaller settlements are probably forbidden anyway).
But there are nice mountains and quite spectacular canyons.

Also some areas are even covered with ice.

Not too bright though.
Shame it's so gloomy - might go and take a look tomorrow (really I'm just putting off the 2.2kly journey out to AkenBosch's discovery - Hmmm, maybe I'll do that instead, the journey will make a nice change and I might even track down some new stellar phenomena while I'm out there).

So I finally made it out to Aken Bosch's Bleia Eohn ZF-L d9-70 AB 3 A today and boy was it worth the trip!

The first thing to point out is its location, as circled in the following image.

yMp9dmx.png

It's right on the edge of the parent gas giant's ring system which means there are some stunning views to be had of the planet from inside the asteroid field.

eRlAktT.png

G7Pklhm.png

Note: although these might look like many other asteroid belt images don't forget, that's not the planet at the center of the ring system, it's the neighbouring moon!

The next thing to note is that, while flying along the edge of the ring the planet actually starts to overtake you because it's orbiting the gas giant so quickly.

[video=youtube_share;sQkoDxmYI4o]https://youtu.be/sQkoDxmYI4o[/video]

Note: if you don't want to lose 50% of your hull before you even get down to the planet then it pays to look where you're going! [haha]

[video=youtube_share;eZ4afFk6bdE]https://youtu.be/eZ4afFk6bdE[/video]

Anyway, next I headed down to the planet and discovered why Aken Bosch compared this place to Mitterand Hollow. In the following shot (which doesn't really do it justice) I'm heading down in orbital cruise and the planet is still getting away from me.

5yaSC2N.png

On this first attempt (and with only around 50% of my hull strength remaining - see above) I clearly wasn't going to make it and decided to bail out. For anyone who attempted to land on Mitterand Hollow when the Gnosis was in orbit above it you'll also know that coming in from the other direction, so the planet is rushing towards you, is a fairly suicidal manoeuvre!

Anyway, on my second attempt, where I came in from the side of the planet further away from the asteroid field my FSD managed to lock on to the planet rather than the ring system and I ended up in a normal orbital cruise and glide approach and was able to land. The views are spectacular!

bjIvkld.png

bvB03yv.png

Oh7R2ZS.png

g9taO4L.png

I'm going to spend a few days here now to get a better feel for the place. One thing I really want to investigate further is exactly how and where the ring system starts to affect the orbital cruise behaviour near the planet. Are there, for example, areas of the planet that can't be safely landed upon by ship (because the ship is still moving relative to the rings when you drop out of orbital cruise)? And if so, what happens when you land outside of these areas and drive the SRV back into them? (with the Mitterand Hollow/Gnosis effect the SRV would actually leave the planet surface - which would be BAD). If it is possible to drive the SRV normally across the side of the planet next to the rings then that gives us the really exciting possibility of driving to places that are unreachable by conventional ship landing.

P.S. here's the surface map ..

[video=youtube_share;xHbUttle5qM]https://youtu.be/xHbUttle5qM[/video]

Last edited:
Try recalling your ship there!

Good point. As and when I make it I most certainlly will do that ... err, maybe. Perhaps I'd better nip across to the nearby (300ly) Hilary Depot and cash in my exploration data first. Just in case the autopilot does not make sensible decisions! [big grin]

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom