A guide to good base jumping locations

Thanks Schimz, I'll add those to the OP later, gotta run for a train now.

Ditto Lightspeed, that looks like an absolute beauty - might go and visit that one at the weekend (unless it's thousands of lys from Sol).

I may fly out there again myself this weekend in my fast DBX taxi and get some more shots before it might change in 3.0, just to see what differences happen.

174 lyrs from Sol

Edit .... I just took another look, as I was in a DBX, but it was dark ! However, the mountain is currently standing at 18 km above Smith Base, but it has a long "skirt" .... the true mountain is probably about 7 km high from 'base' to peak.

Last edited:
Beta Sculptoris, Smith Station, is at the base of a magnificent mountain .... I think I measured it at 7km high ....

and it has a persistent mining operation between the base and the mountain, both visible in this photo:

Oh my god - I'm there now, this is AWESOME and exactly what I was looking for from this thread. The mountain is over 21km high and around 62km from Smith Base. This place has Buckyball Race written all over it! I just did my first run from the top down to the base - hit speeds well in excess of 250m/s and ended up overshooting the base by 17km before I finally managed to stop the SRV. Heading back to the top for run 2! :D

Edit: lost the SRV to a 100m/s head on collision with a floating rock on the 2nd run. Beta Sculptoris now added to the OP (along with a couple of screenshots of my own). Don't worry Schimz, I haven't forgotten about yours!

Last edited:
My last picture of this in 2.4

xqWLgo4.jpg

Oh my god - I'm there now, this is AWESOME and exactly what I was looking for from this thread. The mountain is over 21km high and around 62km from Smith Base. This place has Buckyball Race written all over it! I just did my first run from the top down to the base - hit speeds well in excess of 250m/s and ended up overshooting the base by 17km before I finally managed to stop the SRV. Heading back to the top for run 2! :D

Edit: lost the SRV to a 100m/s head on collision with a floating rock on the 2nd run. Beta Sculptoris now added to the OP (along with a couple of screenshots of my own). Don't worry Schimz, I haven't forgotten about yours!

It would be possible to race from the top to achieve the fastest time to "docking permission granted" at Smith Base [heart]

I don't see your post for this mountain in your OP. EDIT - oops, I was looking at the top of page 2 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It would be possible to race from the top to achieve the fastest time to "docking permission granted" at Smith Base [heart]

I don't see your post for this mountain in your OP.

We tend to incorporate crazy stuff like this into a larger event. Where's the fun in driving headlong down a mountain if you've not had to complete other tasks before even landing on the mountain. :D

We tend to incorporate crazy stuff like this into a larger event. Where's the fun in driving headlong down a mountain if you've not had to complete other tasks before even landing on the mountain. :D

Well the Beta Sculptoris mountain is on a double moon system. You could fly out from Fan Horizons (I think that's the name of the space port in that system) and circumnavigate the two moons in a figure of 8 first, if you wish [yesnod]

I don't see your post for this mountain in your OP. EDIT - oops, I was looking at the top of page 2 :rolleyes:

Actually, Lightspeed's suggestion of racing headlong down the mountain is exactly what I had in mind. A deceptively simple race, start at the top (co-ordinates to verify position in screenshot #1), race to Smith Base (inside a garage for screenshot #2). I think it would make an excellent little race (which I'll be testing some more tomorrow afternoon).

Sol - Charon
Downhill challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrK_Nn_aSM

Pomeche 2C - High range mountain tourist beacon - 100ly
A great flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb9P3i76S5A

Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 A5 (Mountain close to Dav's Hope) - 180ly
Fun to climb, deadly when go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bF_Ujp840E

Brilliant - thanks Schimz, all now added to the OP. I think I've done the "Dav's Hope" mountain and I've definitely been to the "Epic Mountain Range" tourist beacon but I didn't drive it in the SRV so I might have to go back and try these tomorrow ... or maybe I'll wait until after 3.0 drops, that'll give me a reason to check out the new planet tech.

o7

Here's a video of one of my better Smith Base descents ..

[video=youtube_share;zHBBQYr1z90]https://youtu.be/zHBBQYr1z90[/video]

And here's a video of an attempt that didn't go quite so well ..

[video=youtube_share;UkiKnAZspoE]https://youtu.be/UkiKnAZspoE[/video]

:p

I was thinking of joining you in Beta Sculptoris when I returned to the bubble from the Ram Tah mission, but you'd gone offline while I was still scanning ancient thingies. :)

I'm torn between giving it a go now, or waiting for your race. As you know I kind of suck at SRV flyving and I've never tied base jumping other than little ones during BRC races. So I could do with some practice, but I do like to try out new things during BRC races, so I'm not sure whether to save it until then. :)

I was thinking of joining you in Beta Sculptoris when I returned to the bubble from the Ram Tah mission, but you'd gone offline while I was still scanning ancient thingies. :)

I'm torn between giving it a go now, or waiting for your race. As you know I kind of suck at SRV flyving and I've never tied base jumping other than little ones during BRC races. So I could do with some practice, but I do like to try out new things during BRC races, so I'm not sure whether to save it until then. :)

Personally I'd recommend going over there and giving it a try. It's a pretty hardcore descent for the uninitiated so a few practice runs to figure out a) how to survive and b) how not to overshoot the base by 20km could be well worth doing. Incidentally, since I now realise I managed to get down in around 10 mins I'm thinking I might actually combine this with something else for the race (maybe a hill climb). The only problem is that I don't really want to subject racers to repeatedly having to do the 6kls supercruise out to the planet. I'll think on it some more. Either way the race probably won't be until the End of April at the earliest.

P.S. if you see me online and do fancy doing something like this then please give me a shout in comms as I'm usually always up for something like this. The only problem is the generally unsociable hours I play (around 6am UK time typically). Unusually, I'll be playing mid-evening this coming Wednesday (28th) so, if anyone fancied it, we could go and do some post-3.0 base jumping!

Last edited:
I love the music over the top of the OP :p

One from me... Nervi 3A at 22.5596, 113.1018

I don't know the altitude, I'll measure it next time I'm there.

If anyone is up for some jumping just give me a call! I'd love to join in! :cool:

[video=youtube_share;XSF_v1glMhM]https://youtu.be/XSF_v1glMhM[/video]

Last edited:
Personally I'd recommend going over there and giving it a try. It's a pretty hardcore descent for the uninitiated so a few practice runs to figure out a) how to survive and b) how not to overshoot the base by 20km could be well worth doing. Incidentally, since I now realise I managed to get down in around 10 mins I'm thinking I might actually combine this with something else for the race (maybe a hill climb). The only problem is that I don't really want to subject racers to repeatedly having to do the 6kls supercruise out to the planet. I'll think on it some more. Either way the race probably won't be until the End of April at the earliest.

P.S. if you see me online and do fancy doing something like this then please give me a shout in comms as I'm usually always up for something like this. The only problem is the generally unsociable hours I play (around 6am UK time typically). Unusually, I'll be playing mid-evening this coming Wednesday (28th) so, if anyone fancied it, we could go and do some post-3.0 base jumping!
I don't think that one 6k supercruise is too bad during a race.

Since there's a neutron star in the system, maybe combine the two in a "big jumps" race. The 3.0 engineering updates will mean it's easier to pull off this than it was during Double Action Jackson:

NhL1fNI.png

The double boost 'bug' is nerfed fixed in 3.0 I believe, which is a shame because it's tricky enough that I could only pull that off after the race when furrycat had shown me how! But since Beta Sculptoris needs a 6k SC to reach the mountain, flying to the Neutron Star while in system wouldn't really add much time (less than the boosted jumps save).

I tend to play late in the evening (after 10pm) and might not be able to play at all midweek at the moment, but if I can get online tomorrow evening I will. :)

I'd have messaged you in game on Sunday, but genuinely wasn't sure if I'd get time to visit all the ruins sites needed during the afternoon. It turned out I did, but you were offline when I finished. :)

Last edited:
I love the music over the top of the OP :p

One from me... Nervi 3A at 22.5596, 113.1018

I don't know the altitude, I'll measure it next time I'm there.

If anyone is up for some jumping just give me a call! I'd love to join in! :cool:

https://youtu.be/XSF_v1glMhM

Added - thanks!

P.S. do you happen to know whether this was before or after Mt. Nervi got nerfed to bring it's peak below the exclusion zone?

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Having visited the Dav's Hope mountain this morning and discovered that it's pretty much impossible to find a landing spot on the top (at least, for a Python) I've added an extra detail that I'd like people to supply when contributing new entries - basically the availability of landing sites on top of the mountain. I've filled in the one's that I could (based either on first hand experience or from checking people's videos) but if people could check/supply this extra bit of information that would be much appreciated.

I might go back to some of the other sites tonight to see what they look like in 3.0 (the Dav's Hope planet has changed from beige to ash grey but it does look far more realistic). Since I'm currently parked halfway up a (not the) mountain at Dav's Hope ..

JSo24Y2.png

.. I'll measure the height of the large mountain while I'm there.

P.S. Schimz - could you confirm re: the Dav's Hope mountain - were you able to land a ship up there or did you have to climb the mountain in the SRV?

Here's a funny jump location:
Exit from Oluwefami Depot
[video=youtube_share;OYX1_FTifaY]https://youtu.be/OYX1_FTifaY[/video]

Location is on the video, I think it is Vesper M4

Last edited:
Top Bottom