A journey to ‘The Roof of Space’

Source: https://youtu.be/PrnV4mRLg9g

And, we're here. I woke up from Cryo-sleep just to see what the system looked like before it got a station built in it. So now that this system should be ticked off from my galactic map checklist. A little bit later, I'll actually attempt to DOCK on that station, say hi to the eccentric billionaire, and then cryosleep back home.

Yes, the view of the galaxy is quite neat, but what's really existential to me personally is seeing all the void and darkness above. It's like staring into the Eternal Nothing, with the only difference that I can choose to look away.

If anyone managed to get the message from the Ship Uplink on the new installation can you post it? As per usual it didn't appear when I scanned it :(

Yes, the view of the galaxy is quite neat, but what's really existential to me personally is seeing all the void and darkness above. It's like staring into the Eternal Nothing, with the only difference that I can choose to look away.
I completely agree. I did consider a screenshot of that but there's literally nothing to see! Although thinking about it a view from the cockpit would at least be more than a black screen. I'll get onto that later.

Elite_-_Dangerous_CLIENT_17_12_2020_06_16_31.png

Elite_-_Dangerous_CLIENT_17_12_2020_06_10_08.png

Last edited:
I love the smell of CTD's in the morning... had one on first login but thankfully it worked again on the second try. Then made over to Rackham's Peak and no luck on that Uplink either (maybe a temporary glitch like we had during the Adamastor event or something reserved for the Anniversary live stream, who knows).
The satellite gave only the usual firmware patch data, the cargo bays and hackable comms array I've left alone for now (will try before we leave tomorrow).
Nothing much for sale at the outpost either: Biowaste and mining equipment for a system devoid of asteroids. What stood out though was this:
1608206677035.png

So Mr Rackham wasn't kidding, the drinks are on him (if you BYO which of course I didn't 🙃)

I love the smell of CTD's in the morning... had one on first login but thankfully it worked again on the second try. Then made over to Rackham's Peak and no luck on that Uplink either (maybe a temporary glitch like we had during the Adamastor event or something reserved for the Anniversary live stream, who knows).
The satellite gave only the usual firmware patch data, the cargo bays and hackable comms array I've left alone for now (will try before we leave tomorrow).
Nothing much for sale at the outpost either: Biowaste and mining equipment for a system devoid of asteroids. What stood out though was this:
View attachment 200208
So Mr Rackham wasn't kidding, the drinks are on him (if you BYO which of course I didn't 🙃)
Interesting! I think I may have those on board ... :)

Hi folks :)

Question... If I buy a ship from the shipyard aboard the Carrier (in this case 'Her Majesty's Embrace') for example a Cobra, then whilst I'm in the same system (in this case Hip 58832) and my ship get's destroyed, do I reappear back on the Carrier again?...and what choices will I have in this scenario?

Jack :)

Question... If I buy a ship from the shipyard aboard the Carrier (in this case 'Her Majesty's Embrace') for example a Cobra, then whilst I'm in the same system (in this case Hip 58832) and my ship get's destroyed, do I reappear back on the Carrier again?...and what choices will I have in this scenario?

When I crashed in my travels across the galaxy, I usually appeared back on the last visited station, including fleet carriers (I use DSSA carriers for pit stop), so I bet, same will be with you.

The rebuy screen always has the following two options:
  • Free sidewinder docked in a system in/near the starter area
  • Your current ship at the last docking point

So if you get e.g. a Cobra at the HME, undock then self destruct you would be put back into dock at the HME (had the carrier jumped in the mean time you would be transported to its current location in the process)

Hi :)

When I crashed in my travels across the galaxy, I usually appeared back on the last visited station, including fleet carriers (I use DSSA carriers for pit stop), so I bet, same will be with you.

Ah! Yes, I'm all too familiar with the last visited station scenario after ship destruction! :D....just wasn't sure about Carriers.

The rebuy screen always has the following two options:
  • Free sidewinder docked in a system in/near the starter area
  • Your current ship at the last docking point

So if you get e.g. a Cobra at the HME, undock then self destruct you would be put back into dock at the HME (had the carrier jumped in the mean time you would be transported to its current location in the process)

Right, I didn't know about the Carrier aspect and of player ship destruction in this context, thanks for the information.

I've played this game since the kickstarter release but most of the time (about 99%) I've played in solo. As for experience with Carriers I know practically nothing at all, I'm embarrassed to say. My hitching a ride on your Carrier was something of a steep learning curve in some respects. Also, (due to playing mostly in solo), I'm not very experienced with the in game player communication menu's so again I've been in a bit of a muddle as to what to select when trying to communicate with other players. I've only just realized how the local chat works as against 'system' chat...I think... :rolleyes: .

Anyway....:D I'll probably buy a Cobra from your station and have a look around the System in more depth, I'll leave my DBX parked for now as it's not really kitted out for 'confrontation' with other . I've landed at the systems station, mapped the planets, and had a look around on the surfaces of the landable ones in the DBX. Been interdicted by some of the npc pirates but managed to get away ok, (though it's got no cargo bay so I suppose I'm pretty safe) and also had a game bug crash whilst travelling back to the Carrier, which was 'interesting'!....I had to exit the game by doing a computer restart in the end to come out of the game. Luckily when I booted up the game again I was placed near the Systems Station.

Thanks once again for the information, you've both been very helpful, it's appreciated.👍

Just had an Orange Sidewinder, was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to get back to my FC, luckily a restart got me going. I've sold my Wine & Liquor, might be time to head home.

o7

I've just made a small change to our flight plan and moved our stopover system to HD 102000.
Our return path will follow the same route as we took on our way here and HD 102000 was the first jump target on day 2. As opposed to the original stopovers emptiness this one has a few landable systems, two of which have rings so there should be some opportunity for photos etc.
To accommodate the additional jump on Saturday I've moved up the departure time from there to 1230 UTC. This way we will arrive back in Jackson's Lighthouse roundabout at the same time.

Just docked at the station, and tried to enter supercruise. System malfunction, rebooting ship now...

Systems functional. Just need to scan the gas giant, and I'll be ready to sleep back home. I already said hi to the man himself.

20201217145126_1.jpg

There IS one little detail I am curious about. Off to the distance in the Eternal Nothing...that looks like a faraway galaxy on my screenshot, BUT in the game screen, if you look slightly down and slighty to the right of that galaxy, it just looks like a purple dot. Super weird! What IS that "Purple Dot"? You might not be able to notice it without blowing the screenshot up to fullscreen size, but trust me, it's THERE!

Last edited:
I saw the purple dot last night. At first I thought it was just part of HIP wherever-we-are but after I flew out past the gas giant I could see that it didn't line up with any of the planets.

Space madness?

I saw the purple dot last night. At first I thought it was just part of HIP wherever-we-are but after I flew out past the gas giant I could see that it didn't line up with any of the planets.

Space madness?
Purple dot?
I know of the good ol' "mysterious blue dot", but this is the first time I see someone mention a purple one.
Hey, Murderous Slimy Purple Meteor, is that you?! Come back here!

• The HME has arrived on schedule and is now in orbit around HIP 58832 1
  • Next departure is currently planned for Friday 1300 UTC

You've probably read the news by now: Multi-billionaire to construct permanent outpost at the farthest system above the galactic plane.

HIP 58832 is not just a system on the fringes, it's beyond the fringes: So far out that it only became accessible with the advent of fleet carriers. It's been on my bucket list ever since we got confirmation of the 500ly range but for some reason or another I never got around to actually make the trip. Well then, that time is now!

The Q6B-8KF Her Majesty's Embrace will depart from the bubble in the coming days to show her support for Mr Rackhams endeavor (and call him up on those drinks ;)). A few CMDRs expressed interest in hitching a ride so I might as well make this official, hence this thread. This is an open invitation, there are no obligations, no requirements. Just make sure you are docked before departure. Help with the fueling procedure is certainly appreciated but not assumed.

I will try my best to get everyone there and back again in one piece but there is always a chance of misfortune. The obvious one is getting stranded of course, most systems along the way are out of reach for anything but a FC. Should that happen you might have to self destruct and take a freewinder back to the bubble. Use a cheap, non-engineered ship for the journey so you can safely opt-out! I will get the Shipyard service installed as part of my preparations so you should have options.
The only way for me to track if you're docked is via the social menu, for that to work you will obviously have to sent me a friend request first. There isn't much to do along the way but the time span between jumps should be long enough for a FSS of the current system. There will be one stopover but other than that it's going to be back to back jumps so we get to our destination in time before the Thursday server tick (when the outpost is scheduled to become operational).
Finally, I am fully aware that advertising ones location and intentions out in the open like this tends to attract less savory folk. And so should you. If in doubt switch to solo or pg, you won't miss out on any planned activities because there aren't any. UC and Redemption offices are enabled so you will be able to offload your data at any point.

All times below are Universal Galactic Time (UTC)

The basic idea of this trip is to leave the bubble from Jackson's Lighthouse on Tuesday and arrive in HIP 58832 on Wednesday afternoon. The return leg is currently scheduled for Friday through Saturday to lead back to our departure point. There is always a possibility for delays so times given should be read as 'no earlier than'.

Flight plan
Dec 13​
Preparations (Fueling, service installation)​
Dec 14 1300​
Begin boarding process in Jackson's Lighthouse. Carrier might arrive earlier but once there will stay in place until the following day​
Dec 15 1300​
Departure for the first half of the trip. Stopover in HD 102897​
Dec 16 1300​
Departure from HD 102897 for the second half. Arrival at HIP 58832 later during the day​
Dec 17​
No jumps planned​
Dec 18 1300​
Departure, stopover again in HD 102897 changed to HD 102000
Dec 19 1300 1230
Departure, arrival in Jackson's Lighthouse later during the day. Carrier will stay in system for another 24h​
Dec 20​
Jump to a nearby Carrier Service Facility for deinstallation of Shipyard/Outfitting (This will move your stored ships and modules to the nearest starport and avoids me accidentally hijacking any of your stuff)​

I will edit the top of this post with status updates. While this isn't my first expedition it is the first one I planned with others in mind, so any suggestions and feedback are very much appreciated. :)
Hello! Can you give a list of all stars you are using on the way there? All known to you stars around there? Would be a TREMENDOUS help exploring that corner of galaxy!

Top Bottom