A journey to ‘The Roof of Space’

Hello! Can you give a list of all stars you are using on the way there? All known to you stars around there? Would be a TREMENDOUS help exploring that corner of galaxy!

No problem, the route we use can be found here. The closest I could get with a jumpaconda was HD 109691 based on this route. EDSM lists about 200 systems within 3000 ly so there might be a few more around.

I drunk sold all my Lavian brandy, Indi-bourbon, Kongga ale, Bast snake gin and Eranin pearl whiskey last night, now waiting for the HME to departure and giving the last look at the local vistas. I think everyone landed on local high-metal content worlds, but if you are looking for the great views, don't forget to visit the last planet of the system, a gas giant with ammonia-based life - galactic disk may provide a good background for that golden ball!

Orbiting the HIP 58832 6
20201218000734_1.jpg

20201218000056_1.jpg

Free ride over the HIP 58832 2
20201218010020_1.jpg

A better version without me:
20201218005929_1.jpg

Warm place at the edge of the darkness
20201218004421_1.jpg

So, this is The Night in all her blackness!
20201218005153_1.jpg

Hi Jago

I saw the purple dot last night. At first I thought it was just part of HIP wherever-we-are but after I flew out past the gas giant I could see that it didn't line up with any of the planets.

Space madness?

Yep, I saw it too, I piloted my Cobra towards it for quite some considerable distance from our local system (Hip 58832), but I think it's some star or small nebula far off in the Milky Way galaxy, as I didn't seem to be getting any nearer to it.
Must admit, I am a bit peeved that there doesn't seem to be any unique features / missions or other stuff in this system that I'm aware of, other than an exercise for fleet Carriers.
Maybe something will appear in the next few days, or at some point in the near future. I was hoping to take something unique (in one form or another) back to the bubble. 🤷‍♂️

Jack :)

I saw the purple dot last night. At first I thought it was just part of HIP wherever-we-are but after I flew out past the gas giant I could see that it didn't line up with any of the planets.

Space madness?
I guess we saw the same little purple dot in that skies...

20201218170009_1.jpg

I think this is supposed to be a spiral galaxy: NGC 5985 or NGC 6952. I increased exposure level to see that area of space better, then used a digital zoom:

A purple dot is definitely look as spiral galaxy with so-called bar (type SBb):

Screenshot 2020-12-18 170826.jpg

There was an old post dedicated to extragalactic objects visible in Elite Dangerous, according to their materials I suppose this is NGC 6951/NGC 6952 (yes, it was catalogued twice) 33+/- 8 Mpc away with the approx. diameter of 160 000 ly. 33 megaparsecs means 107 million light years, which is more than in the old articles, but I used the data provided by scientific article in 2000. Here is a real-life image of the galaxy:

6951.jpg

Attachments

• 20201218164911_1.jpg
    20201218164911_1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 97

View attachment 200360

I think this is supposed to be a spiral galaxy: NGC 5985 or NGC 6952. I increased exposure level to see that area of space better, then used a digital zoom:

View attachment 200356

There was an old post dedicated to extragalactic objects visible in Elite Dangerous, according to their materials I suppose this is NGC 6951/NGC 6952 (yes, it was catalogued twice) 33+/- 8 Mpc away with the approx. diameter of 160 000 ly. 33 megaparsecs means 107 million light years, which is more than in the old articles, but I used the data provided by scientific article in 2000. Here is a real-life image of the galaxy:

View attachment 200359
Is it really that much purple, or is just because of the system star is tinting the skybox?

Is it really that much purple, or is just because of the system star is tinting the skybox?

Second, I think. Andromeda also look weird in game. But may be I just mistaken and this is not the galaxy I told, so threat it all as just my opinion :)

Second, I think. Andromeda also look weird in game. But may be I just mistaken and this is not the galaxy I told, so threat it all as just my opinion :)
Yes, Andromeda does look strange in E: D. :)

As for the 'purple dot', I think I found the same object. At least I saw no other faint galaxies and I am also a couple of kylies above the galactic plane.
This pic is a part of a hires screenie* I just took.
HighResScreenShot_2020-12-18_10-10-06.png

*Playing in 4k resolution, zoomed the vanity camera as much as it goes and took the alt+F10 hires screenshot, this is a piece of that, otherwise unedited.

Last edited:
Yes, Andromeda does look strange in E: D. :)

As for the 'purple dot', I think I found the same object. At least I saw no other faint galaxies and I am also a couple of kylies above the galactic plane.
This pic is a part of a hires screenie* I just took.
View attachment 200364
*Playing in 4k resolution, zoomed the vanity camera as much as it goes and took the alt+F10 hires screenshot, this is a piece of that, otherwise unedited.

I'm watching it from mobile, but galaxy on your screenshot look much less purple, closer to "natural" color. Good to have a high-res!

Any cargo hatching to be done?
I nosied around just before departure today and theoretically there is some cargo to be had, but due to the cargo ejection bug everything is well out of reach. At least it was appropriate cargo, the scientific installation had the usual Robotics etc. while the civilian part was chock full of everything booze.

My alt has heroically "volunteered" their service 😏 to stay behind for further investigation and to take another go at that Ship Log Uplink.

The data scannables I found were:
  • Satellite
  • Ship Log Uplink
  • Hackable Data Transmitter (0 / - / 2 / 3)
  • Hackable Comms Array*
Only the satellite had any content, unfortunately. I don't think I've seen Hackables that could be poked with the Data Scanner before, but it's been a while since I looked at anything that closely.

I wonder if any of these planets will be walkable in Odyssey.

* I think. The only entry in my log is for the Uplink.

The data scannables I found were:
  • Satellite
  • Ship Log Uplink
  • Hackable Data Transmitter (0 / - / 2 / 3)
  • Hackable Comms Array*
Only the satellite had any content, unfortunately. I don't think I've seen Hackables that could be poked with the Data Scanner before, but it's been a while since I looked at anything that closely.

I wonder if any of these planets will be walkable in Odyssey.

* I think. The only entry in my log is for the Uplink.

Tried one of the hackables with a recon limpet but only got the expected data materials. The original GalNet article mentioned new scientific discoveries they are hoping to find with this outpost so maybe that satellite/uplink will yield something in the future.

Tried one of the hackables with a recon limpet but only got the expected data materials. The original GalNet article mentioned new scientific discoveries they are hoping to find with this outpost so maybe that satellite/uplink will yield something in the future.

Oh right, I forgot you scan them with the Data Scanner before you can use the limpets.

View attachment 200360

View attachment 200356

View attachment 200359

I'LL BE! Seems like there are NO mysteries in this universe anymore!

With our arrival back at Jackson's Lighthouse and the nearing conclusion of our journey I would like to thank everybody involved, a toast if you will. Whether you you were with us from the start or joined along the way: It's been a true delight and an absolute pleasure having you on board!

As outlined in the flight plan the HME will stay in this system for a further 24h. Should you choose to disembark at this time you may take advantage of JL's neutron boost capability (an assortment of cheap Fuel Scoops is available via our Outfitting facility).
Tomorrow's jump will be to a nearby system with a Carrier Administration Facility where the Shipyard and Outfitting services will be decommissioned and any stored modules and ships moved to that systems Starport. I haven't made a decision yet where to go next but it will be in or near inhabited space so even if you can't arrange for further travels at this time there should still be opportunity later on.

The HMEs Deck Officer Marisela Bennett kindly asked me to further extend hers and her crews gratitude for choosing to trust Her Majesty's Embrace over these last couple of days so on their behalf:

Thank you, it has been an honor!

Top Bottom