A more logical landing pad numbering system

Two examples of grid pattern.

pad numbers.jpg

Do you guys have multi-level parking decks in Britain? I'm sure you must have office towers and hotels. You don't just start numbering on the first floor and start counting your way up. Typically the first room on floor 18 is numbered 1801. Not some crazy number counted up from the first floor!!! o_O

If a chunk of a floor is missing (because of a pool with high ceilings, ball room whatever) normally those room numbers are skipped. So as you progress up the building room xx03 is located in the same location on each floor. :D

There are many reasons why the numbering scheme for the ED space stations would be a bad idea. The biggest reason I can see is when they decide to build a station with more landing pads. A whole new numbering scheme needs to be memorized.

Edit: I was assuming from Britain because the word jobbie. My apologies for the assumption.

Last edited:
Missing numbers out just confuses things.
Keep with the clock face set up So the top column set of bays, straight up when you go through the slot is 12 , the going to the right you go like you have in the left hand example, so 1 , 2, 3, 4 ,5 etc.
Then the second number , or you could use a letter is the bay numbering from the slot out but don't miss any.
So you know that 3 or C is the third bay along, regardless of how many are in the row

Last edited:
There are several methods that could used when applying a logical grid numbering system for the pads. The main point I was making is numbering the pads consecutively from 1->45 is really not a very great idea. It is like numbering the rooms of a 8-story hotel consecutively from 1->whatever with no regard to floor number.... just keep counting!

Anyhoo, as pointed out by others this isn't gonna change. Its just fun to talk about though. Cheers!

Example pad numbering if the station was doubled in length providing 90 pads.

I chose letters A->L but it could be 1->12. Whatever, lots of similar ways of doing it.

I prefer skipping numbers for unused locations to maintain the grid pattern. Similar to house numbers along a street. There could be many reasons why pad numbers are skipped... station equipment, buildings, etc. Whatever. Also some stations might want a different mix of large/medium/small pads.

Stn Layout blank bigger.jpg

As I mentioned above, skipping numbers serves no purpose and makes it difficult to be able to see a pad then use that to know where another one is, which would surely be the goal of any pad identification system.

Stations already skip numbers. Numbers are skipped in locations where equipment and buildings reside. They do not necessarily have 45 pads. Nobody seems to currently have an issue with this. Possibly never even noticed.

The numbers aren't actually skipped. They are reserved. There might be no pad at the location, but there could be. The numbers get reserved regardless of the use of the space. Similar to house numbers on a street. Or lot & concession numbers in a survey. A numbering scheme doesn't need to be done this way but it makes it more flexible for future use and better for standardization.

I just confirmed this at Woyo Mina, Cannon Vision. Coriolis Stn - Extraction. 30 pads total.
Missing pads: 1, 4, 13, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 31, 34, 40, 41, 42, 45

Last edited:
Current Layout for Woyo Mina, Cannon Vision. Coriolis Stn - Extraction. 30 pads total.
Stn Layout - Extraction.png

Current Layout for Tu Tu, Evans Orbital. Coriolis Stn - Agricultural. 24 pads total.
Stn Layout - Agricultural.png

Current Layout for Sokaring, Penzias City. Orbis Stn - Industrial. 45 pads total.
Stn Layout - Industrial.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom