A new nice video from ObsidianAnt

Keep watching those and you will never play the game again.
That's where we are today. I've been following these guys for years while I played. The views they express are very much aligned with my own, therefore I trust them to keep me informed. I still play Horizons occasionally, but I hate just about everything about Odyssey. I have around 9000 hours invested in this game, which is 1.5% of my entire life or around 1/50 of my entire concious life. The change from playing to not playing was fairly traumatic.

It's not about right/wrong, more about whether the opinion is informed or not. Facts inform opinions, not how many people listen. And then there is the issue of ulterior motives and/or bias.
the problem with that is if you follow the logic to its natural conclusion you might as well say everyone's opinion is worthless because its not based any meaningful facts since Frontier don't share all the facts (which is their choice and quite understandable in some cases). The reality is people, customers, human beings form opinions based on what they know and feel, not like a scientist might or a court of law.

Regarding ulterior motives & bias... yes I tend to agree that can be a thing.
I've been around Twitch long enough to see content creators get very salty at not being able to produce new content because pace of development doesn't suit their schedule and it impact their business. That of course then gets merged in with the feeling as a player and is hard to distinguish it depends on the person is my experience there but it does happen.

-

I don't normally do this but I've had to ignore a handful people now those that are just prolifically baiting, flaming and burying posts under rubbish (not opposing views but just complete garbage) cos its getting out of control imho.

the problem with that is if you follow the logic to its natural conclusion you might as well say everyone's opinion is worthless because its not based any meaningful facts since Frontier don't share all the facts (which is their choice and quite understandable in some cases).

In essence that is the correct conclusion, though we all try to opine to a greater or lesser degree based on what facts we can gather, which is why it's important to keep your own objectivity and don't wholly submit to the opinions of others, and if may presume to suggest that's why Ratcatcher says all our opinions are equal at the end of the day, at least that's how I take it, and I would agree.

However, it's important to add that opinions based on preference or taste have no real basis in fact apart from subjective experience ('personal truths' I guess people say now?). And that's perfectly valid: "My opinion is that all space games are trash" or "Strawberries taste awful" are examples, and we can take them for what they are when assessing the value placed on the opinion of what this person thinks about Elite after having said all space games are trash. Though of course in the other instance, it may be that the only strawberry they tried was bad so there is still that to take into account. As you suggest, it is far from black and white.

The reality is people, customers, human beings form opinions based on what they know and feel, not like a scientist might or a court of law.

To a degree, but it behooves one to apply reasonable logic and rationale in any given situation. Also, this is why there are 'expert opinions', which is another rabbit hole, especially when it comes to the news media. And no, being a youtuber by itself doesn't count as an expert opinion. :)

I don't normally do this but I've had to ignore a handful people now those that are just prolifically baiting, flaming and burying posts under rubbish (not opposing views but just complete garbage) cos its getting out of control imho.
I hope you see this then. o7

That's where we are today. I've been following these guys for years while I played. The views they express are very much aligned with my own, therefore I trust them to keep me informed. I still play Horizons occasionally, but I hate just about everything about Odyssey. I have around 9000 hours invested in this game, which is 1.5% of my entire life or around 1/50 of my entire concious life. The change from playing to not playing was fairly traumatic.
People change and it's always good to shop around to see if that trust is still merited. With all respect, I find it difficult to see how someone can hate just about everything about Odyssey, some changes are easier to accept than others, that I understand, but for Elite to progress, these changes are inevitable. I daresay listening to certain youtubers hasn't helped that, and FDev too with the humdinger that was the Odyssey launch.

With all respect, I find it difficult to see how someone can hate just about everything about Odyssey, some changes are easier to accept than others, that I understand, but for Elite to progress, these changes are inevitable.
It's only a small minority of players that didn't hate just about everything about Odyssey. If you don't get a feel of that from these forums, remember that most people who gave up hope left.
RIP.png

Top Bottom