Notice A notice on ARX (17/09)

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
Hello Commanders,

We wanted to give you a quick update on a few ARX notices ahead of the launch of the September Update tomorrow. Please find more details below:
  • Based on your feedback, we have made some amendments and reductions on ARX packs in certain currencies. Please find the amended prices below (highlighted in orange):
    • 5000 ARX - 2.99 GBP / 3.49 EUR / 3.99 USD
    • 8400 (+420 bonus) ARX - 4.99 GBP / 5.99 EUR / 6.99 USD (total ARX - 8,820)
    • 16,800 (+900 bonus) ARX - 9.59 GBP / 11.49 EUR / 12.99 USD (total ARX - 17,700)
    • 25,500 (+1,300 bonus) ARX - 12.99 GBP / 15.99 EUR / 18.99 USD (total ARX - 26,800)
    • 51,000 (+3,000 bonus) ARX - 24.99 GBP / 29.99 EUR / 37.99 USD (total ARX - 54,000)
    • 85,000 (+15,000 bonus) ARX - 44.99 GBP / 54.99 EUR / 59.99 USD (total ARX - 100,000)
      • Please note that prices for console ARX packs may vary market to market based on platform specifications, as mentioned here.

• PlayStation 4 Commanders in certain regions*:
    • ARX Packs in a number of regions will not be available at the launch of the September Update and will be gradually released throughout affected territories in the coming days.
    • Commanders in these regions will still be able to earn and spend free ARX earned in-game.
    • Any Frontier Points owned by Commanders will still be converted into ARX, and will be available for spending when the September Update launches.
*Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, UK, Ukraine

Thank you for your understanding.

If you have any questions regarding the above, please let us know here!

Last edited:
Some lower tiers were cheaper than larger ones, and they fixed that - which was I believe the aim. So they are now internally consistent. There are still differences between the currencies, but I'm less concerned about that.

As for the 400/day - that's a different, far saltier thread

Some lower tiers were cheaper than larger ones, and they fixed that - which was I believe the aim. So they are now internally consistent. There are still differences between the currencies, but I'm less concerned about that.

As for the 400/day - that's a different, far saltier thread
What I was looking at was how the ARX/<currency> varied within a single currency across the packs. US$ is still definitely off on the 54k pack compared to the others, the ARX/US$ only being 1.13x the base amount, when Euro is x1.26, and GBP x1.29. This has nothing to do with exchange rates, just with how the ARX/currency varies within a single currency.

I'd agree, it's much better but not as smooth as I'd like to see.
In Euros there's not much incentive to buy 100,000 Arx, and in dollars the 54,000 Arx is underwhelming.

This is for the 11750 Arx ship kit:

Edit: quoted the wrong person

Last edited:
About the 400 ARX Limit...It's too few...and it gets in the way of players trying to get ship kits
The reason it is too few considering how much things like Paintjobs for Ships and Ship kits Cost...What I am suggesting is that the ARX Cap be increased so that players who are interested in buying ship kits have another Logical choice in getting them, Thank you for your time and as always have a great day

Last edited:
I'm sure the (maximum) 400 ARX/week isn't mean to at all be an income fit for buying all of the items on the store. It'll be a "first taste is free" marketing thing. Frontier fully expect you to be paying real money for ARX if you really want more than the tiniest dribble of cosmetics.

And remember, before this change you couldn't earn anything in-game towards pay-for cosmetics. It might be a dribble, but it's still a positive change to the status quo.

US$37.99 for the 54,000 (with bonus) pack still seems off. $33.99 would put it more in line with the other two currencies. See the right-most three columns I added to my spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rAfvhbkHDVg676VafJKA6AVwcACiIhoNdtLaju8yVLU/edit?usp=sharing

I've checked this about 5 times now to be sure I was reading the correct figure and hadn't tyoped it.
I noticed the same thing when I updated my spreadsheet. 51k ARX pack isn't much better than the 25.5k ARX pack, value wise. Absolutely no incentive for me to pick up the 51k and go on a splurge when the 25.5k will likely suffice for what I currently plan on buying.

The 400 ARX a week feels too limited.
I say this because of how much things like ship kits costs in comparison to how much you can possibly earn a week, the most expensive ship kit, would take half a year worth of ARX grinding, and while the cheapest decals are quite easy to get, things like ship paint, COVAV (but v that doesn't include the fact that when you reach the cap, you can't continue in gaining ARX forcing you to wait till another week to continue getting this, adding to the time, thank you for your time and patiance
It's likely that to achieve 400 Arx, you will have to play for around 20 hours. That's possible in a week -- it's under 3 hours a day, every day -- but most people do not play that much. However, as the spreadsheets above shows, to get a small ship kit, you have to play the game for 653 hours. Even if there was no weekly cap, that's 24 hours a day for an entire month. If you've got any sort of life at all, you're not going to get it for several months.

Decals we'll be able to get maybe even after each session. We'll beable to save up for paint because it will only take around 25 hours of play. In theory we can save up for anything. In practice anything even approaching a pound/euro/dollar in the store now is always going to be bought with cash unless we have iron resolve and passionate dedication to the game.

The whole point of Arx is to sell us stuff. Arx makes stuff cheaper, easier to get what we want and gives us some stuff for free, so it's good for us. But it doesn't work for Frontier if we never have to pay for anything.

It's easy to ignore a balance of 0 Arx. But if you have some, and the game helpfully reminds you each time you log in, then that paintjob you were thinking of just got a lot more tempting. But who wants to wait two weeks (or so) when it's available right now with a click of a button? Great! Now you have a cool looking ship and an odd number of Arx left. But these ones are paid for. They have value. Can't waste them, especially when there's that ship kit you like, and can get in just a few weeks for free...

As revenue streams go, it's fine I suppose, as long as it's strictly confined to cosmetics. If the game goes fully pay to win then I'm out (but I don't believe it ever will).

Top Bottom