A Positive Thread- WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT ELITE: DANGEROUS?

The sound.
The graphics.
The fact that actually care for the destruction of you ship: you really feel sad when you see the assurance bill.
The fact you can influence the universe, If you know the mechanics.

I've noticed recently that threads on this forum have been predominantly negative.
This somewhat saddens me.
That is why I've decided to create this thread which will (hopefully) shine a ray of sunshine on the forum :D .
The question is simple-
What do you love about Elite: Dangerous?

A few rules before we begin though-
1. Absolutely NO negativity (not even a smidge)! :eek:
2. You may talk about anything you like that does not conflict with the first rule. :cool:
3. Have FUN. ;)

I'll start- I LOVE the sheer scale of Elite: Dangerous! It STILL takes my breath away when I zoom out on the galactic map! Also, Imperial ships rock :cool: !

THANK YOU! It's about time we had some positivity around here, what with all the whining about 'missing features'. I love this game and am trying to get as many people I know to play it. Some things I love about ED:

1. The visuals (dropping out into a ice ring is a breathtaking sight)

2. The freedom (I can wake up every morning and think "what do I want to do today?" and then off I go.

3. The sound design (have you heard the boost on an Imperial Courier yet? DO IT.)

4. Horizons (there's something beautiful and breathtaking about the emptiness of some of these planets. An entire world, population: you. Kind of sobering, and adds to the excitement when you find something over the next hill.

I love the interiors of the ships. The UI is really nicely laid out. I love that you have to turn your head to open different menus. I love how deep the combat and piloting is.

I am also totally enthralled with all the ideas already in the game from trading to exploration and to an extent - powerplay. I think FD is doing a top notch job and their team is full of amazing talent/skill!!!

I love that I'm constantly catching myself just looking at the stars, no matter how many times I've looked at them, they still capture me.

But what I love the most about Elite Dangerous...

'it's so beautiful..' my 12 yr old grandson playing the game on the XBOne, he didn't realize he'd said it aloud, he was so lost in space....

I love the sense of scale, and that I'm piloting the ship, not merely captaining it.

I also enjoy the Scarab; it might be stick and throttle, instead of the wheel and pedals that I'm used to, but I'm getting the hang of throwing it around. Just have to get used to driving in turret mode now.

The combat!

People often point to other space games to say what features Elite is missing, but Elites engine was built for the ultimate space cockpit experience and it is still without a doubt the best (I have tried them all). I love logging on and racing around a CZ, managing pips whilst manoeuvring behind ships as their thrusters kick in when they try to escape. The sound, the feel - it is just awesome!

I love that it takes me to space in the best feeling way I have ever encountered. It somehow convinces me that I'm travelling in space and landing on desert planets relying on futuristic SciFi technology.

Also, I love the way it's taking shape slowly. It's emphasizing everything which have been discarded in game development for years in favor of what is perceived as popular. Up to date, we couldn't have a 1:1 scale game world, let alone a galaxy because game makers knew it would be impossible to fill up and people would accuse the game of being shallow and devoid of content. FD, determined to take it all in stride, set out to make exactly that. Something which have been growing in the dreams of gamers and game makers alike for the past decades but always scrapped for being deemed unfeasible. Now, finally, it's changing.

Last edited:
Believe it all not I love the variety in the game - so much to do, so much I have not done yet.
Yesterday (Sunday) a little bit of mission work to counter Contrail in Anlave.

Tried out a Cobra IV - one of my friends took myself and another through large ground base assault. The mechanics of base assault are really good. Alas he failed his mission, I believe we may have be a hindrance, rather than a help!

Tried to avoid being someone else's content - trying to get said Cobra IV back to its hanger in Anlave. As Contrail have a habit of shooting me on site in Anlave had some mised success doing this.

Lovely Pics Cmdr Anders - I really like the first one. For some reason when I try to take screenshot they come "meh" at best. I'm starting to think I am as rubbish at taking photos in a game as I am in real life.

Simon

The fact that I took all of these during a session of about two hours play tonight without even making a special effort. Absurdly good looking game.

1. The nostalgia for the best game I ever played in my youth (C64 Elite 1985).
2. Open play where 99% of my experience with other players has been nothing but positive.
3. No monthly subscription fee!
4. The Fuel Rats! (Thanks again guys!)

The sound
The 1:1 Galaxy with the real known stellar objects
The 1:1 Planets
The sense of vastness
The ships
The station exteriors
The outposts
The planetary starports

Last edited:
I can just do what I want to do without any pressure to do anything in particular.

I can play the game whilst listening to the radio, which is something I enjoy.

I have another opportunity to achieve Elite, which I never managed back in 84.

Its relaxing.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
I have really enjoyed unpipcking the background sim and being part of a group that has effected regime change in a cluster of (just checking) 69 systems in a bubble around our homeland.

I love the sound (obviously) the flight model (obviously) the graphics (obviously) but what I like most of all is the realisation that every dot of light in the sky is real, i.e. its not a backdrop.

The fact that I am flying in a fairly accurately modeled version of out milkyway (as far as we know)
(tied to above) flying in said milkyway in VR. its the closest I will ever be to being there i imagine, the sense of scale is indescribable to anyone who has not played in VR imo.

the over all flight model, combining the atmosphericish flight FA on model with FA off is great fun.
(BTW star citzen imo is made great improvements there too)

the sound.......... how this did not win an award for best in game sound at those awards last year i will never know.

Last edited:
I love almost everything about it; it's a beautiful backdrop on which we can build our own stories, journeys and adventures :)

I also love positivity, so rep to everyone who's added some here :)

Oh no you don't... giving away free rep like it was candy! Have some back! :D

OP, It's nice to see a happy thread on a Monday morning no less, after the journey to work this morning it is much needed and appreciated for the smile it put on my face!

Top Bottom