A question: Are you a lone flyer or do you move with friends?

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
Like the mode I play, "Solo". I never know when I'm going to play. Sometimes I go weeks without playing. I would be a very undependable group player.

Interesting thread. I didn't expect so many solo/lone wolf responses, but I guess I should have, it's a game about going far, far off the beaten path, after all.

I guess that's what drew me to ED also; I wish I could go somewhere far, far from society but that's harder to do than you would think.

Funny how one's perspective changes. I used to be a very sociable, outgoing teenager, but a decade of life, work, betrayal, and expectation has made me realize that humanity is the crappiest species on this planet. Aside from the dung beetle.
The Dung beetle, is productive, hard working and dedicated to its task. To be blunt: Their whole lives are and their existence, is for the good of the planet's ecosystems. Do you know any humans, that can claim that?

Last edited:
Interesting thread!

Like JonesTheFilm, normally I enjoy board and card games for social activity, and like Old Duck mentioned, 'social interaction' in Elite often boils down to jumping rovers over other ships, and talking about RL inside the game. Other activities like BGS manipulation, Powerplay etc, can often be done in a solo setting alongside a number of other folks working on the same goal also in solo.

Because FDEV were conflicted between Elite's single player roots (which were awesome), and today's propensity towards multiplayer games (which help to sell microtransactions), they tried to straddle both, resulting in a fairly shambolic and rickety bridge between two content types. Which is why group gameplay (IMHO) is fairly lacklustre, and we're all (with a few exceptions) trending towards solo style play. That said, I try and maintain a social presense (Inara, Discord etc) so I can pick and choose what content to interact with, but most of my time is spent flying solo in a private group.

The Dung beetle, is productive, hard working and dedicated to its task. To be blunt: Their whole lives are and their existence, is for the good of the planet's ecosystems. Do you knew any humans, that can claim that?
Hahaha, yes, I was unfair to the noble dung beetle... ;)

I work alone. Sometimes by choice ;)
^^^
This.

My play schedule is erratic at best, frequently short, and the type of game play I enjoy isn't suited for co-op play. I will cooperate with other Commanders, but it's more in a general sense, such as BGS play or Powerplay. Thanks to mobile devices, I've got plenty of time to chat and coordinate outside the game. In the game, though? I'm usually trying to pack as much activities as possible in the limited time my life gives me.

Open only and always try to 07.

I play pretty casually so can't commit to regular sessions, and usually I'm just mooching about.

I also use voice attack which would get in the way of voice comms (I can make it push to talk but I can't be bothered to set it up)

But I would ask of you, CMDRs, are you, like me, a person who prefers to control his own destiny, or would you seek out allies and forge an empire?

I've mentioned this elsewhere recently but I'm really thankful for the small "tribe" of Commanders we've got going on over at Loren's Legion/Reapers. It's been a lot of fun getting to know the Colonia community as well (inside the game and on the Discords).

Anyway, it's taken a long while to get to where we are but the effort has been worth it. :)

I've mentioned this elsewhere recently but I'm really thankful for the small "tribe" of Commanders we've got going on over at Loren's Legion/Reapers. It's been a lot of fun getting to know the Colonia community as well (inside the game and on the Discords).

Anyway, it's taken a long while to get to where we are but the effort has been worth it. :)

That was this thread:

A small, devoted tribe is one of the best parts of my life.

There have been times where I've aligned with other players that shared a common goal and it's nice to share the workload, or to know that if you aren't actively helping towards the goal it is still being done. But those relationships are transient over the years and while I appreciate the help I don't rely on it. Other players add to my game (both co-op and adversarial) but I am not reliant on them to achieve my goals. Whether they are shared by others or opposed ultimately I only rely on myself.

A common theme coming out of this thread is methods of communication, I find this an obstacle too. I only use the in-game chat, and communication often has to take a back seat to aviation and navigation. The coordination some teams of players demonstrate is really impressive but audio comms is not something I work well with. When it's just me the whole team (of one) knows exactly what the plan is ;)

When it's just me the whole team (of one) knows exactly what the plan is ;)
When it's just me and loyal NPC followers, the whole team (of up to 4) knows exactly what the plan is. And unlike humans, NPCs usually follow orders. Usually....

What I would give for Dragon's Dogma's pawn system (that's what they call NPC followers) in ED!

I've been doing a lot of soul-searching in ED lately, as to what kind of pilot I am.

For the longest time I thought I would be a social CMDR. You might think that would be the case with the amount I've posted in this community.

But no. I just can't play this delightful game unless I'm on my own. It's reached a peak. I deleted my entire friends list just now in the game, and as such, nobody can see where I am unless they share an instance with me.

And I'm much happier for it.

I've even gone so far as to clear all my wing/MC related bindings: I've never used them, and at this point it's clear I never will.

But I would ask of you, CMDRs, are you, like me, a person who prefers to control his own destiny, or would you seek out allies and forge an empire?
70% lone wolf 30% with a handful of real life friends. I like a bit of coop PvE but only with people I know . Competitive PvP is not really my thing, I only like it when death/destruction is meaningless and in ED I want destruction to be anything but meaningless. As such in ED I have Zero interest in it. I do like a bit of CQC however.

Each to his own.
The game itself does not lend itself to much multiplay.
I would say 98% of my time is alone but would welcome a bit more interaction with other commanders.

I tried doing a few missions with other players and came to the conclusion that I find playing with/against the game to be much more satisfying.

In my own defense, I didn't grow up in the Internet Generation where sharing keystrokes with a stranger makes them a 'friend'. Right.

I would much prefer NPCs on my ships who can take orders and fly cover during missions. But that's just me. :)

I joined Mobius thinking I would meet other commanders in space but I don't see anyone. I've rarely met anyone.

There was one time I met worked a Combat Zone with a couple of commanders. I'd like to do more of that since Combat Zones are difficult alone.

Hopefully, when I come back from vacation, I can join a combat focused squadron.

When I'm doing engineering tedious chores I play solo because I don't want to risk being ganked.

Top Bottom