A reminder of a Fdev promise from 10/2017

While this is true for many other features, carriers and ice planet overhaul were specifically announced at the Frontier Expo to be included in Beyond.

Some honesty from both sides would be appreciated.

And as Paige pointed out, Carriers have not been canned, just delayed. And they did, quite honestly, say they were delayed. If it came down to putting off all of Beyond or delaying one feature, which is the better option?

Personally I say Delay the One Feature, especially since these are not going to be the 1 trillion credit mobile death platforms blowing each other apart so many are banking on them being.

Seems like it'd be a bit silly to do such a thing at a time when FDev have freely admitted that there won't be any significant updates until the end of 2020.

Well, one of our current worries isn't that it's going to be a while until there's any major new content - it's that they aren't working on content at the moment and won't be for the next 12 months.

They could easily dispel this myth(?) by simply getting a community manager to have a cup of tea with a random developer on the project every Friday lunchtime and have a casual conversation about what they are working on (assuming it isn't super secret story thing, such as upcoming thargoid/guardian stuff). Next to no effort on their part, reassures us that stuff is still ongoing as well as giving us more insight with regards to the technical side of the game development.

If they don't want to commit to giving us stuff, they can at least give us a preview of what they have so far.

If they don't want to commit to giving us stuff, they can at least give us a preview of what they have so far.
Agreed. minimal effort for a significant gain in goodwill from the player base. Although i personally would prefer a written transcript of the event. It often takes them an hour of live stream goofing off to convey 10 minutes of information, and I am short on time these days.

Personally I say Delay the One Feature, especially since these are not going to be the 1 trillion credit mobile death platforms blowing each other apart so many are banking on them being.

You make a good point, and I agree that delaying fleet carriers and ice worlds was the right call... although, with hindsight being 20/20 and considering the bugs they dropped on us with 3.3, I'd have rather they postponed the entire release and polished it a bit more rather than buggering up BGS work and various missions for months.

You make a good point, and I agree that delaying fleet carriers and ice worlds was the right call... although, with hindsight being 20/20 and considering the bugs they dropped on us with 3.3, I'd have rather they postponed the entire release and polished it a bit more rather than buggering up BGS work and various missions for months.
What was the last bug-free update?

Bugs are kind of a fact-of-life as far as Elite is concerned. I recall a post, or perhaps it was a live stream, from quite a while ago where they talked about the challenges of making even simple changes and how these have a sort of butterfly effect in seemingly unconnected parts of the game.

But had they put off 3.3, it might be 2020 until that would be released, pushing 4.x out to what? 2022? There would be rioting in the forums for sure.

OP, the post is a good idea, but you should have picked a better promised feature the whine about. There are plenty to choose from.

I agree with the fans of No Man's Sky about how Hello Games has kept their promises. I just wish I liked that game as well as I like what there is of Elite Dangerous.

Wow... People are impatient nowadays.
You know you can aways stop playing and come back when something is realeased.
Sounda like a much more healthy course of action.

I know i did.

Look, i understand that it is frustrating that they dont speak to us, and in a ideal world they would give us anything to chew on, even concept art. But game development is a constant flux, lines of code, design desicions just change too much, so i get why they do this. I dont apreciate it, but i understand.

I'll play something else on the meantime.
I hear a fella named Kojima is releasing some kinda sci-fi game or something 😜

you should definitely waste money doing that and embarrassing yourself, sounds like a great project if you wanted a slightly bleaker life

I recently read about No Man's Sky fans renting a billboard outside the game dev's HQ to thank them. It made me wonder if there is billboard ad space for rent within sight of Frontier's HQ, and what would happen if I rented it to post a big sign that just read (in the same font as the "got milk?" ads that were so prevalent in the US for awhile)

"(for)Got Fleet Carriers?
We haven't."
Uff!! There are so many things announced and never developed... We would need more than 5 billboards then! 😂

Elon Musk will have a base on mars and Donald Trump will have fleet carriers in orbit before FD deliver them in game...
Elon Musk, Mars, 2023...
D9DX6fEW4AEjbWj

"Still no Fleet Carriers?"

Here in America it means Battle Royale with funky dance moves.

I lol'd...for what it's worth.

In all seriousness, which the topic isn't very serious to begin with, give the OP a little break - it sort is a broken record now how frequently Frontier misses target deadlines and announces feature ideas then goes radio silent when the time comes and goes.
  • Fleet Carriers
  • Ice Planets
  • Open Play Only Proposal for Power Play
  • The Gnosis Incident (so much wasted potential...the fact it got stranded really isn't that bad, but so much wasted potential on making that event awesome)
  • Thargoid & Guardian Story...which started...umm, when? I dunno.

I don't actually think Frontier should be smeared or some such, anymore than I think it's bad to point out they have a tendency to goof up their communications.

If I were to invest in a billboard for Frontier, it'd probably say:

Have you seen the new Diamondback Explorer Paintjobs?
Me Neither.

I'm going to go cry in a corner with my DBX now...my poor baby in its original launch paintjob set.
It's not like it's one of the most useful and popular small ships in the game.
Or that it's the only ship with a ship kit, but no new paintjobs.
sob I wanna give them money but they won't let me

In all seriousness, which the topic isn't very serious to begin with, give the OP a little break

Thanks for the little break. Yeah, it was a joke. Or was supposed to be, anyway. Sort of a truth wrapped in a jest. It was only slightly funny to begin with, but I've laughed a lot harder at some of these folks who have taken it so seriously. I love the Internet!

Thanks for the little break. Yeah, it was a joke. Or was supposed to be, anyway. Sort of a truth wrapped in a jest. It was only slightly funny to begin with, but I've laughed a lot harder at some of these folks who have taken it so seriously. I love the Internet!

It's like I said...what's the fun of forums if you can't armchair develop a little.
I feel for anyone who works in communications for any company, not just enterntainment/gaming.
It's a tough and thankless job, but that's the business - if you want people to be passionate about your product, you have to take the good and the bad of that passion in stride.

Well, yeh, you say joking...
Might I recommend Chris Roberts to hold the crowd funding kitty?
:ROFLMAO:💰(y)

Well, yeh, you say joking...
Might I recommend Chris Roberts to hold the crowd funding kitty?
:ROFLMAO:💰(y)

Poor Chris...and I mean that as much as a jab as actual sympathy. I just hope he doesn't go Peter Molyneux (I think that's how you spell his name) and really turn to the dark side of crowdfunding entertainment ideas.

I spent two years kicking myself for not investing in Star Citizen when I first saw that incredible Squadron 52 trailer with the music from Battleship...now, well I'm sure you can guess how thankful I am. I don't even have a gaming computer anymore. I'm all PS4 for now.

There are few games in this world I absolutely pray they make it - and Star Citizen is one of them. It is so vivid and immersive when it runs right on the vids and demos I've seen. A Homeworld 3 is another of those games, along with another 'third' title that starts with an H and ends with life.

Top Bottom