A small portion of doooom.

You don't need to re-do them. If you have custom keybinds all you need to do is re-select the preset from the dropdown list after switching. You just need your preset to have a different name to the default so it doesn't get overwritten.

That's good to know.

TBH, I'm kind of worried about going back to EDH in case I get too comfortable and stay there. :unsure:

Maybe if players received say 25% more rewards for missions and for commodity sales in Open Play mode it would encourage people to try playing in open. Open is all risk and no reward at this point.
You could set the reward to 2500%. You'd still run into the problem that meeting a G5 murder boat while piloting a Type 9 isn't fun. You might get a trickle of people willing to spec a freighter for blockade running to take advantage of the higher profit margin per unit vs. lower cargo space, but mostly you'd just create another vector for exploitation.

The piracy game loop needs a victory condition for the freighter that's more than just "hey, you survived." It probably needs to be tied into the mission system to mitigate exploitation.

I saved off my binding files as soon as I'd finished the on-foot ones - the 3.0 renamed Horizons and 4.0 as Odyssey... I'm not sure where the Odyssey.binds file came from, so will have to see what it is! I'll be properly organised one day, I'm sure... :ROFLMAO:
binds.jpg

Deleted member 182079

D
Fair comment.

Speaking as somebody who's just arrived in EDO, with a new CMDR, but remembers the busiest times of ED and EDH, I think it's indisputable that there are fewer players in Open - and definitely fewer players who're in Open "by default" rather than for a specific reason (usually pew-pew) - but it IS speculative to assume they're in other modes of EDO rather than simply not being in EDO at all.
It's obviously anecdotal but I did notice when I logged into Horizons (was in Sol at the time, a few weeks ago), that I instanced with a lot more people in Horizons than in Odyssey. I guess even if you assume player numbers are the same between the two, chances are higher in EDH because people spend more time in their ships and in SC - and that in turn might also motivate people who are into (organic or otherwise) PvP to log into that instead of EDO.
Of course, that is kind of depressing since, thinking back to the launch of Horizons, it seemed like everybody vanished from ED overnight and Horizons became the "default" game.
The possibility that might not have happened with Odyssey isn't a good sign.
I don't think that Horizons split the playerbase like Odyssey does - but I have to say, how the online experience has changed for me over the past year or so (it all started with FCs to be honest and just got a lot worse with EDO); I remember some really awesome organic PvP/PvE experiences, be that pirating miners in Borann, defending those miners against gankers with other players (shoutout to @Bigmaec), playing chicken with the likes of RoA, NATO and Harry Potter et al, CODE on one hand cramping our style while trying to fight a Hydra for the first time after the Gnosis misjump, and me spontaneously winging up with CODE some time later to pirate traders during a CG in my Cobra.

Those were darn good times, and I really, really, really miss them - and unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get that back because the game has changed so much in how it's structured (let alone the current situation from a technical perspective).... it makes me quite sad.
Incidentally, I guess it should be the easiest thing in the world to simply log back into EDH and see how busy Open is.
Alas, it seems like one of the bugs with EDO is related to keybinds and I've found that every time I switch modes I have to redo them so I'm kind of "stuck" in EDO - and, of course, I genuinely do want to spend my time investigating the new gameplay it offers.
Point being, I can't easily check player numbers in EDO compared to EDH without the faff of redoing my keybinds. :confused:
As has already been suggested keybinds are not a problem if you created custom files - the game will only forget to apply them (so you need to just re-select them from the drop down). What you need to be mindful of depending on how much you value your Holo-Me is that if you switch from EDO to EDH, and then change the EDH Holo-Me, it'll overwrite/delete your existing Holo-Me in EDO. Learned that the hard way unfortunately.

I don't think that Horizons split the playerbase like Odyssey does - but I have to say, how the online experience has changed for me over the past year or so (it all started with FCs to be honest and just got a lot worse with EDO); I remember some really awesome organic PvP/PvE experiences, be that pirating miners in Borann, defending those miners against gankers with other players (shoutout to @Bigmaec), playing chicken with the likes of RoA, NATO and Harry Potter et al, CODE on one hand cramping our style while trying to fight a Hydra for the first time after the Gnosis misjump, and me spontaneously winging up with CODE some time later to pirate traders during a CG in my Cobra.

Those were darn good times, and I really, really, really miss them - and unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get that back because the game has changed so much in how it's structured (let alone the current situation from a technical perspective).... it makes me quite sad.
True dat.

I wonder when the last time was where I had real multiplayer fun in this game, but I guess it must have been shortly before the end of the war in Carcosa.
Carcosa, Borann, Gnosis, Operation Ida, Thargoids attacking the Oracle, all those times are long gone.

Odyssey split the player base in more ways than only Horizons-Odyssey, it also drove (in my view) a lot of players into solo, including me,
because the drop system of Odyssey is abysmal enough to not ALSO bother with possible PvP.

Deleted member 182079

D
That's good to know.

TBH, I'm kind of worried about going back to EDH in case I get too comfortable and stay there. :unsure:
I've been switching back and forth a bit recently, and I have to say... Horizons plays, feels and looks just so much better compared to Odyssey, but the problem is when I play Horizons I'm re-treading old ground (having done pretty much all there is to do, beside some more extreme stuff like visiting Beagle etc., l don't have the patience for that), and the point of buying and playing Odyssey was to play new content.

Unfortunately, while the thought of playing Odyssey is still quite appealing to me on paper at least, in practice it's usually not - so I'm kinda stuck between both and with bugs now spilling into Horizons and with that being on borrowed time anyways (until they merge the two) it feels I shouldn't be putting too much time into it. If I knew there was more ship related content coming, I'd probably be less concerned but I reckon the sole focus will be getting Odyssey in better shape, and content wise they'll probably focus on expanding on-foot stuff as that is where the money is now (new & shiny, sort of at least).

Deleted member 182079

D
True dat.

I wonder when the last time was where I had real multiplayer fun in this game, but I guess it must have been shortly before the end of the war in Carcosa.
Carcosa, Borann, Gnosis, Operation Ida, Thargoids attacking the Oracle, all those times are long gone.

Odyssey split the player base in more ways than only Horizons-Odyssey, it also drove (in my view) a lot of players into solo, including me,
because the drop system of Odyssey is abysmal enough to not ALSO bother with possible PvP.
Good question - I'd say for me it was probably Borann 2 (post-FC release) - and even then it was watered down already because a lot of people copped on that mining in Solo is less risky, heck I initially joined with my FC to transport miners back and forth but when I realised that most of them play in Solo I thought what's the point if I don't even see them docking on my carrier, like ghost ships pfft. There were a few trader CGs where I didn't even sign up but just went in with my Viper to play cat and mouse with gankers, but I did spend a lot more time waiting for any players to show up at all so gave up in the end.

As for Odyssey - my very first multi-player experience was taking a mission to a settlement and when I arrived another CMDR was already there, and it appeared they already powered up the settlement (that was in fact my task), so not only did they add performance issues but they messed with my PvE game. And on-foot PvP in Elite doesn't appeal to me - if I wanted that I'd rather get one of the dedicated shooters and play that instead.

Top Bottom