Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hello Commanders,

We wanted to take some time to address some of the concerns the community has raised regarding the use of cheats in Elite Dangerous.

Cheating in our game is something that we take very seriously, and do not condone. Using a cheat engine, mod, hack etc. is in direct violation of the Terms and Service and EULA agreed to by all players upon setting up a Frontier account. We support honest competition between players, different playstyles and each Commander’s ability to blaze their own trail, and we strive for them to be able to do this in a fair, safe environment.

We continuously work alongside our development and support teams to combat the tools that make cheating possible, and to take action against accounts found to be using them.

As with any online game, combatting cheating is an ongoing process, and something that we are always working against. We work continuously to review and improve the tools, tracking and the safeguards required in order to tackle issues when they arise. We are not able to discuss the specifics of tools and processes that we have, as this would give the cheaters a significant advantage in being able to circumvent these efforts.

When it comes to taking actions against accounts we have identified as using cheats, we review every report on a case by case basis. While there has been a level of discussion regarding these cheats within the community recently, we can assure people that the number of people using these are a very tiny number of players. We are still working on new and improved ways of stopping these cheats and tracking and measuring activity now and in the past.

We strongly advise that no player runs Elite Dangerous using a cheat client, hack, software mod etc as this will put your account at risk now, and in the future.

We also advise against promoting or publicising of any programs which claim to mod/hack or cheat for Elite Dangerous. Doing so can give players a false sense of legitimacy regarding these programs and ultimately lead to increased risk to players accounts. Rest assured that we continue to actively work on and address cheating in all forms and will continue to do so.

If you come across a player you suspect is cheating, please do use the in-game reporting tool to send us that information. You’re also welcome to contact our support team via a ticket to provide supporting evidence such as photos or videos.

Thank you for your time, and fly safe.

Last edited:
Rest assured that we continue to actively work on and address cheating in all forms and will continue to do so.

Hard to believe this when hackers keep coming back even after plenty of reports against them.

This post feels so empty of substance. You can at least tell us how many players you've banned in the last months. Plenty of companies do this. Just make up a number.

You can at least tell us how many players you've banned in the last months. Plenty of companies do this. Just make up a number.
This! I mentioned this earlier but we really need some hard data for us to believe that the cheaters are actually getting banned. Please, understand that although I personally trust the judgement of FDev but many don't and it will be to the benefit of all of us if Frontier provides us with numbers.

When it comes to taking actions against accounts we have identified as using cheats, we review every report on a case by case basis.

So banning the guy who blocked Jameson Memorial with a Beluga wasn't just an accidental own goal then? It was a considered and deliberate action taken against a peaceful act of civil disobediance, protest and awareness building?

🤐 (see here)

Last edited:
Wonderfull we warned frontier for years, even other software developers warned about how weak the security is .
Players that where cheating with all types of measures and in game bugs , only got action taken against them when its made public by others on streams like twitch, YouTube or Forums like redit .

And now the full blown cheats and software used is made public frontier is concerned by UELA.

I think frontier is regretting cancelling the standalone version.

Except for the fact (some) people cheat, my only issue is the lack of proper punishment (as far as we know).
As per the rules we agree on by making an account, I think people using a 3rd party tool to outright cheat ingame should be dealt with swift and a prompt total ban and close of said account and any account using same email/creditcard/paypal/etc. Especially since certain tools will even indirectly affect other players, no matter the mode played in.

Although I don't expect you to release even a vague number estimate of banned accounts, I really think this would be a positive action from you in the eyes of the community.

Best regards
MDH

Deleted member 110222

D
No. I am not going to say "thank you FD", because you don't deserve it IMO.

Deal with the cheaters first. Then we can talk. This statement is just corporate rubbish to try and appease the shareholders who are now worried about profits.

Change-My-Mind.jpg

Hello Commanders,

We wanted to take some time to address some of the concerns the community has raised regarding the use of cheats in Elite Dangerous.
Also, if I remember correctly, Will already said something to this effect a couple of weeks ago. At this point, making this statement is hardly going to have any effect on the player base cause the players who play fair will continue to do so and those who cheat will not be deterred. This is sadly just creating more toxicity in the forums. Please think of the community and give us hard data which can reinstate the faith of many.

Remember the engineering cheat/exploit 1 material tier 5 god roles. Frontier would punish those players remove all engineerd equipment, ban players. Havent seen any of that .
Frontier havent done any thing against those cheaters.
Nah, they never said they would ban anyone if I recall correctly, just remove the offending modules which as I understand, they did.

Hello Commanders,

"some concerns" doesn't sound very important...

Cheating in our game is something that we take very seriously, and do not condone. Using a cheat engine, mod, hack etc. is in direct violation of the Terms and Service and EULA agreed to by all players upon setting up a Frontier account. We support honest competition between players, different playstyles and each Commander’s ability to blaze their own trail, and we strive for them to be able to do this in a fair, safe Environment.
"not condone", "support", "strive to" all not very strong wordings

We continuously work alongside our development and support teams to combat the tools that make cheating possible, and to take action against accounts found to be using them.

As with any online game, combatting cheating is an ongoing process, and something that we are always working against. We work continuously to review and improve the tools, tracking and the safeguards required in order to tackle issues when they arise. We are not able to discuss the specifics of tools and processes that we have, as this would give the cheaters a significant advantage in being able to circumvent these efforts.
Not very informative, nor reassuring.

When it comes to taking actions against accounts we have identified as using cheats, we review every report on a case by case basis. While there has been a level of discussion regarding these cheats within the community recently, we can assure people that the number of people using these are a very tiny number of players. We are still working on new and improved ways of stopping these cheats and tracking and measuring activity now and in the past.
"A tiny number" because otherwise it would look bad? Why not giving out numbers how many people have been shadow banned? Permabanned?

We strongly advise that no player runs Elite Dangerous using a cheat client, hack, software mod etc as this will put your account at risk now, and in the future.
Again "advise", "account at risk" all not very strong words.

We also advise against promoting or publicising of any programs which claim to mod/hack or cheat for Elite Dangerous. Doing so can give players a false sense of legitimacy regarding these programs and ultimately lead to increased risk to players accounts. Rest assured that we continue to actively work on and address cheating in all forms and will continue to do so.

If you come across a player you suspect is cheating, please do use the in-game reporting tool to send us that information. You’re also welcome to contact our support team via a ticket to provide supporting evidence such as photos or videos.
I take out of this you can't detect cheaters by yourself, so you have to rely on your playerbase to send you reports. Seriously?

It took you three weeks since ryan posted his thread to give an answer and we get this? I'm sorry, but I don't think this is reassuring.

The Replicated Man

T
So banning the guy who blocked Jameson Memorial with a Beluga wasn't just an accidental own goal then? It was a considered and deliberate action taken against a peaceful act of civil disobediance, protest and awareness building?
Alec the guy had been using the cheats for months. Even using them in PvP. This was just the nail in the coffin for his account. Thats why he wasn't on Exegious stream last night.

Alec the guy had been using the cheats for months. Even using them in PvP. This was just the nail in the coffin for his account. Thats why he wasn't on Exegious stream last night.
Really? OK ... I heard his interview and he came across as a very reasonable person. If what you say is true then I've misjudged both him and Frontier and made a of myself in the process! 😬
I'll go back to SRV racing.

Yeah, he's not the peaceful martyr that he was painted by some to be.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom