Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
yea, a strong metaphor indeed :(

But apparently everyone thinks that FDev has a Cheats OFF button that they do not want to press.
While the architecture (prone to cheats) and the No Subscription Policy were decided like 5 years ago.

How many people that claim to love this game would actually pay a monthly subscription for each commander they have in the game?

yea, a strong metaphor indeed :(

But apparently everyone thinks that FDev has a Cheats OFF button that they do not want to press.
While the architecture (prone to cheats) and the No Subscription Policy were decided like 5 years ago.

How many people that claim to love this game would actually pay a monthly subscription for each commander they have in the game?

Depending on the price and what it would provide for, I would!

Would you like to elaborate on that?

Sure. What are you going to do if you're ever faced with a cheater? Or do you believe that scenario will never occur?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Congratulations, you identified the exception to the rule that I suspect lots of people already know.

Here's some questions, and a chance to prove you're not just trying to score points, do you ever leave Shinrarta? Do you engage in any mission running out of Shinrarta, any work or activity with other factions or people? Do you have any friends that do?

If so, then I suspect cheating does actually affect you. Whether or not you care is another issue, but if you don't, why post here at all?

Yes (as I said in my first reply), no, yes (not sure if you could call doing stupid things in the name of science, or racing, applicable though), yes.

It doesn't affect me, it most certainly does affect people I know and virtually everyone else who I am friends with. I've made my standpoint very clear on cheating over the years and it won't change.

So if you want to answer a question, do you think anyone who cheats should be permabanned? Because if the answer is yes then I would suspect you'll find this forum would be a lot less populated :)

Last edited:

The Replicated Man

T
So if you want to answer a question, do you think anyone who cheats should be permabanned? Because if the answer is yes then I would suspect you'll find this forum would be a lot less populated :)
Yes. Frontier should permaban cheaters. The same goes for loggers as well.

I'd be happy with the forums being cleared out of all the Riff-Raff.

Sure. What are you going to do if you're ever faced with a cheater? Or do you believe that scenario will never occur?

Not sure I would even notice t be honest. I fly mostly small ships with no engineering so am often blown up before I can escape. I would guess the cheater card gets thrown around far more often than it actually occurs.
As far as cheat detection goes, every engine that I know of has problems with false positives including the vaunted Battle Eye so many talk about.
Frontier (and the cheat sites themselves) verify that bans occur so FDev is doing something about it,
Their policy of no naming and shaming (even from them) has been around as long as the game expecting them to start now (especially to assuage the feelings of some players) is probably a stretch.
So for the time being if I think someone is cheating (i would have to get gud first) I will report and move on.
Hanging on to the drama like a dog on a bone would be far more detrimental to my peace of mind.

Take care
and enjoy

Goose4291

Banned
As far as cheat detection goes, every engine that I know of has problems with false positives including the vaunted Battle Eye so many talk about.

'False positives' in BattleEye in my experience are usually the results of angry 12 yr old E-Sgts banning people from their super-serious Mil-Sim Servers (or bad mod makers not providing a BiKey for their work).

Perhaps you should read the post you've quoted without your bias spectacles on then?

Troopi asked if someone can attest to the scenario. I confirmed I not only did do it, but did it despite not being the best pilot in the game with a near starter level ship.

If you can rewrite the post without being derrogatory to those who are not interested in PvP, i will read it.

Shrug and move on. Like I said, I stopped bothering about whether I could directly stop someone affecting the BGS a long time ago and I don't cry if someone destroys my pixel spaceship. Its a game, if it gets to the point where I can't play it, which has happened a few times in the past, then I will put it down and play something else and come back to it later.

The Replicated Man

T
While I do agree in general, when it comes to combat loggers you'd have to provide a reliable way to separate true logging from all sorts of other potential reasons (like the quite common 24 hours disconnect forced by most providers). Good luck with that. The most horrible vision would be if these loggers were identified by 'gut feelings' alone or opaque statistics. I'd left combat loggers out of the equation for now cause that's an almost impossible to solve border case.
It's easy for FDEV to determine a normal 15 second log from a taskkill. In regards to the ISP problems you mentioned, that would be up to Frontier to take into account.

AFK turretboat heal beamers can sit in PG and farm all day in PP, because the PP CZs are old school.

No, i think you misunderstand. Can the bots that exist at the moment select the right CZ (presumably high for efficiency) and run back and forth when the CZ is over? Are they that advanced? I understand how it might not be hard for PP runs, since it simple destination programming and collection/delivery of stuff.

I'm thinking from a programming perspective and wondering how easy it would be to do such a thing in relation to CZ to make it work efficiently, and not just sit in CZ shooting targets that are not there or even in range.

Are you speculating about how capable these bots are, or have you investigated them and determined they can do this sort of thing?

Its the same for mission running. How can a bot determine if its a mission worth taking and that it can be completed and then select the right reward for max inf. What missions would they be capable of? And what happens if the mission board doesn't have any missions it can do?

Yes. Frontier should permaban cheaters.

And they will be right back with a new account tied to a new email for a low low price as they bought spare accounts during sales.

Sure, the accounts need to be permabanned once they are confirmed to be cheaters, but its not a full solution. They need better detection routines.

The Replicated Man

T
And they will be right back with a new account tied to a new email for a low low price as they bought spare accounts during sales.

Sure, the accounts need to be permabanned once they are confirmed to be cheaters, but its not a full solution. They need better detection routines.
IP and Hardware Ban. Kinda hard to get a alt account when your Harddrive's been blacklisted.

No, i think you misunderstand. Can the bots that exist at the moment select the right CZ (presumably high for efficiency) and run back and forth when the CZ is over? Are they that advanced? I understand how it might not be hard for PP runs, since it simple destination programming and collection/delivery of stuff.

I'm thinking from a programming perspective and wondering how easy it would be to do such a thing in relation to CZ to make it work efficiently, and not just sit in CZ shooting targets that are not there or even in range.

Are you speculating about how capable these bots are, or have you investigated them and determined they can do this sort of thing?

Its the same for mission running. How can a bot determine if its a mission worth taking and that it can be completed and then select the right reward for max inf. What missions would they be capable of? And what happens if the mission board doesn't have any missions it can do?

I do not know with new style CZs. AFK turretboat heal beamers have been demonstrated on Healies4Feelies.

All things considered, absolutely.

Don't let the door hit yah where the good lord split yah, I say!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom