Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As far as I am aware none exist, because in part there is no need due to the AFK boats. As far as cheating in a new CZ, if you have one shot kills mods, you could mercilessly spank any while hoovering up credits from massacre missions. Remember war bonds don't have a pronounced effect on the outcome, so if you can rack up wins alone you have won (so trips back and forward are not required).

Sure, but were we not talking about bots and automating the process. Sure, you can make it quicker and less effort, but the question is, could you fire it up, walk away, return hours later, and it would be beavering away? Or do you have to sit by the comp, periodically alt-tabbing and issuing instructions?

The difference would be between someone being able to do it for hours or someone being able to leave it running 24/7.

Goose4291

Banned
Turretboats sure, and you could do that without cheats (cheers engineers!). The question was about bots and their functionality.

Based on the documentation we've seen regarding Powerplay debacle (where yet again, the 62nd Braben's Own White Knight Regiment of Horse, 2nd Anti-change Battalion denied there even were bots, let alone that they posed a threat to the regular playerbase) right now the bots can undock, fly to a CZ, deploy turrets, go about on a MDK rampage, RTB, land and sell their bonds and repeat the loop in ad nauseam with no participation on their part beyond initiating it.

It would take very little I imagine for these admitedly intelligent individuals in terms of creativity to problem solve round the changes and extend that to the new Mechanics.

Based on the documentation we've seen regarding Powerplay debacle (where yet again, the 62nd Braben's Own White Knight Regiment of Horse, 2nd Anti-change Battalion denied there even were bots, let alone that they posed a threat to the regular playerbase) right now the bots can undock, fly to a CZ, deploy turrets, go about on a MDK rampage, RTB, land and sell their bonds and repeat the loop in ad nauseam with no participation on their part beyond initiating it.

It would take very little I imagine for these admitedly intelligent individuals in terms of creativity to problem solve round the changes and extend that to the new Mechanics.

Thanks, that is what i was looking for. Then indeed, that is troubling for war situations.

One has to wonder then, how many cheaters there are doing this.

Goose4291

Banned
Hmm... ok, so the bots and cheat can work hand in hand, makes sense. But is it clever enough to detect when a CZ is finished? As i understand the effect on the BGS now is greater if you complete the CZ and not just gather bonds.

Do you have any knowledge of this?

Based on dabbling with Thargoid stuff, the new CZ side of things seems to be mostly a pretty GUI with a little incentive towards filling the box, but still heavily rewarding transactional interactions.

Which is why I can fly to a Thargoid Infested system and assist in the process by killing any scouts I find in an AX Conflict Zone, leaping out when the big boys arrive to cash in my bonds and repeat the process.

CAVEAT: Please note I'm no longer massively playing in this manner to give a solid answer someone like Walt Kerman might be able to offer.

Goose4291

Banned
Thanks, that is what i was looking for. Then indeed, that is troubling for war situations.

One has to wonder then, how many cheaters there are doing this.

Probably a fair few. Even worse, I bet they're multi-boxing too.

Because as I've always said, E-Spaceships always seem to bring the crazy out in people.

Probably a fair few. Even worse, I bet they're multi-boxing too.

Because as I've always said, E-Spaceships always seem to bring the crazy out in people.

I can imagine some indeed do multi-boxing. I know some cheaters keep multiple accounts (presumably bought up during sales) so if you have them available, might as well just run them together. I presume you could even run a few on a single decent PC via VMs as long as you ran only the base game, not Horizons... i suppose on some you might even be able to run Horizons (not sure about the current state of VMware and the likes for full 3D support, i know it was pretty good last time i checked).

I suppose we can never know though how many are doing it and how many care about the BGS, but when people get competitive, some resort to cheating.

For exploits it would be over the top. On that note before the PvP haters roll in let's all keep in mind the OP doesn't mention exploits at all. Installing software to hack the game is way worse than manipulating poor code for an unintended result. Fixing the code and then removing the ill-gotten gains is as fair as this kind of thing can get.

EDIT: Clarity.

Maybe you should only play with people you trust then. I think the PvP cheating issue is just a matter of picking a private group, only you don't want to have to compromise, which is understandable but still a self-solving problem. The BGS/PP issues are harder to solve.

And yet not thick enough.

Yes he can, he's under no obligation though.

More than thick enough, i said i simply wouldn't read the rest of his post due to it, doesn't mean i felt personally insulted about it. After all, i mainly fly in open myself these days.

And of course he's under no obligation to be nice. Just as i have no obligation to read drivel like that. (and of course, nobody is under obligation to read my drivel either ;))

More than thick enough, i said i simply wouldn't read the rest of his post due to it, doesn't mean i felt personally insulted about it. After all, i mainly fly in open myself these days.

And of course he's under no obligation to be nice. Just as i have no obligation to read drivel like that. (and of course, nobody is under obligation to read my drivel either ;))

Claiming that his post is derogatory indicates otherwise.

The Replicated Man

T
I did, i found it funny. And not PvPers, gankers. That small subset of PvPers who delight in killing weaker targets. Come on, you must find something funny about that?
Thats the thing. I also see a difference between someone who likes cheap thrills and killing weaker targets for fun, and someone who actually PvPs skill matched opponents.

Both are PvPers, but one might say of a different class.

What changed was them not doing anything for 6 months. This is the SOP for reporting vulnerabilities in the tech industry, btw. You inform, give a window to correct, and then go public if they don't. It is not my responsibility to ensure the integrity of FDev's game, it's theirs. PvPers have been facing rampant hacking for nearly a year now which is why we decided to try and do something about it. What do you do when you bring something to the dev's attention and they do nothing about it? You make others aware.

If more people are cheating because of the awareness, I say good. FDev should do something to fix the problem and their community that encourages cheating more than any other game community that I've interacted with. For years, on this very forum, people openly encouraged combat logging (and still do) as a way to avoid legitimate gameplay and FDev did absolutely nothing to help the problem. Mods on this forum openly sympathized with combat loggers and some even combat logged themselves. This behavior absolutely ruined PvP piracy.

Keep in mind though that the specific hack we did our post was locked down a day after our post went up, so the cheats that are being used aren't the ones we posted about.

You did more than inform, you lead people to believe the cheating is way more prevalent than it probably was
Rampant hacking??? so how come the forums were so quiet until you stir it up?

IF you based your "there are a lot of cheaters" claims on HarryPotters ability to recognize cheaters during his streams, i rest my case.

The Replicated Man

T
You did more than inform, you lead people to believe the cheating is way more prevalent than it probably was

IF you based your "there are a lot of cheaters" claims on HarryPotters ability to recognize cheaters during his streams, i rest my case.
Someone had to address it and quit pretending that all was well.

Harry may have jumped the gun a bit in that scenario. However I counter your statement by saying that a Mosty Harmless CMDR that is fully engineered and flying the way that specific CMDR flew, would indeed raise a red flag.

The logical conclusion would be an alt account or cheating. And it turned out to be the former.

ryan_m

Banned

Because PvPers generally don't use the forums because of biased modding and the toxicity of the community. Harry runs into more hackers than anyone else in this game specifically because of his visibility, and that scenario, while legit, lends itself to some skepticism. It was a PvPer on a fresh alt account that dunked on him which is always suspect.

I could post 20+ videos of my friends and I encountering obvious cheaters but that is against forum rules so I'll get moderated for it.

Only if they notice. I am aware of both

i only occasionally vaguely am. and i maybe even would give a damn if it weren't an exploit/cheat ridden cheese.

i mean, i could even be ok with the massive parallel zerg zombie grinding system (TM), my character would happily immolate himself to that, if it even were implemented properly.

a shame. such a big, big shame. oh well, luckily for him my char has no problem being a complete sociopath and living far removed from all those poor sods mad with fear, hate, greed, power and drowning in their own bullcrap. no problem! (y)

So you log in your favorite starport and find the BGS made the faction you got your palladium missions from has been ousted. Or your IF vanished. Not affected? Granted, those are niche cases and don't affect you much, but my point stands they affect you. You may not care, which depends on your playstyle, but the whole game is built on the premise that everything is affected more or less by the BGS.

I understand what you are saying and yes cheaters affect the BGS in the same way that player groups and singles players. Yes, the mission board changes, yes there is a different picture greeting me, so yes I accept that the game is affected, ergo I am affected. But, it doesn't affect me.

I can see that someone using a trainer can target a player group and tank the systems they play in, in the same way that another player group can/does or that (once upon a time) a single player could using UA bombing. I wonder how much this is really happening though, I imagine its only when someone is targeting another group for a specific reason/grievance which is a bit sad really and in my opinion on a par with someone sitting in Eravate in an ubervette killing noobwinders. Each to their own I guess.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom