A tale and a Warning to ALL!

Sounds like you need to go exploring. Out in the black credits don't matter, and you gain a completely different perspective. The only thing that becomes important is the next Witchspace jump.
this. but i would add a warning: if you get the explorer bug you wont ever be the same again. its a one way trip. and being out there... well lets just say we are all a little crazy. although others have said totally nuts is closer.

While I don't agree with what the TC did, he/she did own up and take responsibility for it and didn't blame the game or FD.

I see a lot of mocking and finger pointing on here and perhaps in some ways it's deserved, but at least the TC wasn't blaming others like some often seem to.
Gotta give him/her credit for that.

I miss the first iteration of Robigo... you could get paid a ton, but you'd be chased by an NPC per mission you took, all of them would drop into the instance if you got interdicted, and if any of them scanned you (even a pirate) all your missions would instantly fail. You could balance out risk vs profit: do you take just 3 missions and almost guarantee an OK payout, or twenty missions for a mad payoff and have fifteen scans go off the moment you got interdicted? (which happened a lot when you need to jump 15 times just to get back in the bubble - this was before engineered FSDs)

I miss those, too. Having this thrill back would be fun. If the scanning system security ever comes back I hope it won't feel as scripted as this particular implementation back in the days.

The best part about those missions and now the long range delivery missions for me was the fact that I could have a focused play session where I complete those missions without getting bored and still earn a decent amount of credits. I could probably earn more if I did A-B-trading or regular missions for allied factions, but this becomes repetitive quickly.

With Robigo, Sothis and Ceos it's more like: Stack up on missions (within a couple of hours while doing something else), fly back, deliver the cargo. By the time the repetition kicks in you are done, but have earned a decent amount of credits.

Lots of opinions... yet the OP is completely correct, and there's no going back from it... The bubble used to be a relatively interesting place.. you were forced into playing in a multitude of different ways and making credits wasn't easy. Rares runs, combat zones, CGs, a bit of pirating.. after quite a long time you're finally maybe buying a bigger ship and realise trading is actually a great way of getting some more rebuy credits..

I might sound too old to this game now (15 weeks playtime approx), but back in the day you had to work for your goals and dreams of larger ships, different ships and the credits to load them out. And now? Everyone and his dog can get the credits they need to go buy a Cutter, Corvette, whatever, in no time using dumb exploits that have, quite frankly. killed the game and made it a pretty dreary place...

I always scan these forums from time to time and see the same old 'i was ganked' but i can tell you for certain that part of the reason for this, certainly from the old school, is that when you see some 'competent' CMDR flying around in a Cutter, he's probably fast-tracked there and it kinda pains those that used to enjoy this game. Call it petty, but there's always gonna still be plenty that will take something away from killing some 'competent' pilot in his shiny Cutter whilst he flounders around not knowing where or what the hell is going on.. and there are also those that are so hacked off with the the direction this game has gone that they're beyond bored and ganking is a backlash at FD themselves.

So, yeah, talk about the exploits for making fast cash anyways you wish, but the reality is that it shoulda been plugged from the off. Yet the damage was done long long ago now, still continues and there's no going back.. dumb FD.

The problem with this is there is more than one route. That "competent" commander could quite easily be elite in trade and/or exploration. Just because they've not fought much, doesn't mean that they've not worked for their ship.

The problem with this is there is more than one route. That "competent" commander could quite easily be elite in trade and/or exploration. Just because they've not fought much, doesn't mean that they've not worked for their ship.

This ^.

I'm a 2 year player, almost to Elite in Exploration, half way there on trading, and still "Competent" in Combat.

Pleez dun shoot meh. :eek:

This is why we don't exploit the game kids

They give low payouts missions that is some offer a pretty decent amount of credits, but you sent limited to missions you can do lots of other things to make 10x the amount of credits than most missions in half the time, I'd give the game another go, clear your save and start fresh then try new things, there's always something to do and that's what keeps me playing, I've almost been playing a year and my most expensive and best ships are the Fer De Lance and Python, and I only have 130 million left in my bank,

I started playing ED a couple years ago, before there were so many easy credits. I've avoided the exploits and just played for the fun of it. I've done my share of grinding, for exploration and trading ranks, but not specifically for credits. I generally don't fly a big ship and hardly ever die, so credits just aren't that necessary for me and tend to accumulate.

Somehow, I've wound up with a billion cr in cash without really trying.

I'm still not bored with the game; there's lots to do. Right now, I'm trying to find a Unknown Probe, to put in my newly-acquired Corrosion Resistant cargo rack. Later, I plan to visit the Alien Installations. These are activities which provide satisfaction, not credits.

Last edited:
And this is why I refuse to use these bizarre places. Lol

Free money (in games) is boring.

I've nearly unlocked the Corvette without grinding the known places*, or really grinding at all. 48~% to go. :)
If the mission isn't interesting, I don't do it.

*Admittedly, in a moment of weakness, I went to Sothis. But promptly left again an hour later after realising how mind numbingly bored it was.

Nearly all games I've cheated on, I've ended up being completely bored of, really quickly.
I love ED too much to ruin it with cheating or exploits.
(I know Quince is neither, but it feels that way to me).

Fly safe. Play smart!

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

This....^

The OP does have a point though. We get a lot of players both new and old who made billions in Quince. They all got what they consider "end game" ships in a few weeks, and then all we hear is that the game is too easy and missions don't pay enough. As respondents said, there are other ways to play once you are rich, but (especially) console players want immediate progress and to win. Whereas in Elite, there is no winning. Like in real life, you win only if you last longer.

We get calls every week for bigger ships, be it the panther or playable capital ships. If these silly "easy mode" systems like (but not limited to) Quince didn't exist, we'd have less trouble.

Between that and exploits, I get more and more convinced that a galactic reset wouldn't be better for all of us. With a few changes to ensure it can still be interesting. And tbh, with the standard forum advice for anything being to wipe save, then I can only assume people would be ok with it too.

I just want one or two additional CMDR slots so I can revisit the early game experience with an alt. That'd do for me, no galaxy-wide wipe needed.

I started playing ED a couple years ago, before there were so many easy credits. I've avoided the exploits and just played for the fun of it. I've done my share of grinding, for exploration and trading ranks, but not specifically for credits. I generally don't fly a big ship and hardly ever die, so credits just aren't that necessary for me and tend to accumulate.

Somehow, I've wound up with a billion cr in cash without really trying.

I'm still not bored with the game; there's lots to do. Right now, I'm trying to find a Unknown Probe, to put in my newly-acquired Corrosion Resistant cargo rack. Later, I plan to visit the Alien Installations. These are activities which provide satisfaction, not credits.

Agree 100%. Sure we all want better ships, better components, bigger ships, A rated, Engineered...... but it's the journey that counts. I didn't buy this game to "win", I bought it to "play". I think I have over $1.5B, lots of ships, and have tried everything but pirating. And I still enjoy doing the CG's (just finished the BH, no on my way to the Alien base), looking forward to trying out my first corvette soon, and putzing around with engineers in between adventures. Sorry to hear you burned out on exploits, you missed the whole point of the game.

If you make good money on an opportunity don't feel bad about it, bank it and move on to other things. Having a good credit balance means you don't need to concern yourself with credits/hour go do the non-profit stuff

You don't need missions to have fun. I almost never do missions. You have a full scale galaxy to play with that has countless things to do. Blaze your own trail.

Elite isn't the game for people who need to be told what to do or have some arrow to follow and credits are just a number at a certain point.

I have created this account to tell me tale and post a warning to Elite Dangerous players!

I have now stopped playing this superb game but it is NOT the devs fault or the games, it is MY fault and my fault alone.. BEWARE!

I bought the game on the PS4 launch day, I love space games and have for decades, I fell in love with the game within an hour of playing it, so immersive, such fun!

However I struggled to make decent credits (by 'decent' I mean more than 20,000 an hour) So after looking around and reading various places I found out about Quince!

Off I went to Quince, took me a good day to get there but once there I was making a fortune! Planet scan missions I'd pick up 5-10-15 of them at a time and with the planet being so close I could get 3-8 million credits in under 6 mins!!

Soon I had 200m , then 3, then 5 then 700m

By then I had got to the point of picking up scan missions, doing them and then ramming my ship into the ground as it would save me the time to fly back and dock. (yes, really)

After doing this daily for a month, I got tired of it and this is where I ran into trouble.

I bought myself a Python, outfitted it and tried going to various places, but all the stations I found only offered me what I saw as "pointless" missions, ie ones for 50k, 200k or 1.1m

Did I want to do a mission that would take me an hour for 200k? no way!! , did I want to do a passenger mission for 5m that would take me 4-5 days to do? no way!!

I had been utterly spoiled by Quince and now I didn't even want to leave the dock unless I was getting paid 5-10m

a week of trying various things my love for the game waned and everything was "too much hassle for too little pay".

as from today the game isn't even installed on my PS4 anymore, I deleted the game files to get some space back because I know I won't be going back to it.

I know I ruined the game for myself by doing these runs over and over, I just hope my tale helps someone from falling into the same trap and spoiling the game for themselves in the same way I did.

That is all I wanted to say and goodbye.
peace, out!

TLDR...

Please FD nerf the quince. The rest is just trolling.

what NW3 said, this is a game with no end game, i.e. something you continually play "with", yep a toy sounds about right!
If you get bored or tired of a grind, look in the mirror you chose to do it [alien]

Sounds like OP thought you win the game by earning credots and forgot about how to have fun and set goals that make credits useful.

Which is a good suggestion that lasts a little while and then you realize that the missions aren't fun, the systems are all the same despite different layouts and there's nothing to do in the game other than make credits and the only thing you can do with those credits is buy ships and stuff for ships ...which you quickly grow tired of since eventually you'll get the ship you want and you dont have to bother yo-yo'ing between it and any other ships because there's no real specialization needed to accomplish anything in the game.

Fix the exploit sure, but that's not going to make the game fun. Fdev still needs to create missions and gameplay that dont revolve around acquiring currency that ends up being worthless after a short amount of time even if you're not exploiting anything.

Exactly. ED isn't even a "game" per se; it's a "toy". A game can be "won". A toy is something you "play" with.
Agree with you both. ED isn't a game you finish or win. There's no ultimate goal, task, quest, like in other games. It's rather the ultimate open ended game. "Go anywhere. Do anything. But we won't tell you what we think you should do." Frustration over ED comes when a player doesn't "get it" yet.

The truth is, I was there myself a few months back. I was frustrated. Did Quince and other methods to make money. I knew I eventually should try exploration, which I did, and got hooked. Now the game is all about travelling rather than doing things. It's the journey more than destination now. Enjoying being in space. Flying my own space ship. I just want more to explore, but other than that, money isn't the goal anymore.

I got a second account, and on that one, I'm going to play "right" from start. Not trying to make the big league or become a king with billions of credits, but rather become a character that partake in the larger story (powerplay perhaps).

It's not a game, it's a life style... :D

Which is a good suggestion that lasts a little while and then you realize that the missions aren't fun, the systems are all the same despite different layouts and there's nothing to do in the game other than make credits and the only thing you can do with those credits is buy ships and stuff for ships ...which you quickly grow tired of since eventually you'll get the ship you want and you dont have to bother yo-yo'ing between it and any other ships because there's no real specialization needed to accomplish anything in the game.

Fix the exploit sure, but that's not going to make the game fun. Fdev still needs to create missions and gameplay that dont revolve around acquiring currency that ends up being worthless after a short amount of time even if you're not exploiting anything.

There's lots to do "other than make credits". If your only goal is the "get the ship you want", then of course you'll get bored. There are missions "that don't revolve around acquiring currency". You can earn permits and rank, to access new systems and ships.

The thing is, this is an open-ended game, where there's no personal plot to follow. You need to make your own fun. Go off exploring, go visit the Alien Structures, try using the neutron highway to visit Colonia, or ask for suggestions on the forum.

Agree with you both. ED isn't a game you finish or win. There's no ultimate goal, task, quest, like in other games. It's rather the ultimate open ended game. "Go anywhere. Do anything. But we won't tell you what we think you should do." Frustration over ED comes when a player doesn't "get it" yet.

The truth is, I was there myself a few months back. I was frustrated. Did Quince and other methods to make money. I knew I eventually should try exploration, which I did, and got hooked. Now the game is all about travelling rather than doing things. It's the journey more than destination now. Enjoying being in space. Flying my own space ship. I just want more to explore, but other than that, money isn't the goal anymore.

It's not a game, it's a life style... :D

Exactly. I've stopped worrying about cash. I don't really need much, since I fly an AspX with a fuel scoop. I do occasional missions, which provide more cash than I spend, so my bank account continues to grow, but that is not my priority.

What some people don't quite seem to understand is ED is primarily a fly-your-own-spaceship game. If you don't enjoy hyperspace jumps, supercruise, and exploring, fighting, trading, or mining, you're not going to enjoy this game very much.

Don't worry about credits, figure out what parts of the game you enjoy and go do them for the fun of it. If you start to get bored, try something new.

Top Bottom