1. It wouldn't replace current CQC, it would be an addition... In my thread I suggested the ability to turn engineering off. Welcome back pre-engineers PvP for the masses.The problem with "using your own ship" is that it largely misses the point of CQC in the first place. Personally, I don't think you should be able to use your own ship, here's three reasons why;
CQC isn't the most popular, and i'd love it to be. But using your own ship is a terrible idea IMO. You can already use your own ship and experiment with loadouts in Elite already, it doesn't need to be in CQC.
- CQC has always been "pick up and play". If CMDRs had to use their own ship, they'd have to pour countless hours into engineering their ship. This would gate off CQC to many people.
- Ship loadouts are the fairest way to level the playing field. Look at every other deathmatch game, the most you can hope for are loadouts and perks that's avaiable to everyone. Because it's fair.
- Do you want CQC to be FDL vs FDL vs FDL vs FDL vs FDL? Because that's what you'll get. Elite isn't exactly the most balanced in a PVP context right now. Shields and PA's everywhere. There are so many variables in the ships customisations that people would take ships that aren't optimised and eventually everything would be funnelled into a FDL party. Which would be fair because everyone would be using the same loadout. But is that what we want CQC to be?
CQC style combat with your own ship is not a bad idea by any mean. There should be more ingame means of taking part in that rather than relying on community run events.
2. CQC isn't a level playing field, this is a common misconception, as you have to unlock weapons and modules with XP... When you start out you're extremely limited.
3. If CQC was to be opened to owned in game ships there would hopefully be a way to set match conditions, for example small / medium / large / specific ships only. Even if it was mainly players using FDL's it would still be a welcome addition to the game, especially if it came with leagues etc.
The no-rebuy & no travel time thing would draw a lot of players into PvP and make it much more accessible.