ABCDE

So, here is a screenshot, nothing remarkable really but I was thinking about another thread on the exploration forums about remarkable systems, and it struck me this was one;

EUWrHZ1.jpg

In this picture are 5 stars, Byaa Aerb BJ-T d3-2 A, B, C, D and E, and this little moon is Byaa Aerb BJ-T d3-2 ABCDE 1 b a.

VHGQL1v.jpg

I got to thinking, I have seen plenty of AB and ABC, as well BC and CDE and etc, but how common is ABCDE, going through my records I can only find one other example. Has anyone encountered anything of a higher order? Say an ABCDEF? I must admit when I flew back to get some screenshots after realising just how unusual it was I was hoping for 5 huge blazing orbs in the sky, not 5 little points of light, that sort of takes away the impact travel to my other example to see if it presents a better view, I will do that soon.

So fellow explorers, here's a challenge and I guess an achievement, can anyone can come up with a higher order orbit around stellar barycentre?

Oehm … you should probably state that a commander needed to be there … otherwise someone … cough me cough … may just look it up and all the fun is gone ;)

I was about to say that I have a spreadsheet for this on EDastro, but now I see that it's been broken for a while, generating a zero-length file. I'm investigating.

Oehm … you should probably state that a commander needed to be there … otherwise someone … cough me cough … may just look it up and all the fun is gone ;)
Be there or have been there?!
Well indeed, I looked up the data for my current trip (~2000 systems so far), and found two systems, the first rather boring, the second more interesting. Alas, I have no scenic screenshots from the systems, just the maps and EDSM links.
The boring one first, Synueduia QO-O d7-10, with ABCDE 1 being the only other body and just a not-landable ice world 2019ls from the entry - doubt it would make an impressive sight.
Synueduia QO-O d7-10.jpg
More interesting is Tradgoi BV-N d7-0, a system with a total of 55 bodies, with three BCDEF gas giants with landable moons. BCDEF 1+2 are 242kls away from the entry point at A. Interesting with that respect is that those EF planets are also 242kls from the entry - there might be a chance for some scenic shots - someone could check based on the orbits, or just go there (not a high value system, so I don't really care about payout or tag; not that I'd mind much otherwise...). Hey, just rememberd that we have the orrey as well now - see 2nd screenshot! With the grid cells one might guess the distance, the question being are the small squares a grid cell (2333ls) or the larger ones :unsure:
Tradgoi BV-N d7-0.jpgTradgoi BV-N d7-0 orrey.jpg

I was about to say that I have a spreadsheet for this on EDastro, but now I see that it's been broken for a while, generating a zero-length file. I'm investigating.

Here's the corrected file. The script was just trying to pull too much data at once while other programs were running, and ran out of memory. I've made it more efficient now. :)

The file contains a list of planets that orbit 5+ stars at once, with 11,537 entries (planets, not systems). The highest currently is 8 stars (ABCDEFGH), in only three systems:

Synuefe QJ-G c27-8
Bya Phla VS-B c10
Priemoe KA-G c11-11

Here's the corrected file. The script was just trying to pull too much data at once while other programs were running, and ran out of memory. I've made it more efficient now. :)

The file contains a list of planets that orbit 5+ stars at once, with 11,537 entries (planets, not systems). ...
If you are looking for the number of systems, it should be sufficient to filter for the planets with the number "1".

The spreadsheet also has totals for each star-count at the top:

Pattern or Star CountSystemsPlanets
5​
5120​
10301​
6​
638​
1128​
7​
66​
101​
8​
3​
7​
ABCDE
5006​
9998​
ABCDEF
631​
1116​
ABCDEFG
66​
101​
ABCDEFGH
3​
7​
BCDEF
84​
228​
BCDEFG
6​
11​
CDEFG
21​
52​
CDEFGH
1​
1​
DEFGH
8​
22​
EFGHI
1​
1​

The file contains a list of planets that orbit 5+ stars at once, with 11,537 entries (planets, not systems). The highest currently is 8 stars (ABCDEFGH), in only three systems:

Synuefe QJ-G c27-8
Bya Phla VS-B c10
Priemoe KA-G c11-11

That's nice, my next mission will be to visit those three systems and see what sort of screenshot opportunities they provide!

So 5 or more is what I would call reasonably rare considering the number of systems we have explored so far.

Yeah, I totally agree. I set the cutoff at 5+ for the spreadsheet since that's a really tiny number compared to what's in EDSM, even though it seems large at first glance.

Yeah, I totally agree. I set the cutoff at 5+ for the spreadsheet since that's a really tiny number compared to what's in EDSM, even though it seems large at first glance.
Expect that number to increase now after 3.3. Thanks to the FSS more such planets will get scanned than before. Taking "my" second system above as example, not sure whether I would have travelled 240kls for a few GGs, moons and HMCs. Well, I know I would not do it now to map a tHMC.

Last edited:
That's true, the percentage of these will probably increase a little, since they tend to be in the outskirts of the star systems.

Here's where it stands now: 11,537 planets orbiting 5+ stars out of 64,863,439 planets in the database, for a percentage of roughly 0.018%. That is, less than 2% of a percent. :D

I'd just like to point out that, if it's screenshots you're after, there are 19 ELWs in Orvidius' list, all with ABCDE orbits. The Dryau Ausms XI-K d8-1635 one might be worth a vist, for no other reason than it's in the same sector as "The Dryau Awesomes" tourist POI in the Dryau Ausms KG-Y e3390 system, so if your ABCDE photo shoot is a bust, then at least there's some guaranteed spectacular scenery not too far away.

I'd just like to point out that, if it's screenshots you're after, there are 19 ELWs in Orvidius' list, all with ABCDE orbits. The Dryau Ausms XI-K d8-1635 one might be worth a vist, for no other reason than it's in the same sector as "The Dryau Awesomes" tourist POI in the Dryau Ausms KG-Y e3390 system, so if your ABCDE photo shoot is a bust, then at least there's some guaranteed spectacular scenery not too far away.

What I am after is surface photo shoots mainly, but I will drop in to the others to see what I can see, ELW photoshoots may have to wait until we can land on them, I think that will be spectacular, sitting by a sea with 5 suns blazing down, or a multi-sun sunset.

So here we are again. Keeping in mind there are only three known ABCDEFGH systems known I have decided to visit them all and got to the first one a while ago, I took a screenshot, ok it wasn't ideal, I'm looking for planetary vistas with large stellar orbs filling the sky, vapour from vulcanism drifting by etc, you know atmospheric;

WmNSQgs.jpg

But still it was the first of three. Now that I have decided to look for these sorts of screenshots I have been keeping a look out for other opportunities with fewer stars, here's my next one, it's in spoiler tags for a reason, it gives you a chance to go and find your sunglasses;

oz9lYPl.jpg

So still not quite what I am looking for. Four stars here, but the two B class wipe out the other two so not idea!

Top Bottom