Able to store cargo

It would be nice to be able to store cargo at a station instead of when wanting to swap a ship and do something else, you either have to take cargo with you or sell/get rid of it.

ie: The mining mission where you need 10 panite for the engineer, you need to continue with mining instead of being able to take a break from it and do something else and keeping what you already collected.

Lestat

Banned
Next time do a search on topics like this. There is a topic just about this a day or so ago. I all for a temp Storage so you can switch ships. So you can adjust your other ship to store that cargo. Or a feature that you can modify your new ship before switching so you can hold that cargo.

I am not for a station storage that you can store HOLD until the price goes up so you can sell it.

Next time do a search on topics like this. There is a topic just about this a day or so ago. I all for a temp Storage so you can switch ships. So you can adjust your other ship to store that cargo. Or a feature that you can modify your new ship before switching so you can hold that cargo.

I am not for a station storage that you can store HOLD until the price goes up so you can sell it.
Please dont attack me.

I suggested it as a better way of life so you can store cargo and do something else not sell it back like you want to do.

Lestat

Banned
Please dont attack me.

I suggested it as a better way of life so you can store cargo and do something else not sell it back like you want to do.
I am pointing out why it would not be a better life. It could ruin gameplay. So you support people who wait until their a boom and then sells. Yes, that ruins gameplay. We don't need to hold onto stuff when your one ship one person.

I am pointing out why it would not be a better life. It could ruin gameplay. So you support people who wait until their a boom and then sells. Yes, that ruins gameplay. We don't need to hold onto stuff when your one ship one person.
Why do you keep twisting it around? It is a quality of life aspect of not needing to fly around with it so you dont get interdicted a ton of times for your tasty cargo.

Being able to store cargo at a station would be really good.

If FDev made it so you cant sell stored cargo during a boom would you still be against it ?

It would be nice to be able to store cargo at a station instead of when wanting to swap a ship and do something else, you either have to take cargo with you or sell/get rid of it.

ie: The mining mission where you need 10 panite for the engineer, you need to continue with mining instead of being able to take a break from it and do something else and keeping what you already collected.

+Rep totally agree

Lestat

Banned
If FDev made it so you cant sell stored cargo during a boom would you still be against it ?

Do you know players can manipulate the background sim don't you? Which means they can manipulate the market. Now let say a group of 10 to 20 players Store a large amount of one cargo in a station and let say each can store 1,000 cargo at a Station. Plus whatever they have in there cargo hold. Let say they are using Large ships. Now let say they all decided flood one system economy. Which could change that system economy for better or worse. Which could hurt that system.

See One ship shipping an item to a system might not affect a system much. But being able to flood that system could make it a boom or a bust.

Background Simulation

Last edited:
Do you know players can manipulate the background sim don't you? Which means they can manipulate the market. Now let say a group of 10 to 20 players Store a large amount of one cargo in a station and let say each can store 1,000 cargo at a Station. Plus whatever they have in there cargo hold. Let say they are using Large ships. Now let say they all decided flood one system economy. Which could change that system economy for better or worse. Which could hurt that system.

See One ship shipping an item to a system might not affect a system much. But being able to flood that system could make it a boom or a bust.

Background Simulation
You would also be able to ship x amount of materials for engineers.

The quality of life improvement would be really nice.

My view of this:
1) Cargo should be allowed to be stored only on ships.
2) Cargo should be allowed to be stored on only one ship per account.
3) Ship transfer should be disabled for that ship when it is stored with cargo.
4) Only legal wares should be allowed to be stored.
5) Transfer of cargo in and out of this ship to another ship docked in the same station should be made impossible as well.

That way, no harm could be done. Even if a group of people stores loaded T9s in one station and sells them in one go, I fail to see how they can make more harm to BGS than simply just making a couple trade runs in mentioned T9s.

Some storage opportunities should be avaliable, thats a fact. Every feature can be optimised to minimize or prevent damages.

I wish I had more storage space.
Frontier has to have real server storage space for all this data. Everyone thinks their space utilization is only a few kb and is no big deal. Individually, yes, but with tens of thousands of clients, it's a bit of a server issue.
There is no economy in this game. The prices between stations in most instances is small so why keep inventory. Bottom line: there isn't a game mechanic that demands storage.

1. manipulating markets for your own benifit is always a part of any game and real life either way.
2. who the hell would build a space station if you don't have some sort of depot in the hangar bays/docking stations.
3. thats what stations really are is a place to refuel reload store your stuff and do business.
4. the game is less realistic because of not having storage and if its to hard for them to be able to keep up with the data of how much and of what you have stored thats very sad seeing as how there really isn't that much compaired to a lot of other things when it comes to the market...

Frontier has to have real server storage space for all this data. Everyone thinks their space utilization is only a few kb and is no big deal. Individually, yes, but with tens of thousands of clients, it's a bit of a server issue.

Nah. I develop a similar AWS backed massively scalable multiuser system (but for B2B, not consumer stuff, which is why I don't show up on anybody's radar around here). We store data in Amazon S3 and it's basically so cheap we can just round down the approximate cost to zero.

Storage space is cheap. Like, insanely cheap. And we're not streaming HD or 4K video here, so the transfer costs aren't significant, either.

But for the topic -- just limit the player to one ship, problem solved! No? 😁

1. manipulating markets for your own benifit is always a part of any game and real life either way.
2. who the hell would build a space station if you don't have some sort of depot in the hangar bays/docking stations.
3. thats what stations really are is a place to refuel reload store your stuff and do business.
4. the game is less realistic because of not having storage and if its to hard for them to be able to keep up with the data of how much and of what you have stored thats very sad seeing as how there really isn't that much compaired to a lot of other things when it comes to the market...
Not to mention that being able to interact with the BGS was suspposed to be one of the selling points of the game.

But low, sell high, that's the trade game right there. So this is a big yes from me, beyond time this be implemented.

Background Simulation

And what's the problem with that? Interacting with the BGS is supposed to be a selling point to this game. The whole idea of bringing in a highly demanded good and satisfying that demand with supply is what trading is about, and is basic supply and demand.

There have been many threads regarding this subject and they all end up pretty much the same way - FD have said they don't want it, so it won't happen. I can see both sides of the argument but imho, it's a moot point.

I feel that the OP has a good point, added to that it could provide a much needed credit sink, as for storage on ships... yeah, do that too, BUT... pay docking fees, the storage of cargoes/parts/materials should not be seen as a free for all way of hoarding but as a reasonable part of gameplay... that costs the player some of those credits that are so easily come by.

They changed the number of UA's (sorry, I forget the new name) needed to cause a station to malfunction... upping the number... but it's items like these that are the issue.

Black market goods to cause negative bgs effects... etc. The whole bgs system would be susceptible to these types of station bombs... and this is primarily a case of player faction vs. player faction conflicts...

idk... how much of a benefit would it really be, anyway? Once a while useful, I suppose... but seems pretty minor and not sure it would be worth a full rework of the bgs in order to allow it. Perhaps in time... something akin to the feature will develop... for when u might need it once in a while...

o7

Top Bottom