Able to store cargo

They changed the number of UA's (sorry, I forget the new name) needed to cause a station to malfunction... upping the number... but it's items like these that are the issue.

Black market goods to cause negative bgs effects... etc. The whole bgs system would be susceptible to these types of station bombs... and this is primarily a case of player faction vs. player faction conflicts...

idk... how much of a benefit would it really be, anyway? Once a while useful, I suppose... but seems pretty minor and not sure it would be worth a full rework of the bgs in order to allow it. Perhaps in time... something akin to the feature will develop... for when u might need it once in a while...

o7

Well with the ability to store cargo in the stations could open a bunch of new possibilities, for example, converting modules from "module" storage to cargo, and put them in your hold so you can carry your alt builds with you, and then back to module storage when you get to the other side. OR purchase modules in bulk that you plan to use for other ships, put them in the hold of your cargo ship and haul them back to your home station.

another possibility is the chance of destroying ships dropping a damaged but intact module for salvage, you scoop it up take it back to base, look at it the stats, think
A) "Hey this looks like a good mod, I'm keeping this." pay to have it fixed up and put in module storage for later use.
B) "This module is a piece of crap, I'm gonna break it down for materials." Salvage/break it down and receive material rewards for it.
C) "I dont want/need this module but it could be worth something." Put it in Cargo storage and look for a place in need of said module and will pay a better price for it, then take it there.

So you're right in and of itself it doesnt seem like it could be useful, but if made part of a larger gameplay revamp, it would become vital.

Part of being a trader, especially in other games is looking for the right price at the right time. With Cargo storage, traders can actually hold onto inventory and then when conditions present themselves in the right system, they can capitalize on it.

I don't see that as a problem, I see that as what should be an integral part of the game and what makes trading "sexy", trying to find that great deal, that great trade.

It would also open up the ability to eventually, assuming it's still Fdev's goal, to having a player run economy. You can't have an economy that's "on demand", players would have to be able to have inventory to create a player run economy.

Last edited:
I am pointing out why it would not be a better life. It could ruin gameplay. So you support people who wait until their a boom and then sells. Yes, that ruins gameplay. We don't need to hold onto stuff when your one ship one person.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how being able to hold onto a few T9s worth of cargo until a price rise would 'break the game' when you consider that we have a dynamic economy encompassing well over 20,000 occupied systems, within which anything up to a few thousand tons/units of cargo is barely a drop in a drop in the ocean . I've been waiting for about three years now actually and still nobody has managed it.

If it was completely unlimited storage then yes, it could potentially, in edge cases, cause a problem. If it was a limited amount of storage, it would not.

In short, it's utter cobblers. OP's avatar sums up my feelings on the argument nicely.

UA bombing of stations was removed - Requiem Mortis

..thanks for the note on that. I thought they simply made the number needed super high, but that might have even been a stage in the process of them removing the mechanic.

Still... black market bgs effects probably still go to the point. And particularly in systems with very small populations.

...nice notes on the enhanced crafting ideas, Exeider... and I do love the ideas of the expanded crafting mechanics... not sure that's the same as commodity storage tho.

UA bombing of stations was removed - Requiem Mortis

..thanks for the note on that. I thought they simply made the number needed super high, but that might have even been a stage in the process of them removing the mechanic.

Still... black market bgs effects probably still go to the point. And particularly in systems with very small populations.

...nice notes on the enhanced crafting ideas, Exeider... and I do love the ideas of the expanded crafting mechanics... not sure that's the same as commodity storage tho.

Storage is Storage, the ability to have those crafting ideas and salvage mechanics would be contingent on the ability to store said materials/modules/cargo somewhere, that's how it relates

The only time I would accept cargo storage is if we had our own personal base which is not connected to the BGS in any shape or form and be able to store it there.

Some sort of storage option would be very useful but it shouldn't be infinite and not free. If You will pay for each ton of stored cargo in day interval then it would not mess the economy, of course with correct fee value (logarithmic increment would be great I think)

Storage is Storage, the ability to have those crafting ideas and salvage mechanics would be contingent on the ability to store said materials/modules/cargo somewhere, that's how it relates

yeah sure. Some type of flex space for modules at engineer locations probably.
Module storage and commodity storage are different things... besides, the point is the negative bgs bombs w/buildups of misc. detrimental commodities.. there's no need to rework that in order to expand on crafting...

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy was he?

...although it would be nice to be able to swap ships with cargo. Maybe a 15 min. temporary storage feature, give you time to swap and fit a cargo hold if you needed to. Now the station Hangar Manager wants your cargo out of his way. Get it loaded or lose it.

I am pointing out why it would not be a better life. It could ruin gameplay. So you support people who wait until their a boom and then sells. Yes, that ruins gameplay. We don't need to hold onto stuff when your one ship one person.

While I agree with you, but this does happen in real life - which also ruins real world gameplay! Property speculators and land bankers have ruined ability for most mere mortals from ever owning their own homes.

It would be easy though to do this fairly in game. The goods stored can only be sold at the price that they were at when they were stored. Think of that as the station's margin. And also limit to say no more than 100 units. Hopefully though, next year we will get some base building options where we can store stuff on a remote moon, now that could open up some interesting gameplay options.

Even simpler would be to charge credits for the privilege of storing your cargo. For ship swaps it's free, as soon as you leave the station without your stored cargo it costs a percentage of the stored cargos worth. This would discourage stockpiling (profit margins will be cut significantly) but still enable a ship change and setup.

As for attacking you OP, you have to realise that not everyone has the same opinion as you do.

The idea isn't new either so you'll have to expect the rough with the smooth.

Do you know players can manipulate the background sim don't you? Which means they can manipulate the market. Now let say a group of 10 to 20 players Store a large amount of one cargo in a station and let say each can store 1,000 cargo at a Station. Plus whatever they have in there cargo hold. Let say they are using Large ships. Now let say they all decided flood one system economy. Which could change that system economy for better or worse. Which could hurt that system.

See One ship shipping an item to a system might not affect a system much. But being able to flood that system could make it a boom or a bust.

Background Simulation

So being able to hold a little more then a type 9 worth of cargo would break the game? What preventing this group from flooding the market just doing 2 runs to sell to the station?

I understand your worried about abuse but letting players store a few hundred tons of cargo isn't going to break the game.

If we had to make concessions I would say 1000 cargo is a bit excessive for what the average player would be using it for. I personally would use it for store bits of cargo I hadn't go gotten around to selling, limpets when switching ships and commodity I need for engineering.

Here is what I would personally like to see.
Rent able Warehouse space. Really why should we get free space.
Options to rent space varying sizes. Example 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500
Size of station/outpost should effect available space
Charge more for each ascending size and charge daily
Limit the number of stations we can rent space out at to a handful 2-5.

Could I store 500 tons of cargo and wait for a boom to sell it sure. What does that really save me? 10-15 minutes trip to go grab it near by. I know better ways to make credits then waiting for the markets to change so I can sell 1 ships worth of cargo.

It would be nice to be able to store cargo at a station instead of when wanting to swap a ship and do something else, you either have to take cargo with you or sell/get rid of it.

ie: The mining mission where you need 10 panite for the engineer, you need to continue with mining instead of being able to take a break from it and do something else and keeping what you already collected.

I was just about to suggest this. It would make more real world sense if you can store the materials until you have everything you need for engineering. The easiest way to curtail the boom selling thing would be to set a limit of 100 units on your storage locker. That shouldn't affect the economy too much even if it's void opals.

Oh and you can only have ONE storage locker at a time in the game.

They should allow for you to lease, buy or own a Station Storage locker. Its ridiculous that you can not offload cargo at a space station and store it there.

I can see ways it wouldn't ruin anything. If you had limited, or purchased space available at only some stations (or separate storage facilities discoverable in systems) and couldn't sell anything unless you were physically present. That sounds good to me.
Then maybe a player to player exchange could get started.

Top Bottom