About to set off for Maia

Alright! Loads of useful info here. THanks all that is exactly the kind of 'grizzled old spacefarer' info I would have expected from buying a few drinks in a spaceport bar....
Got 5A FSD, SRV, DSS, some cargo capacity. I could squeeze a slighty larger shield in there only by dropping power elsewhere by .05. Does it make sense to drop weaponry? Only have a pulse laser & small cannon now but wonder if I'm better off running than fighting (solo play for this trip)

Alright! Loads of useful info here. THanks all that is exactly the kind of 'grizzled old spacefarer' info I would have expected from buying a few drinks in a spaceport bar....
Got 5A FSD, SRV, DSS, some cargo capacity. I could squeeze a slighty larger shield in there only by dropping power elsewhere by .05. Does it make sense to drop weaponry? Only have a pulse laser & small cannon now but wonder if I'm better off running than fighting (solo play for this trip)
IMHO I would just run cmdr if you get interdicted. The shame of running is less than the pain of dying!

i can forsee a thread in the very near future about someone being blown away while trying to land at Ms Farseer delivering the said MetaAlloy :)

Newbie here...I'm ready to go to Maia and grab some meta-allows for Felicity and on the way (sort of) will drop by Wolf 387 to give up my 100k in bounties to Tod. Anything I should do before heading out all that way? It's a long trip and hope not to hear "you should have brought 'x' along to make profits" or something like that...

Got a diamondback explorer kitted out with SRV, explo rig of course. 8M in the bank.

1. Take any rare commodities with you. They sell well there.

2. Make the trip there and all the way down to Felicity’s base in Solo. The mere presence of this post has already sent two Griefer squads to take up positions around Felicity’s.

3. Stay clear of non-human signal sources, especially on your way back.

OK will run. As for Northpin...I survived 3 years in Eve as a trader and never got ganked, I'm hoping some of those skills transfer. But we'll see.

I remember my first trip out there all those years ago. Did it in a Viper mk.III. 37 jumps. Almost got stranded in the Brown Dwarf patch.

Be sure to pay a visit to a Thargoid base before you head back. Coolest scenery in the game, IMO.

Should you head to Felicity, be aware you'll be traveling into one of the largest Ganker Hotspots of the Galaxy.

A new Player in a mostly unengineered DBX shouldn't try that in Open Play unless that experience is desired.

MAIA is also a Ganker hotspot, like much of Pleiades.
OP you need to be careful if you play in Open in these areas.

You can visit Jameson's crash site for G5 data and the bug killer crashed anaconda for G5 raw en route to Maia. Trade for datamined wake exceptions and arsenic etc.
I wrote a guide which covers this and might be helpful:

Set your galmap to filter by star type, and deselect everything other than the main sequence O,B,A,F,G,K,M stars. Set route plotter to only use filtered stars. It will still use the occasional T Tauri or brown dwarf if it can't find an alternative, but you won't risk running a chain of browns like we used to ages ago.

Damn, I remember the Pleiades being so far away; a real adventure. Now it feels like just a drive to the next town over.

You can visit Jameson's crash site for G5 data and the bug killer crashed anaconda for G5 raw en route to Maia. Trade for datamined wake exceptions and arsenic etc.
I wrote a guide which covers this and might be helpful:
bookmarked, thanks!

Set your galmap to filter by star type, and deselect everything other than the main sequence O,B,A,F,G,K,M stars. Set route plotter to only use filtered stars. It will still use the occasional T Tauri or brown dwarf if it can't find an alternative, but you won't risk running a chain of browns like we used to ages ago.

Damn, I remember the Pleiades being so far away; a real adventure. Now it feels like just a drive to the next town over.
thanks, will do - I saw the comment above about the brown dwarf patch, was wondering how you avoid those.

dxm55

Banned
Don't get too ambitious.

Just get the meta-alloy and get it back to Auntie Felicity.

Once you've done that, you can engineer your FSD and then trips to places like Maia stop being a hassle.

There are a couple of interesting places near Maia (Dav's Hope and the Jameson crash site) but, really, just get the MA to Farseer and then go visit them.
With an upgraded FSD, it's only 4 or 5 jumps. (y)

But why even bother with Felicity?

Just do it with Martuuk.
Fly 300 LYs out from your game start point. Easy stuff.
Turn back, Get some Soontil Relics.
Head on over to Khun.
Start getting your materials.
Profit.

G5 FSDs, and just Deep Charge it.

Maia? Pfft. Forget that crummy distant hellhole and those inane jumps.

I concur with Valorin, go to a barnacle site and harvest the meta-alloys. You have to go to one which is ripe and that has meta-alloys.

In this table we have listed which ones are ripe and how many meta-alloys they have:
http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/customtable/display?id=barnacles&system=maia

Some of them are protected, which is also shown in the table, just avoid those ones.

Any extra ones you can sell at Danielle's Progress (a planetary station) in Maia for around 110000 CR each

Last edited:
But why even bother with Felicity?

Just do it with Martuuk.
Fly 300 LYs out from your game start point. Easy stuff.
Turn back, Get some Soontil Relics.
Head on over to Khun.
Start getting your materials.
Profit.

G5 FSDs, and just Deep Charge it.

Maia? Pfft. Forget that crummy distant hellhole and those inane jumps.
Honestly I had not looked up Martuuk yet, I figured I'd visit her after Felicity (that's >300 for me). ANyway Felicity has a lot of BPs Martuuk doe not..and WTH want to see pleadies anyway. But thanks for the heads up...will give some thought as quicker to maia with a better FSD for sure. Also thanks for noting the experiemental effects, I need to read up on those

I concur with Valorin, go to a barnacle site and harvest the meta-alloys. You have to go to one which is ripe and that has meta-alloys.

In this table we have listed which ones are ripe and how many meta-alloys they have:
http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/customtable/display?id=barnacles&system=maia

Some of them are protected, which is also shown in the table, just avoid those ones.

Any extra ones you can sell at Danielle's Progress (a planetary station) in Maia for around 110000 CR each
great link, thanks.

Newbie here...I'm ready to go to Maia and grab some meta-allows for Felicity and on the way (sort of) will drop by Wolf 387 to give up my 100k in bounties to Tod. Anything I should do before heading out all that way? It's a long trip and hope not to hear "you should have brought 'x' along to make profits" or something like that...

Got a diamondback explorer kitted out with SRV, explo rig of course. 8M in the bank.
eeeh I remember the day I went to maia, it actually wasn't that long ago.. it took me 120 jumps in my python, and then someone pointed me in the right direction with class D modules to increase my jump range.. on the way back needless to say it did not take 120 jumps... more like 12.. im signal source hunting now for materials from ship wreckage so im off to DAVS hope tonight for my chemical processors.. defo get Class D modules.. also when you get to maia make sure you play In "SOLO".. very important, there are some real "not nice people" waiting for you in PvP who just want to blow you up.. and keep discovery scanning on your way so that you unlock the progress when you arrive..

Enjoy that sense of adventure, and the idea that 'Maia is a long way'.

Eventually, if you do exploration, you idea of what a long way is will change and change again.

One day, this is going to seem like a quick hop.
I totally get that now.. I nip to maia not venture out..

Check out Rare Commodities en route, buy them (they tend to be small amounts) in ones or twos if necessary, when you get home they should be worth a lot combined, even with a small cargo bay.

dxm55

Banned
Honestly I had not looked up Martuuk yet, I figured I'd visit her after Felicity (that's >300 for me). ANyway Felicity has a lot of BPs Martuuk doe not..and WTH want to see pleadies anyway. But thanks for the heads up...will give some thought as quicker to maia with a better FSD for sure. Also thanks for noting the experiemental effects, I need to read up on those

Then you might as well see Martuuk first and get those FSDs done up so your trip to Maia will be less of a PITA.

Top Bottom