About to set off for Maia

The feeling that maia is a long way away is magical. Don't rush to change this :) That is all.

Only if you're playing / still here for the feels. If you're playing with absolute focus on some gamer progression goal then maybe not. Elite is a sandbox so theres no wrong answer.

Got 5A FSD, SRV, DSS, some cargo capacity. I could squeeze a slighty larger shield in there only by dropping power elsewhere by .05. Does it make sense to drop weaponry? Only have a pulse laser & small cannon now but wonder if I'm better off running than fighting (solo play for this trip)

Today, this depends on the ai rank + what ship its in compared to yours.

Assuming you have all the guns on your ship, i wouldn't suggest taking on anything above master for a new player. Dangerous++ seem to come with engineered ships also, so even the best pilot would still have a miserable time out of it without matching upgrades.

They wont start shooting at you unless you have non limpet cargo in your hold, so you can take the time to target them and have a look and make a decision.

Oh wait you're in a dbx? Yeah probably only engage other small ships master or lower, and make sure to put all your guns on. Just go burst laser if you don't want to research combat just yet.

Last edited:
I concur with Valorin, go to a barnacle site and harvest the meta-alloys. You have to go to one which is ripe and that has meta-alloys.

In this table we have listed which ones are ripe and how many meta-alloys they have:
http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/customtable/display?id=barnacles&system=maia

Some of them are protected, which is also shown in the table, just avoid those ones.

Any extra ones you can sell at Danielle's Progress (a planetary station) in Maia for around 110000 CR each
Hi Ace, HIP 17497 looks pretty good on that table. Any reason why I should go to Maia when there are so many ripe and unprotected pods in HIP 17497? I'm currently only 11Ly from HIP 17497 anyway because I went to Merope and it looks like the barnacles are all played out there......🤔

But why even bother with Felicity?

Just do it with Martuuk.
Fly 300 LYs out from your game start point. Easy stuff.
Turn back, Get some Soontil Relics.
Head on over to Khun.
Start getting your materials.
Profit.

G5 FSDs, and just Deep Charge it.

Maia? Pfft. Forget that crummy distant hellhole and those inane jumps.

Not sure about that.

Given that the whole "problem" with visiting Maia is the distance, the idea of travelling 300Ly away from your start-point, then travelling to Ngurii to buy Soontil relics, then travelling across to Khun to deliver them doesn't exactly sound straightforward.
I haven't checked, specifically, but I suspect that it'd be quicker to just make the trip to Maia.

And, let's face it, unlocking Auntie Felicity is pretty useful.
She might only be a whizz with FSDs but she also dabbles in Thrusters, PPs and SBs, which means you can get her to apply XFX to those modules.

Another vote here for visiting a barnacle. Nice experience and if you get real lucky you might be "visited"

Happened to me the other day for the first time while collecting MA's for some tech

I gonna leave an old thread here, from my "Travelling Guide to the Pleiades". It's a bit dated, but maybe someone will still enjoy it.

Don't open spoilers, if you don't want spoilers. Should be clear.

dxm55

Banned
Not sure about that.

Given that the whole "problem" with visiting Maia is the distance, the idea of travelling 300Ly away from your start-point, then travelling to Ngurii to buy Soontil relics, then travelling across to Khun to deliver them doesn't exactly sound straightforward.
I haven't checked, specifically, but I suspect that it'd be quicker to just make the trip to Maia.

And, let's face it, unlocking Auntie Felicity is pretty useful.
She might only be a whizz with FSDs but she also dabbles in Thrusters, PPs and SBs, which means you can get her to apply XFX to those modules.

Wasn't a problem for me, as I already exceeded 300 LYs in my first month of playing just flying around doing crap all, and then getting bored, before even engineers were introduced. I had the invitation for the longest time, but elected to ignore engineering until after awhile. So it was just a simple matter of picking up stuff from Nguri on the way to Khun.

I also did Felicty, but hers was a more roundabout trip as I had to fly OUT to Maia, and then BACK in to Deciat. But I already had G5 FSDs (along with G2 Thrusters) by then, so it was easy, but defeated the purpose. All I got was one more grade for thrusters. So it was pretty underwhelming, that old hag.

No reason at all. Better to avoid Merope Barnacle sites as most are protected.

All the sites at HIP 17497 are ripe and will probably be quieter. The one labelled TB523 has most meta-alloys.

dxm55

Banned

All the sites at HIP 17497 are ripe and will probably be quieter. The one labelled TB523 has most meta-alloys.

I saw 4 sites on a planet somewhere in Merope. Can't remember which.

3 of the barnacle sites were busted. All shot up.

The 4th was pristine, but had skimmers protecting it. I killed them all and got a bounty.
Then couldn't figure what the hell to do with the site to get stuff. So I ended up shooting it up... getting useless mats in the process.

What do you actually do with an unmolested Barnacle site?

I saw 4 sites on a planet somewhere in Merope. Can't remember which.

3 of the barnacle sites were busted. All shot up.

The 4th was pristine, but had skimmers protecting it. I killed them all and got a bounty.
Then couldn't figure what the hell to do with the site to get stuff. So I ended up shooting it up... getting useless mats in the process.

What do you actually do with an unmolested Barnacle site?
molest it

Shooting Barnacles gets you materials and meta-alloys. As I understand it the OP needs meta-alloys for engineer access.

Some of the sites are very picturesque and some sites have a chance of a "visitation". Whatever works for you.

However meta-alloys can also be sold for around 110000 CR each which is not bad.

Last edited:
Maia? Pfft. Forget that crummy distant hellhole and those inane jumps.

i go there pretty often. to visit felicity, make friends with thargoids or even just to admire the sky. it's a very beautiful region. not that many places where you get greeted by a nebula just exiting a station.

plus it's only a few jumps away, c'mon.

by the time you guys just figured out in eddb.io where to fetch some rares to make some credits on the side (really???) ... i'm already there. and possibly back.

Went to HIP 17497, got my meta-alloys, then went to see Auntie Felicity. Only had enough materials to get my FSD to G2, but that has turned 8 jumps back to my home system into 5 jumps! It's crazy just how much even a little bit of engineering improves the FSD.

And check the map route mode is not economical. I didn't know I was in this mode when I first went. I spent 3 months in economic mode jumping

Haha you can laugh.. lol I did

The Pleiades is my forward operating base away from the bubble. Celaeno is a nice small system where I stay. There are several spaceports in and close to ringed planets all through the Pleiades. Once you've travelled the ~250 Ly from the edge of the bubble to the Pleiades, its gets better. I've done it dozens of times. I keep a couple or three ships there for whatever I get the urge to do. I like going to the Crab area (Running Man and Horsehead) and I use Artemis Lodge as my jump point. ... unless something else peaks my interst at the time.
GL HF

I agree the Pleadies is an interesting area. I found it pretty easy to find barnacles, there's a bit of trade going on, a little oasis outside the bubble. I did get inerdicted a few times on the way to Deciat, probably due to the meta-alloys. Bought a Viper in Deciat, will run missions for a while to get some items I need, will visit a couple more Engineers on the way. Thanks all for the encouragement and inspiration. It's a quite engaging game.

And check the map route mode is not economical. I didn't know I was in this mode when I first went. I spent 3 months in economic mode jumping

Haha you can laugh.. lol I did
A couple of months ago I got the exploration bug so I started a thread asking what I would need to go exploring. Everyone was very helpful, but they forgot to mention setting the route mode to max jumps, and they were all scratching their heads wondering why it was taking me so many jumps to only go 70ly, in an anaconda!

It takes a lot of googling, reading posts and asking lots of questions on the forum, watching videos, and a lot of trial and error to learn how to play this game. Which is why I love it, I thrive on challenge.

Top Bottom