About tonight's livestream....

I didn’t see the live stream and just scanned through the feed after. So was it just the same two screenshots or was were an actual working run through of it?

No new media. Adam answered few additional questions. In fact I think they should have done this next week after Adam got better. People just used that stream as platform to moan about loss of insta honk.

Two things here .... no three .... the third one first :

3. Full marks to Adam for facing the customer base, even though he wasn't on top of his game today (and who can be, at end of day and a miserable cold !), with the Gnosis episode only just behind them last week.

2. If Adam has just taken over, then clearly he won't have all the answers to everything but was willing to take ideas at the discussion. That's very positive, because everything is not cast in stone. He was able to send us a message that our comments really are being heard and influencing the final design decisions. That has to be positive.

1. This was probably much more useful for player interaction with devs than focused feedback .... I suggest it should be a format to use for the future perhaps in combination with the written focused feedback.

Oh, and a fourth very important point .... I understood what was being proposed a lot better than from reading the thread. :D

I’m not sure about the ship cruising blindly in SC while spending an amount of time in a separate (galaxy style) screen? ...And all that in VR. Seems duff. Unless that screen is what we will see from the cockpit as an opaque overlay ? ...maybe ?

Flimley

...going to ping this in the main thread

Last edited:
I'm really sorry but it just didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Hearing that Adam just took on this stuff "a few weeks ago" kind of makes me wonder what's been going on behind the scenes, makes me wonder what effect that'll have on the update and I wonder why something that's been in development for a year needed somebody to "take it on a few weeks ago" at all.

It also looked like quite a lot of stuff was uncertain and a lot of the features just seemed a bit disjointed with no real cohesion.

Lastly, it was kind of creepy the way Ed kept on saying how wonderful it was that people were still interested in the game.

More worried now than I was after reading the written details. [where is it]

To put my hopeful take on it, and just a bunch of wild guesses, it could be the main team on this new set of exploration mechanics have already finished with the rough working core of it and then were moved off as cross-dev to Frontier's secret new franchise. Adam could be part of the group doing the finishing touches and last minute changes for the beta. Perhaps visually it isn't all polished and smoothly cohesive yet so there's still work to be done as we're still a ways from December. Well, about Ed, it's probably certain that FD saw all the salt of the week prior seemingly one of the worst I'd ever seen here on the forums and on yt comments where practically everyone was bashing the game and many were raking FD over hot coals again with the rhetoric. I took it as Ed being understandably relieved to see so many excited and it wasn't really nowhere near as bad as the doom'n'gloomers made it out to be i.e. where the Gnosis event was a "last straw" and Q4 is doomed fluff, never believe in FD again, etc.

Last edited:
How bilnd ppl here are, they started working on update few weeks before release, throwing bones to white knights who blinldy believe every their word.

Those 100devs could be IT students (more likely) or they're totaly incapable of anything.
It's 2018 and they give us pop up screen minigame lol.
They are not capable to make it part of ship's GUI says it all.......space legs and atmos, now i know it is way above their skills!

Lol this forum is so fun!

Hearing that Adam just took on this stuff "a few weeks ago" kind of makes me wonder what's been going on behind the scenes, makes me wonder what effect that'll have on the update and I wonder why something that's been in development for a year needed somebody to "take it on a few weeks ago" at all.

It also looked like quite a lot of stuff was uncertain and a lot of the features just seemed a bit disjointed with no real cohesion.

Lastly, it was kind of creepy the way Ed kept on saying how wonderful it was that people were still interested in the game.

Somebody's starting to wake up. ;)

But don't worry, I'm sure the other 99 people supposedly working full time on the game have his back. They'll throw something up in a couple of weeks, call it a day and fix half of it post release. The other half will become a feature. Eventually... [haha]

I'm so looking forward to Q4 - it will be such a delicious dumpster fire of failure, on so many levels.

They're always a bit culty in their positivity, though that's probably more a function of nerves and a wish to avoid dead air.

As for the slightly disheveled aspects of this particular stream, I suspect it went out earlier than originally intended as part of damage limitation concerning the Gnosis controversy.

The story repeats itself. As always they will run to deliver something that in the end will be worse than you can imagine.

Thanks for the warning. I'm going to avoid live streams with certain frontier staff from now on to not erode elites standing and create unnecessary dismay pessimism. They're still at it hey.

Think of all your ship skins.

I thought the stream was fine. Great job Adam, going on with the cold.

To me it feels like still work to be done. Good questions asked, spurring a few important points that will need to be resolved. The most important part, IMO, is the design work on the mechanics. What they've laid out on this point so far has looked like a good step forward in gameplay. I'm also happy to see Frontier willing to make significant changes to old and "comfortable" placeholders. It would be a shame for the old placeholders to ultimately keep Elite from becoming something more.

I look forward to seeing the final product!

The moment when asked if non Horizons players would be able to synthesise probes struck me as a little weird.. seems no one had considered it.

Well the most common sense answer to that is for those players to gather the mats from asteroids... Unless micro resources generally are purely an Horizons feature?

However, the problem with asteroids is that you'll need a mining laser for them, which not a great deal of explorers travel with in the first place, and that is going to screw over any non Horizons explorers already in the black, forcing them to end their expeditions early or just not do any surface mapping for the rest of their time out there.

So it is a very good question, as it touches something FD were keen to avoid, namely making explorers come back.

I'm also happy to see Frontier willing to make significant changes to old and "comfortable" placeholders. It would be a shame for the old placeholders to ultimately keep Elite from becoming something more.

I look forward to seeing the final product!

Good point !

The moment when asked if non Horizons players would be able to synthesise probes struck me as a little weird.. seems no one had considered it.

I understood synthesis works for Non-Horizons

At least synthesis worked the last time i logged in to a Non Horizons version

I havent seen the live stream, and dont know if they have said what the materials will be used for Probe synthesis

When I read about the changes coming for exploration I was actually getting a tad excited.
I just watched the recorded livestream on youtube and I must admit that the whole explanation or especially the number of things they couldn't explain yet was rather discomforting.
The mats needed for synthesizing probes for non Horizon players hasn't even been thought about so it seems.
The probe thing seems quite cool but the new ads system I think needs some looking into, honking and just being able to see the entry star in the system map is very minimal imho, they couldn't even answer if other stars in the system would show up too or not.
This new ads system is clearly not finished yet, or they just came up with it after discarding carriers and iceplanets for the Q4 update.

I knew I was getting excited to soon.
I'll just wait for the changes they'll make to the initial presentation of the ads scanning minigame, if they make them that is.

ED did say that this is not all that's coming regarding exploration, I'm curious to see what else they come up with.

It is weird. Majority of active players use Horizons. Right question would be "should I use SRV to gather mats for drones"?

They made it clear in the main exploration thread that they were still nailing down the synthesis recipe. So its understandable.

Also, I could have sworn that the Horizons/Non-Horizons distinction was about to come to an end.

Do you have a timestamp? I've checked through the youtube-generated transcript of the livestream and "weeks" only appears twice:
Youtube transcript said:
you've been off for a couple of weeks

we're going to be showing tonight on the exploration features that's going to be coming up in the future in the coming weeks
Perhaps you heard something different to what you've written in the OP, as in paraphrased? I timestamp would be helpful, thanks :)

Having not seen the livestream, I was equal parts amused and horrified by the implications of this post.

Edit: Fdev, don't you dare make me regret by brief, uncharacteristic burst of optimism yesterday!

Last edited:
The story repeats itself. As always they will run to deliver something that in the end will be worse than you can imagine.
Don't be so harsh on Hello Games, they've at least recovered their reputation with NMS (No Man's Sky) somewhat: with Next they raised their review score to 49% and yesterday's max concurrent was 3% of the all-time record peak.

Gamers are so abrasive with game developers, sheesh.

I honestly think that FD realized how high the expectations were for the Q4 exploration improvements and adjusted their goals accordingly. It would be wonderful if the Gnosis expedition could be done right with the new exploration mechanics. And for Braben's sake let explorers explore without turning the event into one dedicated combat slugfest.

Probably means that other Devs were making the tools, now Adam (and others - remember, he's been moved from working on something else, which is now done presumably!) are utilising them, and tweaking things based on internal tester feedback, and player feedback.

Doesn't sound like something to worry about.

Top Bottom