Accretion Disk Boost

Not sure if this has been suggested before but here I go

A new feature called Disc Boost, which is similar to jet-cone boost

How to perform a Disc Boost

Step 1: Outfit your FSD with the experimental effect “Drive Shielding”. This effect eliminates damage from jet-cone boost and allows for disc boosts. You will also need a fuel scoop

Step 2: Locate and travel to an active black hole. Active black holes will have accretion discs rotating around them.

Step 3: Identify and approach the accretion disk. You will want to enter it slowly at a small angle to avoid entering the black hole’s exclusion zone. Once inside, your FSD will be supercharged instantly and your ship will overheat at an alarming rate. An escape vector will appear, and you must fight the gases hitting your ship and align yourself to escape, similar to an interdiction. The more stable you are, the less damage you will take. If you take too long you will take heat damage directly to your FSD and, should your FSD get destroyed, you will disengage and be burnt to a crisp with no chance of escape.

After performing this, you will be granted 8X jump range. By utilizing this effect you could theoretically achieve even a 700Ly jump range
Here are the pros:
-Massive jump range
-Fuel efficiency
-More interesting exploration

And the cons:
-Accretion disc is far more dangerous than pulsar jets, posing a threat to elite pilots
-Performing incorrectly can cause massive damage to your ship
-Unlike jet-cone boost, this type of boost requires engineering first
-Relies on black holes being near you

Thoughts?

Step 1: Outfit your FSD with the experimental effect “Drive Shielding”. This effect eliminates damage from jet-cone boost and allows for disc boosts. You will also need a fuel scoop

1) We don't have accretions disks in game yet.

2) Let's remove still more hazards from exploration and traveling long distances. Currently damage from jet cone boosts is about the only hazard you will find out there.

3) Accretion disks are formed of regular matter broken up by the gravity of the black hole and therefore not suitable for shoving into an FSD.

1) We don't have accretions disks in game yet.

2) Let's remove still more hazards from exploration and traveling long distances. Currently damage from jet cone boosts is about the only hazard you will find out there.

3) Accretion disks are formed of regular matter broken up by the gravity of the black hole and therefore not suitable for shoving into an FSD.
Well this suggestion also indirectly suggests the addition of accretion disks. Currently in-game they don’t exist but should they be added this would be a nice way to make use of them. As for what’s in the accretion disks, that’s purely theoretical. Many sites suggest there are gases in these disks, and it is plausible that these gases can be extracted like we extract hydrogen from a star or energy from a pulsar by using our fuel scoop

Honestly I'd rather have an experimental that INCREASED the damage taken from jet cones, but in turn boosts their effectiveness. If it is required to boost off black holes, so much the better.

It would be awesome if you needed to very precisely surf the accretion disk for JUST long enough to get your boost, and then immediately exit it, or your FSD would become so damaged it would fail and shut down, trapping you in the disk and the incredible temperatures within.

Honestly I'd rather have an experimental that INCREASED the damage taken from jet cones, but in turn boosts their effectiveness. If it is required to boost off black holes, so much the better.

It would be awesome if you needed to very precisely surf the accretion disk for JUST long enough to get your boost, and then immediately exit it, or your FSD would become so damaged it would fail and shut down, trapping you in the disk and the incredible temperatures within.
I didn’t think of that. My thought process was that since our FSD operates “beyond safety limits” we would increase the safety limit

I’m not sure how I feel about guaranteed damage. I’m not sure I would want to do this if my FSD was going to come out in pieces in the end. Maybe a damage that starts tiny but increases exponentially as you spend time in the disk

IMO, as you push the limits, MORE danger is better than less.

Here's how I'd do it; The Experimental would instead be called something like "FSD Nitroboost", description, "Boosts the effectiveness of supercharge effects, at the cost of increased drive degredation within the jet cone. Enables Accretion Disk Boosting."

Standard FSD boosting would get something like a 50% boost, at the cost of doubled FSD damage. That would mean needing to repair after about 10 jumps rather than 20. It's important to note the loss of Mass Manager here, which would reduce the net effect by comparison.

Black Hole Boosting would give you something like a 20x boost, at the cost of some randomness in terms of the jump, and a massive cost of module damage. Actually appearing at your objective would be somewhat rare; more often you would appear at another system roughly the same distance away, across a cone projected towards that star. You could also drop in deep space. In addition, damage would take place 20x faster, and shutting off your FSD to repair would cause the boost to be lost. Players would need to very skillfully skim the black hole just long enough to get the boost, then exit and hope everything holds together for the jump. Mistakes would cause them to lose too much integrity to jump, forcing them to drop, repair, and try again. Players could potentially engineer their FSD with Strengthened if they really want to do it consistently.

This sort of thing should not be a commonplace thing, like neutron boosting has become. It should be a risk one only takes with careful forethought. The last thing you want is for it to just become another better neutron star.

Top Bottom