Activities You Couldn't be Bothered to Do Originally, But Maybe Changed Your Mind

There are activities I didn't ever think I would be interested in originally, like jumping to Colonia and Sag A*, messing with the Thargoids, engineering... Yeah I am a hard sell.

But I've done all of them eventually, even if not completely dedicated to them. I didn't want to dally around with SLFs, or crew either but have done both since and have no problems doing it again if I have the urge.

I didn't want to engage in piracy or outright slaughter of civilians. Then I had high notoriety for a while. I probably pirated over 1b in LTDs from NPCs (never even killed or engaged a real player).

What's next? Maybe Open is the last hold out but I haven't felt the urge to go there yet. I did it a bit during some CGs but nothing since.

How about you, what paths did you avoid due to either it seeming too tedious, too much of a commitment, not your style, etc... but maybe you've since changed your mind?

In nature, there's entropy and this effect applies to games as well.

When you start a game like ED, there's quite a bit of stuff you can accomplish, and in doing so, you find some things that you like more than others. It's entertaining. PP could have been so much more but the merit decay turned me off, as I hated to give up what I had earned again and again if I didn't stay on it. It was a relief when I quit. The only times PP was part of my game was in acquiring power-specific weapons.

After a while, the newness wears down, the "excitement" level isn't as high anymore.

So there's were I see entropy. The one activity I still engage in is bounty hunting and I used to trade quite a bit, but the current rewards are so paltry, I won't break out the Cutter for the runs.

So there we are, the next update will bring FPS, we'll see what that entails.

Never thought I would take any serious interest in the BGS, it's always been a "what happens, happens" sort of thing for me. Never mattered to me if it was patronage, democracy or whatever. Though torqueing off Communists player factions is always fun since they trigger so easily. Since Odyssey is looking like a bust for me, (not bagging on it, it just appears to not be what I wanted, these things happen), I have been considering giving it a try. I may move my FC to SanTu and try to help push it back into anarchy or something. I have 40 ships and 35B available for rebuys. What's the worst that could happen?

Venturing into Open is a good one to try, it adds an existential feeling of dread to every action, even when nobody is around you can never be quite sure you won't have to take a defensive position at any moment, unlike with NPCs that behave more predictably :)

I have never been interested in mining, the addition of limpets deterred me further & the 3.3 updated mechanisms with hotspots & surface, sub-surface & core mining didn't change that. Perhaps if I wasn't already well past the point where Credits mattered to me I'd have given it more attention.

But I've recently joined a few friends (that haven't seriously travelled the galaxy before) on a carrier, jumping it around the galaxy & taking in the sights (still miss the ADS, that people called it a god-honk is laughable considering how easy it is now), and I've started helping out with the mining for tritium to refuel the carrier. With a reason to do it and a target to reach (donating to top off the tank) it's helping to add some variety to the activities available to me far out in the black, and it's something that can be done quite well in a wing. Still not tried Core mining (no point for Tritium) and still no motivation to try it.

I've yet to try killing the larger Thargoids (again no motivation to try), although I've killed a few of the small ones with conventional weapons and the corrosive damage added an interesting twist to NPC combat :)

Getting to Notoriety level 10 turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, I was expecting to be constantly hounded by the rozzers but it wasn't all that different. Still, I prefer to do my dirty work in lawless space & maintain a clean image ;)

I've done some direct PvP but I don't enjoy it, even with friends. I'm a racer not a fighter at heart, I want to beat others to achieving a goal, but I don't want to harm my opponents, only to 'win' :) My preference is diplomacy, offering solutions where everybody wins & nobody loses. I'm thinking I'd like to learn some PvP moves though, and my FA-off & PA aim could use some practice :)

Last edited:
Use to be 100% combat only. Gave mining and exploration a try, and now I have an alt for exploration and a mining ship on my main. Still a minority of my ED time, but I do enjoy them from time to time.

Maybe... Maybe Thargoid hunting or PVP. I'm not quite there yet, but I caught myself thinking about ship builds for those activities.

And maybe also doing mission types I never tried before, because there wasn't a need to do so. I have never "liberated" anyone or anything or retrieved black boxes etc. I have never interdicted anyone. And I have never deliberately and voluntarily done anything unlawful, with the exception of a tiny bit of smuggling to unlock that one engineer.

So... Still so much to discover! ^^

Say what you want about engineering, but the engineering and guardian grind led me to try out a lot of activities I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. Same with the latest CGs that had unique double-engineered rewards or paint jobs, nice rewards lure me out of my comfort zone, which usually is bounty hunting and CZ only. After having tried almost all activities in game, I actually do enjoy most of them, with the exception of exploration and long range trading. I just hate to jump and be in SC a lot and exploration on planets just doesn't have a lot to offer yet, hope Odyssey changes that.

I have not feeded or surfed Thargoids yet. It's also some years since i have killed one, even if i have sampled quite a lot.
I get back to learning railguns and flying FA-OFF once in a while.
There is a ton of things i do once in a while - Mining, Racing, Geyser Surfing, RES Bounty Hunting, BGStesting, Duelling in SRVs or Eagles, Thiefing, which are not my day-to-day game.
But having an exploration account and a bubble account for BGS brings with it doing most in a context - something i like about BGS work: every system a bit different, so i approach it a bit different.

never wanted to do PVP in Elite. Which is strange because when i played Eve it was all i really did. In fact i used to go solo hunting actively looking for people to kill :devilish:. Maybe i am just getitng old, i would rather chug around in the old corvette killing npc's now :coffee:

There are activities I didn't ever think I would be interested in originally, like jumping to Colonia and Sag A*, messing with the Thargoids, engineering... Yeah I am a hard sell.

But I've done all of them eventually, even if not completely dedicated to them. I didn't want to dally around with SLFs, or crew either but have done both since and have no problems doing it again if I have the urge.

I didn't want to engage in piracy or outright slaughter of civilians. Then I had high notoriety for a while. I probably pirated over 1b in LTDs from NPCs (never even killed or engaged a real player).

What's next? Maybe Open is the last hold out but I haven't felt the urge to go there yet. I did it a bit during some CGs but nothing since.

How about you, what paths did you avoid due to either it seeming too tedious, too much of a commitment, not your style, etc... but maybe you've since changed your mind?
Jumping to the centre and colonia was never attractive to me. My farthest was Heart and Sould nebula with mild detours on to and from leg. But jumping like 500 times? And then back? Not my cup of tea.
SLF weren't there. Nor Thargoids. No idea if we already thought about pirating LTD. Some claimed they found LTD while mining but I just think they made it up.
We expected to see mats drop somewhat geologically correct so that you could plan where to get them.
But how would you plan to get Isotonic Screw Composers and similar dollflitt? Nah. Hamsterwheel replaced pretty much anything that was ED, pushed it aside and beware you touch any virtual pride and accomplishment today and people would realise it was all for nothing and not really fun.

Last edited:
I never thought mining would be my thing but getting a carrier, well, you have to don't you, particularly if like me you like being out in the black. Now I find it a very soothing activity.

Not really interested in Thargoids, not until I can befriend them and either broker a peace between our 2 species or work with them to over throw the human race.

I recently got into a bit of combat (PvE) again, not what I came to the game for but I am enjoying it.

Wasn't ever interested in the BGS but decided to give a go recently, picking an edge of the bubble system and trying to push a faction forward. Got it in to election before I noticed that the current ruling faction was a player one, so I wasn't going to stand much chance on my own there (number of ships passing through shot up and my faction went from winning back to draw on day 2), so I bailed out. Gave a little sense of investment in the place though.

Mining. I wanted a change from exploration and on my return to the bubble marked a few hotspots to return to with a Python configured for mining, including some engineering for FSD, lightweight mods (etc.) and I found the experience just as relaxing as exploration with a little bit extra to do. :)

Mining - complicated,,,

Power Plat - meh

PvP - I play in open, but don't want to play pew, pew with everyone I see.

Thargoids - just scary.....

Raxxla - what is this?

I’ve dabbled in lots of different things in-game and enjoyed most, flipping a system not included (same problem as Hellvellyn,) but always enjoy the positive Cmdr interaction the most.

Which is weird. Because the only time I’ve ever winged up with another player was with a Hull Seal. That’s what I’d like to do most now, find a group of players (maybe VR users...comms is tough) that I can share some fun with ...... hhmmm, starting to sound like a lonely hearts ad.

....but yeah, squadrons...or wings...or summit like dat

There's not much in the game I haven't done in one form or another, other than PVP, and that's just not my cup of tea despite mostly playing in Open all this time. My next target for the should I bother category is Odyssey, and I may get around to it some day, but it won't be soonish. Like @rrobes entropy has affected me too so I stick mostly to my favorite activity, which for me is missioning, be it cargo delivery, cargo fetch, or bounty hunting. Or maybe it's just paying my carrier bills once a week, since I'm putting most of my gaming hours in Valheim these days.

Top Bottom