Community Event / Creation Actual real life full size pilot seat in the works.

If i had all the tools and resources this bloke has I'd also totally make a no I wouldn't I'd stare at a pile of wood and go back inside to microwave a mug cake.

If i had all the tools and resources this bloke has I'd also totally make a no I wouldn't I'd stare at a pile of wood and go back inside to microwave a mug cake.

Right?!? I would buy all the fixins and then my first snag I'd say screw it.
To OP, if you are still offering the files I would love to have them.

I can't believe how far you got in just 5 days - Amazing work!
It took me THREE SODDING MONTHS to bodge mine together and it was about 5% as ambitious.

Mine is here: https://photos.google.com/u/2/share...?key=YnB4RTdHdlpUeUVZYUU4aXUzUXk1akVEbW9mZ2ln

Thanks man! But that chair is about 5x more practical than anything I have built. You can move that thing at least!

Where I work, it's my job to figure out how to turn some designers detail lacking drawing/basic model into a working prototype, usually in some rediculous time frame. Years of "we need (insert rediculous demand here) next week!" has turned life from doing stuff at my leisure to Building chair, cleaning the car, making dinner all become an exercise in efficency and getting it done as soon as possible lol. Got to keep the customer happy! Me!

Right?!? I would buy all the fixins and then my first snag I'd say screw it.
To OP, if you are still offering the files I would love to have them.

No sweat bud, sent you a PM. Though, to others who get slightly ambitious, the files are pretty rugged, but if you have any soildworks experience you will be fine. If it's just the 2D cut files, so easy, just cut them out of same thickness material I did, get some angles cut on everything (I have a drawing showing what angles go where I think), PVA glue that shizzle together and yeah.

If you get around to mass producing these, you will be a rich man indeed.

I don't think FD would be impressed! haha but it would be cool to make multiple ones, get a bit of a production line going, figure out a better way to do everything, actually make a headrest and get it upholstered! So much to do to my current one, I'll get there one day :D

Update on progress:

Haven't done a single thing on it since last time. Upholsters never got back to me... They obviously don't see the coolness in it I do. I did have an interesting idea though. Going to the wreckers and finding a car seat that will fit inside the chair, or close to so I can make it fit. The MDF part where you sit gets pretty sore on the bum after about 4 hours sitting. The foam isn't quite thick enough. A car seat has the metal springs in it that provide the give required so your butt doesn't get flattened on long journeys, also, so easy to upholster or modify a bit to suit. May look into that.

I will be moving house in a couple of months and work is busy as so everything has been back burnered for now. Will probably hit it again next Christmas!

Built this in my backyard with hand Power tools

Attachments

• B66C59D6-97F6-4900-9A84-FD5A9D82A59F.jpeg
    B66C59D6-97F6-4900-9A84-FD5A9D82A59F.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 159
Top Bottom