Proposal Discussion Add antiques as tradegood which are...

Add antiques as tradegood which are actually all the technological stuff we yet have to find out if it works yet.

Like future stuff we are working on still just to see if it is even possible.
Like current designs for fusion reactors (Tokamak, Polywell, etc).
Or propulsion like the EmDrive
Or some more recent things, like the first military-grade quadruped robot "big-dog", as an antique relic.

And stuff it all under the category "antiques".

That is unlikely for a number of reasons but primarily do you really care what the antique is? I can see a mission to collect and deliver an antique but the actual antique is actually surplus to requirement - the actual mission would be travel from a to b and not get killed.

also the problem with them as trade goods is that the value is entirety subjective, what to one person is a 'valuable example of shaker style furniture that would fetch a high price in any auction,' is to someone else just a 'good looking rocking chair, its a bit worn so i'll give you a tenner for it.'

one mans trash is another mans treasure as they say, although in this case it's the other way around.

That is unlikely for a number of reasons but primarily do you really care what the antique is? I can see a mission to collect and deliver an antique but the actual antique is actually surplus to requirement - the actual mission would be travel from a to b and not get killed.

But where would you draw the line to consider an piece of detail to be surplus to the requirements?
Should all trade goods be represented as a grey box?
What else could do without visual difference? Perhaps all missiles should have the same look&feel? How about ship models? Yes, this is a big leap from your first statement about flavour text on trade items, but it underlines my point.

My suggestion was to use reallife technological references in the trade items as a wink at our current technological progress.
Do you really dislike this idea to the extend to actively express your opinion against the idea?
Or do you actually mean to say you don't need it yourself but can't imagine it ruining the game for yourself?

I am a big fan of specific scientific projects and would find it hilarious to find it referred to in a scifi game as 'antiques'.
Just like StarWars fans might enjoy finding a subtle hint to the aforementioned Movie title in their game.

Are you saying that since you do not share this sentiment, you would hate to see any kind of reference to any external non-elite subjects?

Please elaborate.

also the problem with them as trade goods is that the value is entirety subjective, what to one person is a 'valuable example of shaker style furniture that would fetch a high price in any auction,' is to someone else just a 'good looking rocking chair, its a bit worn so i'll give you a tenner for it.'

one mans trash is another mans treasure as they say, although in this case it's the other way around.

I am sure the game engine doesn't care if any flavour text is added to trade items.

Add antiques as tradegood which are actually all the technological stuff we yet have to find out if it works yet.

Like future stuff we are working on still just to see if it is even possible.
Like current designs for fusion reactors (Tokamak, Polywell, etc).
Or propulsion like the EmDrive
Or some more recent things, like the first military-grade quadruped robot "big-dog", as an antique relic.

And stuff it all under the category "antiques".

:cool: idea. I've got in my hold an Aston Martin DB4, from Earth 1968. Still working, and converted to run on Liquid Barnards Star Plasma Meth. Need the cash or I wouldn't sell it.

:cool: idea. I've got in my hold an Aston Martin DB4, from Earth 1968. Still working, and converted to run on Liquid Barnards Star Plasma Meth. Need the cash or I wouldn't sell it.

I can imagine this being an actual trade mission.
An actual trade mission would have extra detail like this.

Yes but why does it have to specific items? Why do you need to know what you are transporting?

Unless there was a specific story arc (eg: "collect the 10 lost figurines of Delphine, scattered over the galaxy for 1m Credits") the mission is secondary.

Does FedEx driver need to know the background story to what they are delivering?

Yes but why does it have to specific items? Why do you need to know what you are transporting?

Unless there was a specific story arc (eg: "collect the 10 lost figurines of Delphine, scattered over the galaxy for 1m Credits") the mission is secondary.

Does FedEx driver need to know the background story to what they are delivering?

You aren't a fedex guy, you are a player in an adventurous space mmo.
You pick up boring tradegoods to make money.
You pick up trade-missions to gain experience and stuff.
Trade-missions tend to invoke extra challenges.
These trade-missions usually come with a piece of story attached.
Why are they after you trying to prevent you from delivering your cargo?
Not because they really hate 50 Kilo's of fried pork.
This is why under certain circumstances you get 'cargo' with a story attached, with specific item names.

I don't understand why you dismiss my idea when you yourself offer an example when a named item would make sense.

My suggestion still stands.
Add trade items that refer to real-life scientific projects as antiques.

Top Bottom