Add “BUY” fiction to Material Trader

I reckon you're looking at a body in the system map and seeing that the breakdown of the materials to be found on it, in this case it told you 5.5% Germanium. Then what you're doing is landing on the planet and driving around, following the signals on your SRV scanner, this is why it is leading you to things like canisters guarded by skimmers.

Here's what you do.

FSS the system, it will tell you the same information, this body has X amount of carbon, sulphur, rocking horse poo, and then it will tell you, in the upper right hand corner how many POI's are on that planet. So then you fly over to that planet, and use a DSS, fire some probes at it and it will tell you, once you hit 100% where the geological sites are. They show up in your nav panel or as locations on the planet surface. Now you can fly directly to the site where you will find numerous chances to collect numerous materials.

Lets say that you land at one of these sites and you still only pick up a few Germanium samples, well you would also have picked up a load of different ones too, maybe carbon, sulphur or rocking horse poo.You can take those materials to the Material trader (you have to find the correct one, search the forums) and you can trade the materials you don't use for the ones you want.

This has been explained several times in his other thread, I think we are wasting out time!

I recently spent the time to go to those G4 mat sites in HIP 36601 system, Planet C. I spent a couple hours filling up on all the G4 mats there: Pollonium , Tellerium, Ruthenium etc then visited system Outotz LS-K D8-3 for Yttrium and Antimony and I haven't had to worry about raw mats for weeks now. If I run out of the basic synthesis materials I can trade in 1 of the G4 mats and get 27 of the T1's . The only thing I am short on is Selenium which doesn't have a plentiful Geosite like the others, but one trip to a the planet that has some and I'm set.
Definitely a case of 'work smarter , not harder'. Thanks to all the great explorers out there that have found these sites for us. That's why I love this community and the tools built around it. o7.

Last edited:
Well who is going to offer a front end for that stupid SRV scanner so it actually makes sense?
I just spent 2 HOURS searching for Germanium, lots of signals that dissapear as you get closer or turn out to be some cargo containers with skimmers guarding it.

The ONLY 2 nodes I actually managed to find in all that time had nothing but iron, nickel and carbon in them. This was a planet that had 5.5% Germanium.
If I can't buy it, I'm just wasting my time playing hte game because I can't progress at all, I need Germanium for FSD boost and upgrades.
Don't give me that poopooe about resource sites on planets, I've scanned planet after planet and never found one.

A total waste of my time. It's beginning to get to the stage where this game is a total waste of time.
I can't understand why anybody would go looking for Germanium. Go mining for platimum; make a bucket load of cash; get loads of free raw materials at the same time for no effort. You'll virtually fill up with nickel from one trip. Go to a material trader and trade up for germanium or anything else you want. Mining in metalic rings gives all the grade 1 materials except rhenium, several of the grade 2s and a few of the grade 3s.

You can already do that, in a way - just choose the engineering materials as a mission reward instead of cash.
Just have missions give MMT - Mission Material Tokens, that you use at a Trader to buy what you need,
without the loss of trading. Which would make doing missions a boost.

By using Mission Material Tokens, you have more freedom than currently given.
Any and all missions could then be viable, rather than making a choice dependent on a Mat selection.
Thus allowing more choice in both missions and engineer progress.

Top Bottom