Horizons Add instance hosted on servers in this season...

As I play and read about Elite i know playing with other players are problem, because of instancing, peer2peer architecture etc.

Maybe you should move some part of network code to server-side instance hosting? For example allow to bigger player groups. Allow to meet group of players in higher numbers and make it more frequent?

And left peer2peer architecture untouched for small player meetings for example 3vs3?

OK.

-Frontier Developments

Well, it was apparently rude of me, both the sarcastic one liner and the putting words into FD's mouth thing.

It's a highly unlikely request though so don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:
The issue is it cost so much. but I would love that and even pay for it...
maybe P2P if free , but if you want a smoother ride you can pay to be on a proper server that features more persistent items and so on

FD could offer a Paid Membership with perks that can pay for server instances.

Last edited:
FD could offer a Paid Membership with perks that can pay for server instances.

If they make it optional the perks will be seen as a migration to pay to win over a paid ownership game. It'll not work even if it's what's best for business.

Making the game $40 with a monthly subscription fee of $5 a month, bringing the total to $100 a year would be a better alternative but it's also been ruled out during KS.

It's highly unlikely we'll be seeing server side instances in this season or the next but an unexpected explosion in sales in the coming seasons may create the opportunity to migrate to a hybrid structure where very busy central hubs are kept on server side with a much higher player cap per instance and for the rest of the galaxy the usual 32 player p2p instances are kept. This would greatly benefit gameplay around power capitals and other popular systems such as the Lave loop without adding too much server cost.

Last edited:
Some people moan about having to buy season two, or the cost of a skin. introducing a monthly fee would send the forum into meltdown.

The optional monthly sub could give people a monthly digital magazine about Elite with insider information, exclusive cosmetics. It doesn't have to be pay-to-win. The funds go to development and hosted servers.

Last edited:
The optional monthly sub could give people a monthly digital magazine about Elite with insider information, exclusive cosmetics. It doesn't have to be pay-to-win. The funds go to development and hosted servers.

Sounds reasonable. I like.

You are taking about adding costs (extra servers) and adding extra cost (people) to write the magazine, design exclusive content etc. People will complain because they pay £5 a month and its still empty.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just on the surface these things look easy, but in reality turn out to be quite costly.

The issue is it cost so much. but I would love that and even pay for it...
maybe P2P if free , but if you want a smoother ride you can pay to be on a proper server that features more persistent items and so on

Smoother for who though? Those closer to UK-based servers? Because I know (from experience in many other online games) that from the other side of the planet it will be anything but smoother for me (particularly when any PvP is involved). P2P may have its disadvantages, but so too does server-hosted content. Not saying server-hosted content would be bad, just that it's not the panacea some believe it to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom