Additional VR comfort option for SRV turret telepresence

The only thing in VR that starts to gently press my chunder-button is when my Point Of View is rotationally moved without any corresponding head movement (or without a stable framing cockpit) - unfortunately in Elite Dangerous, this happens in the SRV turret view.

Slewing the view around whilst travelling over often bumpy terrain, and also losing the existing stable horizon comfort option? There’s a reason I tend to stay away from turret telepresence!

My proposal for an additional turret control method:

-maintain the horizon as per the existing SRV option instead of locking to the horizontal turret axis;

-slave the turret aimpoint to where the user is looking, but with the turret only traversing at a set number of deg/sec (turret reticle playing ‘catch up’ to the point of aim);

-change the current turret left/right controls to “flick turn” increments of user configurable amounts, eg 30/45/90 degrees.

This means the user can aim the turret up to the creaking limits of their neck vertebrae before flicking to a new field-of-fire.

———

Another possible comfort option for the existing turret controls would be to use “tunnel vision” vignetting when the user turret view is moving.

At the very least, I would hope for the “maintain horizon” option to be extended to the turret view - have the turret rotate around the aiming reticle.

Top Bottom