ADS: New Idea for the Honk Sound and a Challenge for our amazing Sound Crew

Imagine the giant Honk sound wouldn't be static anymore, but a composition synthesized by all objects of the current system! What does that mean?

Mass e.g. could translate to frequency (higher mass -> deeper sound), density would be represented by various overtone spectra, numbers of objects by different tones resulting in a more or less complex accord or an arpeggio of different tones, other objects like asteroid fields or USSs to different shapes of white or rose noise. Up to a giant cacophony in huge systems with 50 or more objects. ELWs could add the 'birdy sounds' of the local map, water planets the known gurgling sounds from the past (which must have been removed recently for some unknown reasons). With black holes and Neutron stars I have to stop at this point cause my imagination is going through the roof now. :D

You just got the point, and all this compact and in one single tone or a very fast 'arpeggio'.

These would be the benefits:

• It's abstract enough to not reveal too much but, with some experience, enough to provide a basic idea if a further scan would be worth a deeper scan.
  • It would answer several concerns about keeping or not the current honk functionality, including the ability to decide on a blink if it's worthwhile to stay or not.
  • Would also support the 'honker type' of deep space explorers, without insulting those who support the forthcoming new scanner methods.
  • Wouldn't take anything away as it work's on top of all current and future scanning mechanics.
  • Would *sometimes* sound brutally annoying - BUT - and here's the deal:
  • Would always be as unique as the current local map images are!
  • With the potential to sound really beautiful at times without ever feeling boring or grindy!
  • Has the potential - if done well (which I have no doubt our sound team will be perfectly capable of!) - to become the final solution to all current dissonances on the forum.

The downsides:

• Would require the development of a client side synthesizer, trimmed and specialized to this specific task.
  • Wouldn't do anything for deaf players in which case I'd suggest some optional alternative, likewise abstract graphical representation in the style of certain screensaver. Also as alternative for all those who wouldn't like this idea.
Mind, that's just a quick shot, a rough vision that would require further contemplating about some details like e.g. how to deal with multiple objects of the same sort. Basically meant as a gameplay and community unifying improvement, not so much about reality.

:)

Last edited:
I am 90% sure that the sound guys are already working on this as a feature for the energy distribution filter. If they weren't, I would be frankly shocked. It's already included as a mouse-over feature on the current system map and fits perfectly with the proposed energy filter mechanic.

Also, Frontier's sound department is just amazing, and have their fingers in every aspect of the game. So this seems like a no brainer all around.

I am 90% sure that the sound guys are already working on this as a feature for the energy distribution filter. If they weren't, I would be frankly shocked. It's already included as a mouse-over feature on the current system map and fits perfectly with the proposed energy filter mechanic.

Also, Frontier's sound department is just amazing, and have their fingers in every aspect of the game. So this seems like a no brainer all around.
I'd really like to agree with you - if there only wasn't the fact that we have to live for so long already with the current monotony of the Honk.

I like the idea - it would sound amazing :D

But....(sorry). It doesn't really "answer several concerns about keeping or not the current honk functionality, including the ability to decide on a blink if it's worthwhile to stay or not" since being abstract there's no way it could convey close oribitals or other unusual layouts, which is the crux of the debate imo. That and my hearing is a bit naff.

It is a truly great idea though - let's add some variance for the ship as well so it soulds slightly different depending on the ship you're flying. THEN we all get together in the most musical system discovered, in different ships, and honk in sequence. hazzah :D

Top Bottom