Hey guys ive been trying to wrap my head around discovery scanners for ages but the more videos i watch and forums i read i realise they all contradict each other and just make me more confused. So i figured id just ask and hope for the best, this is gonna be a long question fyi. Here goes. If anyone can help me out it would hugely appriciated.
First off i cant find anywhere that sells 1c DS which is annoying.
Ive seen videos saying that when you go to a new system all the planets will be invisible unless you buzz the system. Well when i go to a system i havnt been to before (i assume i havnt because it says i just discovered the star) all the planets ARE visible in the system map even though i havnt buzzed it, and if i had it wouldnt matter anyway cos i only have the ships standard DS which apparently has 500ls range anyway. And when i do use the standard DS it says for example: 15 stellar bodies discovered. Well if it only has 500ls range how did it discover all those planets which are usually ages away? And Is the purpose of the DS just to sell the data for profit? Seeing as from what i can tell you need the FSS to tell a planets composition and the detailed surface scanner to get the atmosphear type, and you need to map a planet to find locations on the surface, and seeing as all planets ARE visible without using it, what exactly is the point of the DS? And why cant i find an advanced DS anywhere?? Im so confused lol

The discovery system in Elite Dangerous was changed radically towards the end of last year so any video older than that will be about the previous version.

The system went from being a choice of three modules with different ranges to one built in unit, it’s operation went from just holding down the trigger for ten seconds to doing that then opening up a second screen where you can find objects in the system and frequency scan them to identify the type of object and it’s composition the lattter was previously carried out by flying to each object in turn.

The new system has many controls/buttons/keys to bind and there are guides in the guides and tutorials sub forum look for FSS or new exploration system as well as a recent date.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Med
You're seeing planets because someone else has sold the data on those systems. Travel further out to see empty systems. You can get close to planets to fully identify them, or use the fss.

• Like (+1)
Hey guys ive been trying to wrap my head around ........... Im so confused lol

First off - welcome - this is the right place for sensible advice.

Second - be aware of the "sell by date" of much stuff about Elite Dangerous on the web particularly the yootoob and redd-ishsortofbeige-it. Google results can easily steer you to vastly outdated stuff, so just bear it in mind.

As already stated, the exploration tools got a big makeover so stick with the more recent guides for hints and tips.

• Like (+1)
The description is as follows:

The Discovery Scanner is an integrated scanner module used to instantly identify all astronomical objects within an uncharted star system. When activated, either in normal space or Supercruise, the Discovery Scanner catalogues stars and marks the positions of planets and moons. The Full Spectrum System Scanner can then be used to catalogue planetary bodies, and reveal the positions of any Signal Sources, while the Detailed Surface Scanner can collect in-depth composition data on planetary bodies and map their surfaces.

Basically:
  1. DS (Discovery Scanner) is natively equipped to all ships, and will get you basic information about a system. How many bodies are in a system, and the presence of radio signals. (if the bodies in a system have been scanned by another player you get orbital positions of those bodies, and the planet image on the system map)
  2. FSS (Full Spectrum System Scanner) Allows you to collect details of a orbital body from a distance instead of having to get within 500ls of it. Unlocking the bodies detailed information in the system map. If you use the FSS first thing after entering a system, it will force you to use the DS anyway. So there is two methods of using the DS essentially.
  3. DSS (Detailed Surface Scanner) Allows you to fire probes at a planet to collect mapping information and unlock the location of any surface sites of interest.

All of which progressively increases the value of the exploration data when sold to a station.

The advanced discovery scanner was removed and simply called discovery scanner that was made native to all ships instead of using up a slot in the optional internals.

• Like (+1)
Ohhh that makes sense i get it
Holy crap you guys have stopped my head from hurting thankyou so much for the help :)
Is muchly appriciated
(Sorry for the nooby question)

This is the place for questions for the new player and, indeed, the old player who have new questions. I've been playing for a while now and still have questions. Given you get constructive and accurate answers in this forum, it's my go-to place. Welcome to ED!

@@@07

• Like (+1)
Top Bottom