Advanced DC kind of clumsy?

Anybody else tried using the new ADC with a speedy ship such as, perhaps, a Viper 3, Eagle or iCourier?

My Viper had a spare slot and, well, I thought I'd give it a try.

It has a nasty habit of slamming me into landing pads at around 300m/s.

I think it's suppoed to descent at speed but then hover above the pad before landing.
It does do this sometimes, particularly at stations, but landing on planet surfaces (regardless of local gravity) is just bloomin' brutal.

Anyway, I just had the ultimate consequence of this when I allowed the ADC to land me (in my Viper, without a shield) at Lei Chung's base and... splat.
Rebuy. :(

The half-million credits rebuy isn't a big deal and it's not a show-stopper for the ADC cos when I do have a shield fitted I don't suffer a lot of damage but I don't think it's "working as intended" when the ADC face-plants your ship into the pad hard enough to destroy it, right?

Oh, while I'm at it, while I was leaving a station, just prior to this, the ADC kept me "waiting in queue" until the timer had counted down to 24 seconds and then I manually throttled up to get out of there.
The ADC wasn't showing any inclination to get me out of there (it was a busy station) but I don't think the "queuing system" is working correctly when various ships can complete their exit from a station while you just sit there, waiting to get exploded for loitering.

Not tried a fast ship yet but so far the ADC lands my T9 on the pads flawlessly and apart from occasional issues with tall structures while it waits in the queue to exit has no problems leaving the station, where it regularly messes up is hitting the bottom/side of the slot when docking sometimes hard enough to take down the screens.

The problem I experience is when I'm in my Cutter waiting in queue for egress the ship starts this circular gyration that slams the wing nacelle's into the station. It hasn't affected any other ships to that extent but the wild movement is still there like a 5 year old that has to use the bathroom.

dxm55

Banned
Never had an issue with the ADC.

Sometimes it lands me really hard on a pad, especially in a high-G planet, but I've never seen any damage as a consequence.
I've always thought it was a glitch that the ADC can slam me down but cause no damage, especially when I lose half my shields doing the same manually.

But I like that kinda glitch. Works for me. LOL.

Never tried it on a fast ship yet but on a Python and a T9, where it worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood).
I sold my ADC after it kept scraping Porkchop's* belly on the letterbox going into stations. It costs a lot to repair that sort of damage on an annie! There have been a lot less prangs since I sold the bloody thing!
*my anaconda.

Anybody else tried using the new ADC with a speedy ship such as, perhaps, a Viper 3, Eagle or iCourier?

My Viper had a spare slot and, well, I thought I'd give it a try.

It has a nasty habit of slamming me into landing pads at around 300m/s.

I think it's suppoed to descent at speed but then hover above the pad before landing.
It does do this sometimes, particularly at stations, but landing on planet surfaces (regardless of local gravity) is just bloomin' brutal.

Anyway, I just had the ultimate consequence of this when I allowed the ADC to land me (in my Viper, without a shield) at Lei Chung's base and... splat.
Rebuy. :(

The half-million credits rebuy isn't a big deal and it's not a show-stopper for the ADC cos when I do have a shield fitted I don't suffer a lot of damage but I don't think it's "working as intended" when the ADC face-plants your ship into the pad hard enough to destroy it, right?

Oh, while I'm at it, while I was leaving a station, just prior to this, the ADC kept me "waiting in queue" until the timer had counted down to 24 seconds and then I manually throttled up to get out of there.
The ADC wasn't showing any inclination to get me out of there (it was a busy station) but I don't think the "queuing system" is working correctly when various ships can complete their exit from a station while you just sit there, waiting to get exploded for loitering.
It's like Blackadder said: "If you want a job done properly, first kill Baldric, then do it yourself!"

Weird thing is the speed it moves my ship using the thrusters (as opposed to the main engines).

I double-checked this 'cos I wasn't sure if I was exaggerating.

When I first arrive at a destination, I cut thrust, request landing and the DC moves my ship forward at 99m/sec.
Once it gets over the pad, however, it activates the vertical thrusters and, depending on altitude, it accelerates my ship to anywhere between 150m/sec and 300m/sec.

At a station this issue is minimised because you come through the mailslot and end up in the centre of the station so your maximum height above the pad is the radius of the station (a couple of hundred metres?).
The worst-case scenario, however, is that during a planetary landing I might find myself above my landing pad while still, perhaps, higher than 1km over it.
That's when the vertical thrusters can seriously splat me onto the pad.

You can actually provoke this to happen deliberately (in a fast ship) by requesting docking and then manually positioning yourself directly over the pad but high above it, then the DC will kick-in and slap your ship down onto the pad.

Also, I can't help thinking that if the DC doesn't comply with speed-limites when using momentary thrusters, does that also mean that I'm exempt from them when I'm using momentary thrusters too?
If so, it seems like that might be exploitable in various ways.

I used a standard DC once to land my brand new Cutter to outfit her and got a refund afterwards.

I don't find it difficult to manually land a Cutter or other smaller & nimbler ships, and have tried leaving a planetary base and landing Python in 3rd person view.

Source: https://youtu.be/X01qoK3t148

Yeah, have the DC on my viper. Love how it slams me down on the pad, sometimes at an angle.

It basically says "I've got jobs to do and i'm not messing around"

Yep noticed this many times. Just thought it was how it rolled sometimes.

That's not maddening though, try and work out what its rules are for ground bases for deciding whether it will boost you up to the top of the column and completely redo your approach. I can't seem to find any consistency in this. Yes sure i could just let the docking computer do 100% but thats boring.

Whats also interesting is.. not completely sure.. but i swear the docking computer ignores gravity on high g worlds.. or its pretty hard to get it to crash because of gravity. Maybe the thrusters for ai are given a buff to prevent the support tickets due to your ai/npc killing your ship.

Last edited:
Overall I'm pretty impressed by the ADC (Figured I'd install one coz, why not, spare slot and all that) - first time since the 1980's that I used a DC!

But yeah, definitely a few niggles:

* Doesn't always adhere to speed limit (not entirely sure what logic it employs, sometimes it boosts me around stations at 400m/s, other times it bumbles along at 80m/s)

* Usually is faster than a 'decent' pilot (should be much slower to incentivise pilots to dock manually)

* No way to toggle on/off quickly (it's VERY disconcerting fighting it for the controls while wanting to dock manually)

* While waiting in a queue to leave, the ship sometimes waits patiently until it is time to leave and other times the ADC jiggles it all over the place even smacking it into station walls.

* Traffic-queue system -leaving- the station is broken anyway. Better (IMHO) would be:
  1. Request clearance to leave
  2. Added to launch queue if using ADC (*)
  3. Granted permission to leave (at this point the time-to-leave countdown starts and the pad becomes 'free' for people having requested to dock)
  4. Lift off from Pad and Leave
Ie; there should be none of this hanging around inside the station waiting in a queue. At a busy station the entire interior is full of ships jostling to get in or out.

(*) Would be fun if manual pilots were put into the launch queue too, and if you jump the gun you get a minor fine. Ditto for docking approach - put into docking queue and if you enter the mailslot before you're given clearance you get a minor fine. Perhaps even depending on station/government type. But I guess 99% of people would get fines on every takeoff and landing..

I like the ADC and SC computers because they give me free slots!

Absolutely this !! ^^

Imho crappy stuff... I tried the DC some time ago in my first iClipper - because it was my first huuuuge ship... - and the DC boosted my shiny new ship straight into the station wall right next to the mailslot... With a bit of luck and shields the Clipper survived but guess what not...

pff All those "automatic" gizmos, that fly the ship on their own... And next time it's "Alexa, play Elite: Dangeous..." (or whatever "speech assistant" is to your liking...)

So I stay with the free slots... ;)

Just my 2 ct

Top Bottom