Advanced DC kind of clumsy?

I haven't tried the adc yet but the high speed planetary landing thing is how it always was for my courier in most cases, fun fact if you use the dc to align with the pad and then disengage it and throttle down you could slam your ship down even faster :p

It's better with some ships than others. I suspect it has some ship parameters built in, and if you've done a lot of engineering it finds the ship behaviour unexpected.

With my T9 I find it pretty good, but it can't seem to control my Cutter.

I find it clumsier than the DC.
i used it on my sightseeing Python and noticed that it likes to boost around stations (which is not bad) but it also has some really unpolished flight path algorithms which seems to be different from the ones used by the DC. Clearly was made by another dev.
For example, it does not perfectly align with the outpost when landing and has to do several maneuvers to land on the last seconds before touchdown
Also when launching from starports it has the bad habit of scratching other ships or the mail slot.

I ditched it and went back to DC.

Anybody else tried using the new ADC with a speedy ship such as, perhaps, a Viper 3, Eagle or iCourier?

Would never waste a slot on a small ship,engineering just makes things worse on small ships with a DC, way too much speed, personally have it installed on my larger freighters with plenty of slots to spare. Those ships are constantly docking/undocking, can land them in my sleep FA-OFF, so ADC & SCA is a godsend.

Changes that I'm not really happy with -

1. You can no longer disconnect the ADC by turning off flight assist, fairly annoying, was quite useful on the older DC.

2. No longer able to inhibit boost by lowering the landing gear before engaging the ADC, again not sure why they removed this function, I don't need my T9 or Cutter boosting towards the station.

3. ADC queue system still seems to give the player ship low priority over NPC ships..

4. Outpost landings are still like roller coaster rides, I'll happily send the devs a VR headset, they can give the DC a try, something tells they would adjust the landing pathing being used.

5. Refinery stations are risky unless you don't mind getting your paint scratched, best to had fly docking and undocking.

Been using the ADC on and off for a while now, overall very stable, tested up to 4g surface ports and plenty of orbitals.

I was gonna post...
"Never used an ADC - Never will..."
But...I've been contemplating building a new Viper...and OP makes faceplanting pads sound fun!! (It'll make a good video anyway!)
I'll have a play around (laughing maniacally) and FDev can review it 😜

Would never waste a slot on a small ship,engineering just makes things worse on small ships with a DC, way too much speed, personally have it installed on my larger freighters with plenty of slots to spare.

Uhuh.

At least when you take back control in a small ship you can change the outcome... as long as you're paying attention.
When your T9 or Cutter decides to boost toward the mailslot, when it's misaligned, you might as well just switch to the external camera for the best view of the collision.

I really just stuck the ADC on my Viper because I've been using it as a taxi while I've been transferring a lot of ships in and out of SD.
In normal use, even another C1 cargo rack would probably be more useful.

I do still insist on fitting a DC to all my cargo ships and passenger ships, just for the sake of consistency and because it just seems "right" that ships like that would operate that way.
The ADC is especially handy because it means you can plot a course while you're leaving a station, which'd improve efficiency in CGs... if only we still had CGs to use it. :(

Yesterday it floated my Cutter around the interior of the station in a drunken weave for a while, then it rammed me in the rear with a Challenger, which continued to thrust and pinned my Cutter against the front of the station, just under the mailslot. I attempted to take control at that point but was unable to do so. I had to exit to main menu.

So yeah, it’s great.

Yesterday it floated my Cutter around the interior of the station in a drunken weave for a while, then it rammed me in the rear with a Challenger, which continued to thrust and pinned my Cutter against the front of the station, just under the mailslot. I attempted to take control at that point but was unable to do so. I had to exit to main menu.

So yeah, not great at all.

Sounds like a date with Harvey Weinstein 😬

So yeah, it’s great.
Shh, don't tell the anti-logging Brigade...

Its kinda like auto park for your car if it starts to mess up hit the brakes and show it how its done if your out getting coffee while auto docking well its re buy for you

Overall I'm pretty impressed by the ADC (Figured I'd install one coz, why not, spare slot and all that) - first time since the 1980's that I used a DC!

But yeah, definitely a few niggles:

* Doesn't always adhere to speed limit (not entirely sure what logic it employs, sometimes it boosts me around stations at 400m/s, other times it bumbles along at 80m/s)

* Usually is faster than a 'decent' pilot (should be much slower to incentivise pilots to dock manually)

* No way to toggle on/off quickly (it's VERY disconcerting fighting it for the controls while wanting to dock manually)

* While waiting in a queue to leave, the ship sometimes waits patiently until it is time to leave and other times the ADC jiggles it all over the place even smacking it into station walls.

* Traffic-queue system -leaving- the station is broken anyway. Better (IMHO) would be:
  1. Request clearance to leave
  2. Added to launch queue if using ADC (*)
  3. Granted permission to leave (at this point the time-to-leave countdown starts and the pad becomes 'free' for people having requested to dock)
  4. Lift off from Pad and Leave
Ie; there should be none of this hanging around inside the station waiting in a queue. At a busy station the entire interior is full of ships jostling to get in or out.

(*) Would be fun if manual pilots were put into the launch queue too, and if you jump the gun you get a minor fine. Ditto for docking approach - put into docking queue and if you enter the mailslot before you're given clearance you get a minor fine. Perhaps even depending on station/government type. But I guess 99% of people would get fines on every takeoff and landing..

Yes but then some ship is stuck in the queue outside the station because you are sat there for minutes waiting for launch clearance.

Only used in on a few big and clumsy ships. It's pretty good except with some engineer bases with the bridges over the landing pads. It tries to fly through those. Some spaceports also have those refinery towers or whatever and I've had to apply a little lateral thrust to keep it from crashing in them. I am able to do that even though it tries to fight me.

Top Bottom