Aegis or Salvation: Who do you side with?

I think I may have been a bit too subtle with the question. What I was asking for was something from FDEV to give some background to the Q .. while there may well be a lot of stuff scattered about the forums, including a lot of guff and nonsense, so it would be good if they said "here's what we know so far" and pointed to some background info. Giving players additional information (more so for new/returning players) gives context to the question of "which side" because as I said, right now, I don't care, as both names mean nothing to me. What I want to know is (and pref from FDEV), is why should I care? What's going on? Who are either of them? What's the lore?

Give some context.
You csn check Galnet archive as official source and ED wiki and Canonn science as community source.
But then this is different than the usual consumers' approach.

Fdev will win, always. Champions of manipulation. Give both sides the same reward, then you can ask such a questions, Zac.
I work (minimum) only for double engineered anything. That's all. Players have no any influence on future stories.
At the end, from all this overblown Galnet news and CG we have mostly insignificant modules or weapons.
Sirius megacorporation, fourth superpower, bla, bla, bla, is able to offer Detailed Surface Scanner!!! Wow!!!! What an excitement!!!! Wow!!!
Salvation will offer Decals??????? Decals will save humanity!!!!!!! Wow!!!!

Very good CG should offer next rewards:
One side: Stop crashing the game when everything is solved and I'm ready to loot the whole settlement.
Another side: Give info where to find Smear Campaign Plans.

What would you choose Zac?

But rewards only for 75% of players. It's too painful for Fdev to give such a things to everybody, and then there's nobody for mind f.......

Last edited:
Give some context.

I don't think you're going to get any better than that as an overview, Aegis in particular has been around for years.

Fdev will win, always. Champions of manipulation. Give both sides the same reward, then you can ask such a questions, Zac.
I work (minimum) only for double engineered anything. That's all. Players have no any influence on future stories.
At the end, from all this overblown Galnet news and CG we have mostly insignificant modules or weapons.
Sirius megacorporation, fourth superpower, bla, bla, bla, is able to offer Detailed Surface Scanner!!! Wow!!!! What an excitement!!!! Wow!!!
Salvation will offer Decals??????? Decals will save humanity!!!!!!! Wow!!!!

Very good CG should offer next rewards:
One side: Stop crashing the game when everything is solved and I'm ready to loot the whole settlement.
Another side: Give info where to find Smear Campaign Plans.

What would you choose Zac?

But rewards only for 75% of players. It's too painful for Fdev to give such a things to everybody, and then there's nobody for mind f.......
Weird meltdown..

Fdevs already said the current story is already written, so of course the most important things are fixed, even if you harass their CMs. What does not mean that we can't influence minor things that ain't too important.

They also started to make special CG modules available for everyone, like the FSDv1 or now the DSSv1. I'm sure they will go on with this. And here's my theory how they'll do it:

Salvation is Li, trying to get a monopoly on AX (on-foot?) weaponry, as well as ingratiating themself with the people, by providing said modules. So he can establish Sirius as the 4th SP. Not sure whether they still also have altrustic motives.
They will make all double engineered modules available for purchase, no matter what happens. Even if Aegis would win now, they could come up with any plot twisting galnet article.

So we can influence happenings in the story, such as how many starports get built or what modules will be available at what point. But not the actual results of the plot. I mean if you're a chef, you don't let your guests come into the kitchen and ruin the meals. That's how companies work.

I mean if you're a chef, you don't let your guests come into the kitchen and ruin the meals. That's how companies work.
In any normal restaurant your guests will take a look at menu, with description of food, and then they will make a choice.
Here we have poor menu without any description - we don't know anything about the food.
We have illusion of choice. This is manipulation. This is something what I don't like.

In any normal restaurant your guests will take a look at menu, with description of food, and then they will make a choice.
Here we have poor menu without any description - we don't know anything about the food.
We have illusion of choice. This is manipulation. This is something what I don't like.
Who said we would be able to make huge storychanging decisions in the current plotline?

We already bought the mysterious special menu by purchasing the game. Noone said how the story would develop before we paid, like in every video game.

You don't get manipulated, you get served an entertaining plot. Novellas/movies/stage plays/etc have the same level of "manipulation". If you want to avoid this, you shouldn't consume any media/information at all

I've been a Dungeon Master for 20+ years. If Elites narrative was a campaign I was running, this CG would be deceptively pivotal with very real player driven impacts.

First the facts
  1. We know the guardian society created AI
  2. We know The guardians/Thargoids encountered each other and were at war
  3. We know the guardian race was destroyed by the AI they created
  4. We know several sentinel surface and space locations remain active
  5. And now from the Proteus logs we know that guardian tech can emit a lethal burst of energy killing living organic matter
Sources:
Archaeological Info
Historical Codex
Proteus Logs

Now the speculation
If I was crafting this narrative Ram Tah and Salvation story lines would be the prelude to a full resurgence of guardian AI awakened by increased hostilities in the aftermath of recent uptick in Thargoid aggression and the 7 Martyr bombings. All of the above facts illustrate this is a legitimate possibility.

Aegis has proven itself a good early defense against Thargoids. Technology they helped develop has over the years turned the Thargoid crisis into a protracted border skirmish in essence. They push, we push back. That's been the status quo. Aegis wants the more guardian tech to continue their weapons research using Guardian tech and to further proliferate the availability of guardian weaponry (reduced unlock costs CG reward). It's the devil we know. Versus Salvation the devil you don't know. On the surface, Aegis should appear to players as the safe choice. There are some red flags though.
  1. Aegis admittedly doesn't fully understand Guardian tech hence the need for research
  2. We've seen how reliance on Guardian tech coupled with misunderstanding of it capabilities lead to the Guardians destruction after their tech gained sentience
  3. We've seen from the Proteus the consequences of the pursuit of alien weapons technology for both it and its sister ship.
Salvation on the other hand is a mystery. They have secret knowledge both of lost expeditions and advanced understanding of Guardian tech (engineered Guardian CG reward). The only leads we have on his motivation is a communicated belief Humanity is at risk and only he can save us. This is the quintessential expression of a leap of faith. Backing salvation is the obviously more risky choice for players. I'll list the red flags below but it's only through him that we recently discovered 2 lost expeditions, a Xeno battleground and a morality lesson on the dangers of pursuing Guardian weapons tech with rudimentary knowledge of its workings.

Red Flags
  1. Background and identity is unknown.
  2. Sounds a bit like a nutter, think Cassandra paradox.
Story Speculation
If I was crafting the narrative. We would be on the cusp of a massive Guardian resurgence which would significantly change the balance of power and calculus of Human/Thargoid conflict. This would be a predetermined outcome however the players in this CG would have a significant impact on the scale and devastation of such a hostile re-emergence.

For example, lets assume the Guardians maintain a connection and level of control over existing guardian technology. What if the that control extends to even Guardian tech modules because our lack of knowledge failed to identify the danger? A Guardian resurgence could like like this:

1. Scores of previously unknown guardian sites simultaneously activate including several in Human occupied space
  2. The activated guardian sites begin to hum ominously until they discharge a pulse of energy killing anything in the vicinity of the site, relics or other Guardian tech. This kills untold millions stressing the super powers ability to respond.
  3. CMDRs are safe due to radiation shielding in ships/flight suits but quickly realize all installed guarding modules of deactivated and cannot be restored
  4. Simultaneously still functional Guarding skimmers and fighter drones perform limited first strikes on vulnerable Human/Thargoid targets with the bulk of forces consolidating defenses around their key infrastructure
  5. Guardian automated factories come online and begin mass producing sentries and fighter drones signally a exponential escalation of danger every moment these factories remain online
  6. Discover caustic missiles based on Thargoid tech are incredibly effective against the low hull guardian drones leading to a player driven research project for the develoment other Thargoid technology.
Backing Aegis would further proliferate the spread of Guardian tech and artefacts significantly extending the destruction of this hypothetical opening attack.

Backing Salvation, if we accept he's a Cassandra like figure could reduce the proliferation and with his advanced understanding of Guardian tech may make some modules resistant to the initial deactivation leaving the augmented shards cannons a still viable weapon against the Thargoids while a solution is found to restore the other Guardian tech.

In a scenario like above I'd have a million springboards to give players meaningful avenues to explore and shape the story.

1. Hold the line against the Thargoids now that our Guass cannons are kaput
  2. Enemy of my enemy my friends? Maybe we should take a 2nd go at Thargoid diplomacy. They tangled with these guys before and made the ship loaded with this Guardian crap disappear after all.
  3. Investigate guardian firmware patches to restore existing tech to a usable state
  4. Join the front lines against Guardian incursions
  5. Strike teams to deactivate Guardian infrastructure (Shut down mission at Guardian factory or Space station assault on Guardian communication node using mega ship/ capital ship mechanics)
  6. Organize rescues. CMDRs are stranded in low star density fringes of space due to inoperable FSD boosters.
And so on and so forth...

That said, my imagination isn't limited my scripting and network speeds so we'll see what you come up with with the tools you have available @Zac Cocken

Last edited:
Who said we would be able to make huge storychanging decisions in the current plotline?

We already bought the mysterious special menu by purchasing the game. Noone said how the story would develop before we paid, like in every video game.

You don't get manipulated, you get served an entertaining plot. Novellas/movies/stage plays/etc have the same level of "manipulation". If you want to avoid this, you shouldn't consume any media/information at all
Becuase the game gives us 'choices'. If they wanted a railroad, why give us choices? If they want choices, why dangle shiny things in front of us to pull us down a certain path? It's bad storytelling.

Either don't let us have any involvement at all, or turn the story into choose your own adventure. There Fdev, those are your own choices....

Either don't let us have any involvement at all, or turn the story into choose your own adventure. There Fdev, those are your own choices....
lol I'm sure they don't care about your ultimatum. And you don't have to care about their CGs.
Becuase the game gives us 'choices'. If they wanted a railroad, why give us choices? If they want choices, why dangle shiny things in front of us to pull us down a certain path? It's bad storytelling.
The results of your choice is the reward provided by each CG, as it is stated in the description text, before you join the CG. If you think that's boring, you don't have to participate. I like the idea of CGs, even if they don't let people mess with their work too much 🤷‍♂️

What I want to see really is the Thargoids dialing up the pain forcing players to make ever more rash choices- Salvation pops up like the Pied Piper, everyone greets him as the messiah only for him to grab the players balls and everyone realises how wrong they were about him/ her / it.

Its about time FD got crazy with the story.

What I want to see really is the Thargoids dialing up the pain forcing players to make ever more rash choices- Salvation pops up like the Pied Piper, everyone greets him as the messiah only for him to grab the players balls and everyone realises how wrong they were about him/ her / it
Sounds like Aegis, we're almost there except for the reveal.

Top Bottom