AFK Turretboats are still a problem.

I did the math and Grom did a combined 840,790 merits in the form of merit bombs right before cycle tick. The day before tick he had almost zero merits on the board. At 10 merits a kill in CZs that is slightly over 84,000 ship kills.

Opposition did a combined 525,320 merits. At 30 merits a kill that is just over 17,000 ship kills. I find it hard to believe that 1 faction alone can out merit The Alliance, 4 Imperial Factions and 2 Federal factions and various Independents who may or may not have helped oppose also.

These are screens from right before last cycle (247) ending so it may have been even more than this. Let me break down these expansions further.

Bulkuylkana impacted ALD for 42CC and Torval for 38CC in respects to their Command Captial. You can assume that only ALD and Torval Cmdrs would have opposed it and possibly other Imperials who were working together. Grom did 424,250 merits here, which is 42,425 ship kills. Roughly half of his efforts were put here. Opposition did 146,340 merits, which is about 4878 ship kills. The triggers are heavily in the Opposition's favor but it doesn't matter with such brute force numbers like this.

unknown (2).png

LFT 926 impacted Mahon for 24CC and Winters for 26CC in respects to their Command Captial. You can see it was hardly pushed at all, but still heavily opposed. You can assume that only Cmdrs from the Alliance and Federation would have opposed this one. Grom put in a measly 1,230 merits, which is 123 ship kills. Opposition did a massive 328,350 merits, which is about 10,945 ship kills. The triggers were relatively even, but despite this it was not pushed hardly at all.

unknown (3).png

Tatamo only impacted Mahon but for 11CC in respects to his Command Capital. You can see it was opposed some but due to the triggers it was not opposed very heavy. You can also assume that only Alliance Cmdrs would have opposed it. Grom put in 246,300 merits here, which is 24,630 ship kills. Opposition put in 12,280 merits which is 409 ship kills.

unknown (4).png

Gliese 900.1 impacted Patreus for 76CC and Torval for 11CC in respects to their Command Captial. You can assume that only Patreus and Torval Cmdrs would have opposed it and possibly other Imperials as well. Grom put in 169,010 merits here, or 16,901 ship kills. Opposition put in 38,350 merits, or about 1,278 ship kills.

unknown (5).png

Bulkuylkana was aimed at hurting ALD and Torval, and the fact that half of Grom's merits came from here shows it. LFT 926 would have hurt both Mahon and Winters but was not pushed hardly at all. Tatamo would have only hurt Mahon but was heavily pushed. Gliese 900.1 would have only hurt Patreus and Torval, and was also heavily pushed too. Looking at the data here you can safely assume that whoever is pushing these expansions favors the Federation.

I personally think that this is being done with Turret boat Cutters in CZs, using a wing of 4 with all turrets and 1 heal beam to keep their shields up indefinitely. Doing this you can basically AFK farm all week, and all you gotta do is aim at a wing mate and put a rubber band on your fire key to keep your heal beam firing all cycle. The sheer amount of merits suggests this, and if you do the math it equates to 1 wing in each of the three expansions all cycle doing 1200 merits an hour nonstop all week.

I've thought about possible fixes to this problem, and the simplest one that came to mind was simply either reducing the healing effectiveness of heal beams or making them function similar to Concordant lasers. Such that the healing effect only works while you are not actively taking damage. I think that removing heal beams may not be a good fix as they do have their uses but I feel that in their current form that they are being used and abused to great effect.

The easiest solution imho is to have the Powerplay CZs converted into a form of the new style CZs so they timeout eventually & stop spawning ships or have Power Bonds from Power Ship kills expire after a relatively short period of time to force a player to manually leave the Powerplay CZ's instance and dock. In my opinion it is unrealistic to expect FDev to rework healing beams when they have already implemented a solution in the game for such a problem.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

What I find must amusing about the whole situation is, that Grom is labeles as "mostly dead" by all powers (since EGP officially quit elite). 800k merits however prove that there is some serious activity going on. Either from a strong community or just a skeleton crew of people who are controlling entire wings of turret boats. They must be also extremely well organized while also not communicating with any other major power. At all.

What I find must amusing about the whole situation is, that Grom is labeles as "mostly dead" by all powers (since EGP officially quit elite). 800k merits however prove that there is some serious activity going on. Either from a strong community or just a skeleton crew of people who are controlling entire wings of turret boats. They must be also extremely well organized while also not communicating with any other major power. At all.

One person can control 4 turret boats in a wing without issue...

One person can control 4 turret boats in a wing without issue...

Oh yea I am aware of that. "Either from a strong community or just a skeleton crew of people who are controlling entire wings of turret boats." Because following the pattern we have several wings of turretbots in grom. But oh well. we will see what happens.

If someone is going to AFK Turret Boat they are probably willing to use the block player function, their firewall, and/or other software to 'turn off' open only. Also someone on PC can't attack someone on Console.

CMDR Justinian Octavius
Thankfully you can't afk autoblock yet.

Edit wlan borked

I am not sure if you are aware that there are other ways to score expansion kills that give you 3x amount of merits per kill and also are easier because ships are not engineered.

I am not sure if you are aware that there are other ways to score expansion kills that give you 3x amount of merits per kill and also are easier because ships are not engineered.

Yes, its the only way to farm merits. Now I'm wondering if there's a way to go AFK with this. :unsure:

Yes, its the only way to farm merits. Now I'm wondering if there's a way to go AFK with this. :unsure:
Contrary to the popular belief, you can't actually do the heal beam circle fully afk. Ships will shift a bit, lose focus, die. Believe me, I tried. You have to watch it, or you will risk to find all your snipe wiped out.

yes, this shows exactly that turret-boating MUST be going on. 800k merits done the standard (legitimate) way takes 40 CMDRs doing 20k each. For sure, Grom's 5C doesn't have 40 CMDRs.. probably more like 6.

Grom's 5C certainly doesn't talk to any other powers, seem to hit Mahon, Torval, Patreus, Hudson, Winters, ALD - so no discernible pattern, other than trying to trash Grom's economy. I suspect its the same group of low-life's that trashed Torval, and Mahon battled for years. With almost no CMDRs behind Grom now that EG Pilots have gone back to BGS only, its just going to go on and on.

I've always thought having different mechanism for expansions for each power was unbalanced. Hauling in a 750T T9/Cutter you can get 3000 merits/hr. Shooting in Military Strikes you can only get 1000.

The reinvention of BGS combat zones went a long way to stopping turret boat exploitation - and Justinian's proposal is good. Sadly 5C will always find a way to bot. Another option would be to remove turret lasers from the game. Turret MCs or anything else with ammo will need to be restocked.

For sure, the current situation with Grom is making a mockery of other powers who are run for the good of their power. I imagine FDEV won't do a damn thing.

Oh, and Lysolx - whilst some of the more recent Grom expansions (Soch for example) have hit Imperials, Many have hit Hudson - BD+10, Ngallin, Algreit (being prepped currently, contests Hudson 44CC), and more I can't remember off the top of my head... Hudson has lost hundreds of CC to this problem. Mahon has been hit the most - and the Federation are certainly not antagonistic vs them... so I don't think Grom's 5C is driven by people in favour of the federation. Their only agenda, I imagine is to trash Grom and to stir up salt, getting Feds and Imps blaming each other, while they snigger away in the background thinking how clever they are.

Top Bottom