After 3 years, I'm still playing this game. And for that, I'd like to take a moment of appreciation

TL;DR: I like Elite Dangerous, and I always will. But for the love of god, fix those massacre and wing trading missions.

No game, ever, have I engaged in the community quite like I have in Elite...

I'd like to start by taking this very valuable time out of my day to express my gratitude and thanks to Frontier Developments for making this Space Simulator. No game, ever, in the history of me playing a video game have I engaged in the community quite like I have in Elite Dangerous. I have never participated or joined in in a game's forum, or online community outside the game, before I started playing Elite. I still remember the first time I logged into the subreddit and official forums, seeing so many passionate players talking about every aspect of the game. Sure, I've come to learn other games have similar communities, but Elite always felt... special. So many other game forums talk about optimizing builds and how to do this or do that, but yet, in the Elite online community, there's also that, but there is so much MORE talk about... the philosophy of doing certain activities. Why, as a space cowboy, a trading loner, a bio-waste dropping pirate, or even the multi-crew explorer, there were passionate discussions about WHY you do the things that you do. There are still so many "WHY" discussions, and how to make the game better and to build off of what they love. I mean... even NEGATIVE original post threads have life in them. At the core of even those hateful posts, there is still a spark of admiration and willingness to constructively critique the developers. If the game was TRULY as bad as they said, there wouldn't have been a post to begin with. I know, for me, games that I grew tired of their nonsense, I just stopped playing. Yet, people keep coming back to the forums, at the very least, to check up on the game. That, in itself, is astonishing.

From Request Docking to "Docking Successful. Engines Disengaged"...

Despite some hiccups, glitches, salt mines, and overhyped/underrated/broken segments of gameplay and development, Elite Dangerous is still a game that has no rival. Even though some missions and activities have lucratively high credit payouts, horribly poverty-line low payouts, and everywhere in between, Frontier Developments have made a game that is so much more than who can make the most credits or own the most ships. You are a spaceship pilot, and the galaxy is yours to not conquer. Ha, seems silly, but I value not being the hero of the story for once. While many players think high and mighty of their PvP skills, one wrong move around a neutron star renders them mortal. That's not a bash at PvP (I really like consensual pews). I don't think I can think of any other multiplayer game where pure skill is a huge chunk of whether you are the victor, or an insurance fraud victim. This game is skill, on skill, on skill. How long did it take you get the landing down to under 30 seconds from Request Docking to "Docking Successful. Engines Disengaged"? That's a skill you learned right from the beginning. It took me so long to build up the courage to not wait for the System Security to engage those pirates on my own. Oh yeah, I died quite a few times. But I LEARNED. No, not learning to button mash in a certain order, either. That's not kill, that's memorizing. I'm talking about learning how to use your FA effectively, how to actually aim your fixed weapons and shoot the canister of Liquor off the nose of an Adder. Learning each aspect of this game felt so rewarding. Even knowing how to mine efficiently is a skill! There's no "lucky shots" here. Though, I haven't seen any "360 no scope" videos yet...

3 STOCK EAGLES WITH A FULL CARGO OF BIOWASTE...
I have made my fair share of criticisms to Fdev on numerous occasions. For starters, WHY ARE MASSACRE MISSIONS SO FLUBBING TERRIBLE, AND WHY AM I HAULING OVER 9,000 TONNES TO GET THE TOTALLY AWESOME PAYOUT EQUAL TO THE COST of 3 STOCK EAGLES WITH A FULL CARGO OF BIOWASTE. IMMERSION BREAKING. Alright... got that out of my system. Moving on.

The screenshots... oh the screenshots...
Elite continues to amaze me with some of the footage of the beautiful stellar forge. Sure... they may be something that might be procedurally generated that sorta kinda looks like everything you can find right next door in the system next to you... but regardless of that, some players have an amazing eye for getting juuuust the right shot. I am still astounded how clever some screenshots are. I have yet to find my golden eye for this. Even some people I know who are CoD worshipers and would never play this game, admit that some screenshots look incredible.

This game will always have a place in my Steam Library...
Regardless of how anyone feels about Elite Dangerous, this game will always have a place in my Steam Library. No ganker, hater, or doom and gloomer will change that. Thank you, Frontier, for making an amazing game that I cherish, and a game that is my home away from home when I'm having a stressful day. Thank you to the community for always pushing the Devs to be better, and ultimately, for interacting and keeping this game alive (whether you realize it or not). It will be a sad day when these servers come to an end, but hopefully, they'll be another game around the horizon where it's servers are even better than this one.

Good points, fair comment for the most part.

I take wing trade missions fairly regularly. They can take a while (I have the time) but I usually do missions for the influence rather than the money & don't have an issue with the payment. I'd be happy for the payment to increase over the regular 1.5-2m but high paying ones do come up pretty often. I'd like to see extended timers on those too, so I can do them over a few days in a smaller ship, or always have one or two on the go.

Massacre missions are a bit silly, yes, and it is a great game. Not too hard (or complex), not too easy (or simple). My favourite ;)

What's the issue with the massacre missions?
Genuine question.

It's 2 part.

1, the missions require normall around 90 ships killed. Not terrible but quite annoying.

2. The faction you want (mission target), RARELY spawns on a consistent basis in normal bounty baiting areas. You will be there for HOURS and barely scratch at the 90 count.

It's 2 part.

1, the missions require normall around 90 ships killed. Not terrible but quite annoying.

2. The faction you want (mission target), RARELY spawns on a consistent basis in normal bounty baiting areas. You will be there for HOURS and barely scratch at the 90 count.

I think you should check these out again.
I'm getting them for 20 to 30 kills, drop into system, scan and it sends me to a location.
Drop into POI, kill 6 to 8 ships (all correct faction).
Jump back to supercruise, gives me another location etc.
Pay is not fantastic but I'm doing them for INF+.
NOT wing missions, I don't touch them.

Note: I'm not sure, but I think if you take multiple assassination or massacre missions to the same system, it may be bugged, ie. one or more may not spawn a location. Still checking this.

Last edited:
I think you should check these out again.
I'm getting them for 20 to 30 kills, drop into system, scan and it sends me to a location.
Drop into POI, kill 6 to 8 ships (all correct faction).
Jump back to supercruise, gives me another location etc.
Pay is not fantastic but I'm doing them for INF+.
NOT wing missions, I don't touch them.

Note: I'm not sure, but I think if you take multiple assassination or massacre missions to the same system, it may be bugged, ie. one or more may not spawn a location. Still checking this.

That sounds more like it :D

I'll give them a go, thanks for the heads up. Well done to FDev too for ticking another box on the to-do list :)

OP. tried to rep, but can't.

Anyway, this sums up how I feel about the game. I complain a lot, but still love it, although I feel it could be much better, and some of the game design decisions disappoint and baffle me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
This game has major design flaws. That being said, I think it is one of the only games that I've ever dedicated 2000 hours of my
Life to.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I've never been so involved with a game community as I have with Elite, no question. I mean by like a mile...:)

giphy.gif

so... happy... must... dance...

From Request Docking to "Docking Successful. Engines Disengaged"...

Despite some hiccups, glitches, salt mines, and overhyped/underrated/broken segments of gameplay and development, Elite Dangerous is still a game that has no rival. Even though some missions and activities have lucratively high credit payouts, horribly poverty-line low payouts, and everywhere in between, Frontier Developments have made a game that is so much more than who can make the most credits or own the most ships. You are a spaceship pilot, and the galaxy is yours to not conquer. Ha, seems silly, but I value not being the hero of the story for once. While many players think high and mighty of their PvP skills, one wrong move around a neutron star renders them mortal. That's not a bash at PvP (I really like consensual pews). I don't think I can think of any other multiplayer game where pure skill is a huge chunk of whether you are the victor, or an insurance fraud victim. This game is skill, on skill, on skill. How long did it take you get the landing down to under 30 seconds from Request Docking to "Docking Successful. Engines Disengaged"? That's a skill you learned right from the beginning. It took me so long to build up the courage to not wait for the System Security to engage those pirates on my own. Oh yeah, I died quite a few times. But I LEARNED. No, not learning to button mash in a certain order, either. That's not kill, that's memorizing. I'm talking about learning how to use your FA effectively, how to actually aim your fixed weapons and shoot the canister of Liquor off the nose of an Adder. Learning each aspect of this game felt so rewarding. Even knowing how to mine efficiently is a skill! There's no "lucky shots" here. Though, I haven't seen any "360 no scope" videos yet...

30 seconds from request (assuming 7.5km) to landing in 30 seconds. Well I can manage 45 seconds. I suspect the fact I slow down to 100m/s at the entry to the corriollis may ossibly explain the difference.
I is giving you a speeding ticket!

Simon

On the community front, Elite is definetly very good but nowhere near the undisputed king of space games

EVE Online

EVE Online is practically 100% community driven. You can play the game solo but unlike Elite, its value diminishes fast if you do so. Of course EVE Online is nowhere near to player content as the community assume since the game is surprisingly extremely limited to customisations, something that all MMORGS suffer from because modding has become for some reason a taboo among game devs.

My biggest beef with Elite was that I got the game to do mainly exploration and yet it was by far the most boring and least rewarding (suprisingly for a game that went to so great extend to simulate the Milky g Way) experience in the game. It seems however that exploration is about to get the overhaul it so desperately needed from being absolute crap to becoming good enough , stealing a few recipes from EVE Online's exploration which is still hands down the best exploration mode in a space game I have played.

Other than that with minor annoyances at BGS (@#$) and PP (much bigger @#$ ) the game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

It's hands down , no questions asked the best game in my book. Took the crown from Riven and it was a crown almost impossible to get. Like Riven sound design and music remain the No 1 thing that make the game stand out, then its artistic direction and finally of course ship simulation that is hands down the best spaceship simulator I have played. EVE Online ship simulation , a game based on ship to ship interaction, is a piece of crap, the cherry on the cake is the first person camera mode that almost none is using because it shows first person how crap is the handling of ships.

Elite ships , don't just fly or glide, they dance in space like butterflies.

Elite is also probably the second scariest game I have ever played after AVP back in 2000. Unlike AVP the goal of the game is not to make you crap your pants but none the less there is so much realism in this game and atmosphere that when rarely something bad happens its very scary cause it feels so real. My recent experience was on my route from bubble to Colonia, two thirds of the way I was capture mid jump from a black hole, very scary because it was confusing to find which direction the hole was cause it was distorting everything around me and I had to resort to targeting it manually and using the sensors to make sure it does not suck me inside and make my 7 hour journey that far, pointless. The experience was 10 times scarier than meeting Alien in Alien: Isolation. Although not as scary as AVP, AVP made me have nightmares of being Alien and burning to death by Marines. You know a game is super scary when being the Alien is more scary than being the pathetic human prey.

So Elite for me is definetly a 9/10 and FD deservers all the praise it can get. I am on my way to 2000 hours of play time and for me that a very big achievement considering how easily I get bored with anything in my life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom