General / Off-Topic Alan Turing is the new face of the £50 note

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
skynews-alan-turing_4718790.jpg

Brilliant news.

Link

Finally.
A very tragic hero.
Did he not commit suicide by eating a poisoned apple because he was concerned about being outted? My heart breaks whenever I hear things like this.

If indeed the above is true, it is a truly horrible waste of genius and creativity due to ignorance and intolerance. I pray it never ever happens again.

I know, I am being naive....

o7

Finally.
A very tragic hero.
Did he not commit suicide by eating a poisoned apple because he was concerned about being outted? My heart breaks whenever I hear things like this.

If indeed the above is true, it is a truly horrible waste of genius and creativity due to ignorance and intolerance. I pray it never ever happens again.

I know, I am being naive....

o7

He was already outed, forced to plead guilty to gross indecency, chemically castrated, and had the security clearances that he needed for government work revoked. They pretty much destroyed him.

Still some controversy over wether his death was intentional or accidental, but I think suicide is the more popular explanation.

The man who saved and made modern civilisation was horribly treated during his life. This is fitting gesture, a small gesture considering what he did for the world.

RIP Mr Turing...

Definitely a small gesture, and probably the most fitting gesture one could expect, given that respecting people while they live is often still too much to ask.

Has anyone deciphered that binary code yet?

It's his birth date, apparently.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
There is a code on the banner.

1010111111110010110011000 is 23061912 in decimal. Alan Turing was born on the 23rd June 1912.

(not me who spotted it)

Just realised @Morbad beat me to it.

I will just point out that Bletchley Park is well worth a visit. It’s also home to the National Museum Of Computing, to which I donated a few items of equipment (including an Acorn Atom with what I now realise was a prototype 5.25” disk drive).

Top Bottom