It's in the spoilerWhat was the wrong date? Didn't see what you'd posted as could only see the YT chat.
I remember that quote by MB. But it was another frustration- he told us the use of UA Morse Code was deliberate, but two years later we still don‘t know WHY, and what’s worse we don’t appear to have a means of finding out.Interesting, one of the few posts from MB that I didn't remember! Thanks for pointing it out
Good spot! Yeah will be interesting to see what date it comes out with.It's in the spoiler
The "Human-Thargoid contact" page places INRA founding in 3193, while the "Vulnerabilities" page places the mycoid, created by INRA, in 3151. Back to the future, or typo Considering that the Mycoid date was already fixed from 3250 to 3151, I'm pretty sure it's a typo in the "Human-Thargoid contact" article. I'm curious of seeing if the typo is 3093 or 3123.
It's indeed extremely frustrating that despite having a constant source of thargoid bits and scraps, and AEGIS supposedly continuously studying them, we still have just what's in the codex (mainly based on INRA bases apparently). From another perspective, tho, at least now we have what's in the codexI remember that quote by MB. But it was another frustration- he told us the use of UA Morse Code was deliberate, but two years later we still don‘t know WHY, and what’s worse we don’t appear to have a means of finding out.
Indeed, it seems the image is gone after an hard-refresh, I'll fix that.Good spot! Yeah will be interesting to see what date it comes out with.
Not sure what's going on with the spoiler btw - I did check it but there's nothing in it (well it's that way for me anyway, not sure if it's the same for anyone else).
With regard to the TS's use of morse code, see this:
Btw Toxic waste could be something else to try Considering that toxic waste could be anything from the whey from making greek yogurt, or just poo, to radioactive byproducts from metal refining why on earth does this keep getting mentioned? It's the most non-specific product sold in the markets.forums.frontier.co.uk
Edit - the link preview on my screen is showing something about toxic waste. No idea why. The link itself works though!
Yup. MB is on-record saying the use of Morse and the pointing are both deliberate and for a reason.Interesting, one of the few posts from MB that I didn't remember! Thanks for pointing it out
Yeah, I remembered the pointing one but not the one about morse code So many years passed since there were actual in-game mysteries that memories are beginning to fade
Been thinking about it off and on for a while. Everything is flawed one way or another though.
Cheers! And yeah, I knew what the new behaviour was, it was the old behaviour I was double checking.Nope.
It now emits a morse-encoded wireframe image of your ship.
The old behaviour was to emit the name of the nearest celestial object, whether that was a station, star, planet etc.
Correct. As far as anyone knows, UA/TS have no concept of where they were picked up from (or any item, for that matter). If they did, with my coder hat on, it would be impossible to determine which was which if you held multiple, as they stack in your inventory.So, final check, is the A/B bit correct? I.E. a UA always went off it’s ‘current’ location (as opposed to where it was found)?
Thanks again!Correct. As far as anyone knows, UA/TS have no concept of where they were picked up from. If they did, at with my coder hat on, it would be impossible to determine which was which if you held multiple, as they stack in your inventory.
Honestly, I'm not sure.... in the early days I had a lot of theories, but I don't think they're relevant anymore. Just to throw some out there.Thanks again!
And yeah, good point on the coding side of things!
What’s the thoughts on that particular interpretation of Jacques’ message?
Well, the use of morse code could be either:Honestly, I'm not sure.... in the early days I had a lot of theories, but I don't think they're relevant anymore. Just to throw some out there.
So, some of them overlap a bit with your comment about the Jacques thing... since those galnet articles are no longer in the game and any involvement of UA's with his misjump aren't even mentioned in the codex leads me to believe it was a potential story arc FD ditched... which is kinda sad :/
- The UA was basically a "compass", but at some "halfway distance" point in the galaxy, it would change from pointing to Merope, to pointing somewhere else. That was my RP story behind loading up Jacques with UAs,, to try and get some to Beagle Point and see if they pointed somewhere else. I've taken a UA to Colonia...still points to Merope though.
- The UA was the key to unlocking a locked system or region such as Polaris or Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 (@Jorki Rasalas , between the pointing to Merope, how about the TP/TL triangulation off that system? What's special about it besides being locked?). I thought maybe if you locked one of these systems and dumped the UA, the noise would "call" a Thargoid and you could follow it's wake through to one of these locked systems (after all, it's basically the Pilots Federation who prevent our ships from locking onto these target systems, right? So what better way to get to one than by following an alien trail)
- The UA emitted the names of locations... but you might just drop one at a particular body, and instead of emitting the name, it'd emit RAXXLA. But it doesn't do that anymore (except if you're landed on a planet in an SRV with no ships around, iirc)
- The UAs were Thargoids, or Thargoid Eggs, or Thargoid Consciousness. Long shot, but might explain some things, especially the "screech" on exploding.
- Just having a UA/UP would allow jumping into some permit-locked systems.
Given the Dream Journal entries... which are:In other news, the investigation into technician Gan Romero has been suspended, with Fort Dixon investigators exhausting all known leads. The stolen ship’s owner has speculated whether his exploration vessel was selected for a reason, given Romero’s dream journal entries.
And the ship's owner, Bjorn Lennox.“Our analysts have recovered a few fragments of these recordings, which appear to have been part of a dream journal. In them, Romero makes repeated mention of seeing ‘an area of space, not black but radiant…glowing like heaven,’ and being called by ‘voices that didn’t come from anything with a body’.”
While I have high hopes for this storyline, for me the:It reads like it's trying to tell us what all the clues are to think about... but on the same token there's barely anything to go on. Maybe "didn't come from anything with a body" is quite literal, and we're looking for star-only systems, but still...
is a quite definitive way of saying "there's nothing to find (yet)"[...] we have no leads and have exhausted all avenues of inquiry. Attempts to track down the stolen ship have returned empty-handed. Until more evidence surfaces, we must reluctantly abandon our efforts.