Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

Disclaimer: this is not my discovery. All credit goes fo CMDRs MisterBowwow and Gluttony Fang, and the AXI.

For any of you who are not in the AXI discord, an amazing discovery was made recently.

The Octahedral Pods in the Empyrian Straits region were discovered to release a green gas cloud which inflicts caustic damage upon shieldless ships in their vicinity.

This discovery, coupled with the pods’ physical appearance, and that of the Gyre trees has led some to conclude—I think quite reasonably!—that the thargoids assimilate life forms throughout the galaxy for their favorable characteristics (I.e., the gyre tree’s structure for their interceptor exoskeleton, and the caustic green gas produced and emitted by the Octahedral pods).

I’m very curious to see what you all think of these discoveries. Exciting times!
2870CF22-6F91-46C6-B279-EA0A53F76A7A.png6802724D-4759-4D11-BD89-F8A845E259FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Disclaimer: this is not my discovery. All credit goes fo CMDRs MisterBowwow and Gluttony Fang, and the AXI.

For any of you who are not in the AXI discord, an amazing discovery was made recently.

The Octahedral Pods in the Empyrian Straits region were discovered to release a green gas cloud which inflicts caustic damage upon shieldless ships in their vicinity.

This discovery, coupled with the pods’ physical appearance, and that of the Gyre trees has led some to conclude—I think quite reasonably!—that the thargoids assimilate life forms throughout the galaxy for their favorable characteristics (I.e., the gyre tree’s structure for their interceptor exoskeleton, and the caustic green gas produced and emitted by the Octahedral pods).

I’m very curious to see what you all think of these discoveries. Exciting times!
Thanks for posting this in here, cmdr!

Personally, I’ve suspected since the 3.3 Beta, that it would turn out that at least some of the space based biologicals would turn out to be the basis for parts of Thargoid biotech. We already know that the Barnacles were bioengineered by the Thatgoids from another lifeform. It’s always been likely that we might find out what that lifeform was, and that other Thargoid biotech has similar origins.

Having said all that, I would still have to say that it should all still be very much considered hypothesis (albeit a probable one), and not a firm conclusion.

Probably true. Thargoid technology is bio engineered from the most suitable life form available. FD told that this was the case for the barnacles.

I think it's stated in one of the books, probably 'Out of the Darknes', that they evolve their tech, more than develop it.

This makes them slow to adapt, but they have a few million years head start on us. :D

On a recent weekend furlough from DW2 I popped over to Colonia and saw viride molluscs for the first time. Was struck by the goid-like appearance of their skin and their sound which reminded me of the UA moan.

I agree, a lot of this alien life is likely to be used by thargoids.

And Thargoids are kidnaping humans! We see lots of NHSS where interceptors are scooping escape pods. Also several logs in abandoned bases report abductions by the Thargoids.
Are we going to see in the future some sort of human hybrid thargoids?

And Thargoids are kidnaping humans! We see lots of NHSS where interceptors are scooping escape pods. Also several logs in abandoned bases report abductions by the Thargoids.

I imagine they are using captured human specimens for offensive purposes. Hopefully they will not discover the mutability of human DNA exposed to radiation.

Imagine an EMP wave that instantly sublimates nucleic acids.

Now that's a creepy thought! :eek:

They will also scoop slaves, Imp. slaves, political prisoners and master chefs. Probably all cargo with humans inside.

I can only imagine what kind of tests these poor souls trapped in rescue pods must have endured...

"How does that lifeform fares naked in space?"

"Hum, let's try to get the next one very comfy on one of our Amonia-based home"

I'm still thinking being just food is a better fate ;)

This is the most exciting thing to happen in this thread for quite a while!

Also covered in a Sagittarius Eye breaking news story: New alien life discovered - Niveum Octahedral Pods

Last edited:
Recently checked out the Thargoid star map machine for the first time, very cool, wish I had done this sooner. Afterward, just poking around a few systems, I stumbled on another planet with my FSS in system HIP 22711, planet 7a. It shows in the FSS as a Guardian site. Dropping in to check it out, I saw it was actually a Thargoid surface site, an active one. So curious me, I looked up the wiki and found a Canonn spreadsheet of recorded systems,
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Gp9F1m-ZI8cOnTZRPhdd-PQFLkHikTNX-KqyiQMj-0/edit#gid=0
Hip 22711 wasn't there. But the claim was that ALL of them were recorded. I can only assume that a LOT of work went into this and the signals were followed up with the utmost diligence.

I was not the first to discover this site. Later I found what I assume is a more recent spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...N0-mnS6BFqhe4va648J1wwnag/edit#gid=1625079279
HIP 22711 is there now, the only system with a discovered by entry.

Which makes me wonder if this a newly discovered system since the signal research concluded? Is the fact that it shows as a Guardian site in the FSS of any significance or simply just some kind of labeling error?
I'm not very keen on flying around to 200+ sites to see if any others show up like this, more just curious if anyone has noticed this at any of the other sites? The few that I have checked properly display as Thargoid when scanned in the FSS.

I suspect an alien takeover of Galnet. A few days ago it changed into a strange, uninformative, glossy format,
this morning it’s in Spanish...:rolleyes:

Recently checked out the Thargoid star map machine for the first time, very cool, wish I had done this sooner. Afterward, just poking around a few systems, I stumbled on another planet with my FSS in system HIP 22711, planet 7a. It shows in the FSS as a Guardian site. Dropping in to check it out, I saw it was actually a Thargoid surface site, an active one. So curious me, I looked up the wiki and found a Canonn spreadsheet of recorded systems,
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Gp9F1m-ZI8cOnTZRPhdd-PQFLkHikTNX-KqyiQMj-0/edit#gid=0
Hip 22711 wasn't there. But the claim was that ALL of them were recorded. I can only assume that a LOT of work went into this and the signals were followed up with the utmost diligence.

I was not the first to discover this site. Later I found what I assume is a more recent spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...N0-mnS6BFqhe4va648J1wwnag/edit#gid=1625079279

Which makes me wonder if this a newly discovered system since the signal research concluded? Is the fact that it shows as a Guardian site in the FSS of any significance or simply just some kind of labeling error?
I'm not very keen on flying around to 200+ sites to see if any others show up like this, more just curious if anyone has noticed this at any of the other sites? The few that I have checked properly display as Thargoid when scanned in the FSS.

Sounds like you’ve found a site discovered after Beyond chapter 4 release.
there is currently a bug with the reported allegiance of systems- the INRA base at 12 Trianguli was showing as Guardian when I visited it post-chapter 4, so not surprised if this is also affecting goid sites.

Which makes me wonder if this a newly discovered system since the signal research concluded? Is the fact that it shows as a Guardian site in the FSS of any significance or simply just some kind of labelling error?

HIP 22711 was discovered by Thepirateorc on the 19/12/2018, yes that 2nd google doc is more upto date, although it's still missing the Outotz system Thargoid Structure.
I don't know where you came across that 1st doc?

And yea I've come across other TSs labelled as Guardian, it's a known bug.
Btw, if you're interested in finding more TSs, check out my thread linked in my sig.

Last edited:
<Nods>

I have offered, btw.

Cheers,

Drew.
The stuff you did Drew is what made me purchase the game. The whole Formadine mystery and the potential to find something unique. Now all we have is set game-play and grind.

Whose running this gin joint as the dev's don't have a Danny La Rue!

I've got a couple of short stories I'd love to write and share, set in the EDverse. There's so much potential for some epic storytelling in this game. But its become clear (to me anyway) that the Thargoids are just advanced content for combat players, nothing more. There's no mystery to unlock, no scientific process to communicate with them, and they have no agenda apart from attacking aliens inhabiting their anthillls.

What a waste.

Take for example the Thargoid lightshow/starmap. I did a thread pointing out that the light-show and the related starmap led to nothing. Nothing was revealed by the starmap. Nothing. Take the starmap out of the game and its absence affects nothing about the Thargoids. How depressing is that?

Last edited:
My clone Tyko was just trundling along on the way to do some min8ng to befriend Selene Jean, scanned a system and found abandoned generation ship Thetis. I know it was first found a while ago, but first time here for me. Did anybody search for the system “about 15 ly back” according to the log where it was supposedly infected by a killer computer virus. Sounds like some hostile AI to me; just wondering if anyone went searching. 15ly ain’t far.

Top Bottom