Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

If there is, then I'm not confident it isn't bugged atm...

We know "Anomaly Particles" are in the game:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/what-does-liz-beta-ryder-know-that-eddb-doesnt-yet.458915/

... so we know it should be possible to obtain them somehow. They don't allow a Research Limpet to be fired at it, but they show up as being "scoopable" when you open you cargo hatch per my video, but don't appear to be scoopable. I'd say it was me doing it wrong, but Molluscs also appear scoopable and are far less "volatile", and I know i'm getting them right, but they just bounce off an open cargo hatch. Molluscs as well allow Research Limpets to be fired at them (can only be done for valid targets), but they always fail.

I bugreported these, but of course, they've gone to the ether since we went to the new forums/support tool... haven't had the energy to re-report, and given it's only the "hot" bugs which affect people's ability to grind out billions that is impacted, I'm not convinced this would even get a look in.

Given the situation we had with the Guardian ruins originally, where the open/PG bug caused different obelisks to light up... at the time we were all convinced there was some "trick" to making other obelisks light up... but turns out it was just a bug and that was never meant to happen. In the case of the Molluscs/Anomalies appearing scoopable, I'm just not prepared to invest that much investigative effort when it could all just be a bug and you aren't meant to scoop or sample these things. Alternately, maybe you are meant to, and they may be the key to unlocking some other secrets, and FD are sitting here wondering why nobody has discovered these things yet, because the bugs never get a look-in.
Ah, I see.
Yes, perhaps you need to re-raise the bug report under the new forum.

Or perhaps Jasmina Halsey’s “real caretakers of the galaxy” again?

Edit: come to think of it they might be one & the same!

Edit2: and I’ve been musing that since the Thargoids appear to absorb any life they find into their technology, then perhaps the fireflies in the UA/TS and barnacles are a similarly-absorbed lifeform; one that exists partially in witchspace (the double vision effects they exhibit are the same as seen on fsd operation).
Personally I think that the accident it self was sabotage, by Black Flight or similar. It's likely that Halsey were going to Azaleach to have a meeting about the newly discovered, unknown Artefact. This might have been Mahoon, but it's also possible that the hole thing was a Club trap.

The Architects/Caretakers showed up later, when Halsey was floating around in the escape pod. I suspect that they are plasma based as MB hinted to this, later in summer of 2015:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/is-vacuum-based-life-possible.176750/#post-2723790

Plasma based life would be consistent with "tiny yet gargantuan, fleeting yet eternal" and "‘voices that didn’t come from anything with a body".

It's difficult to say if the Caretakers are connected to any known entities in ED. Raxxlans may have evolved beyond a physical(solid) body and Guardian Constructs may have adapted to a plasma form. These could eve be the same thing.
There's definite parallels with what Halsey saw.

Also, not sure whether everyone's read the Human-Guardian bit of the codex or not, but what it describes in there in terms of how we found the Guardian ruins isn't quite what really happened.

What it describes is Halsey's visions being what lead people to look at that area of space, only to find ruins rather than the paradise planets Halsey was describing.

It's not completely clear whether that was just a way to retcon something done via a trailer into some kind of form that works in the game universe or whether it represents what FD had planned for how we would find the Guardian ruins. It's not unreasonable to assume the latter though IMHO. (I did ask for clarification from FD back in the 3.3 beta, but didn't get any.)

There's definite parallels with what Halsey saw.

Also, not sure whether everyone's read the Human-Guardian bit of the codex or not, but what it describes in there in terms of how we found the Guardian ruins isn't quite what really happened.

What it describes is Halsey's visions being what lead people to look at that area of space, only to find ruins rather than the paradise planets Halsey was describing.

It's not completely clear whether that was just a way to retcon something done via a trailer into some kind of form that works in the game universe or whether it represents what FD had planned for how we would find the Guardian ruins. It's not unreasonable to assume the latter though IMHO. (I did ask for clarification from FD back in the 3.3 beta, but didn't get any.)

Think the wiki says something about the guardian ruins being found through analysis of the Starship One wreckage data. Hadn’t realised that Halsey’s visions were of the guardian civilisation at their height. Makes sense if the “caretakers” are the AI who experienced that & survived.

Think the wiki says something about the guardian ruins being found through analysis of the Starship One wreckage data. Hadn’t realised that Halsey’s visions were of the guardian civilisation at their height. Makes sense if the “caretakers” are the AI who experienced that & survived.
Here's what the Codex says, cutting to the point of Halsey being in an escape pod...

"During this period of stasis, Halsey believed she was visited by trans-dimensional beings of extraordinary intelligence and compassion. Later, when she was rescued and revived, she was left with the conviction that this experience had been real, and not merely a hallucination.

Halsey proceeded to experience visions of mysterious alien worlds and cities - dense metropolises full of activity and life. She shared these visions with the rest of humanity, prompting explorers to set off in search of these undiscovered planets. This led to the discovery of the first Guardian ruins, in the Synuefe XR-H d11-102 system. The fact that these sites were devoid of life led to speculation that Halsey had seen the Guardian worlds not as they are, but as they had been."

There's another paragraph about what happened subsequently, but the important stuff in this context is the above.

Errr..

What?

99% confident that the discovery of the first Guardian Ruins had nothing to do with Halsey's visions, and everything to do with (that player whose name I forget) using the trailer to triangulate it's location.

That's true, but from a lore perspective the ruins were discovered by the NPC in the trailer. The players that recognized the system from the sky box, were using the 'leaked' transmission from the original discoverers.

That's true, but from a lore perspective the ruins were discovered by the NPC in the trailer. The players that recognized the system from the sky box, were using the 'leaked' transmission from the original discoverers.
Touche :)

Still... the whole halsey thing feels quite.... retcon?

It might have been the idea from the start and now they use the Codex to patch some poor story telling. ;)
... and this is why I'm so loathe to read into anything in Galnet or, well, anything these days. Maybe Halsey really was the way we were meant to find the Guardian ruins... except a Commander got in first, just like how Jacques was found before we found the hints to his location.

Maybe TS pointing to Merope really was just to hint at where Thargoids would eventually first start appearing. Maybe TP pointing at 5C really was just because that was somewhere we could find barnacles. Maybe the "map" that appears in the Thargoid Structure is just meant to be a hint that the data we get from it will direct us to other sites, nothing more.

Errr..

What?

99% confident that the discovery of the first Guardian Ruins had nothing to do with Halsey's visions, and everything to do with (that player whose name I forget) using the trailer to triangulate it's location.
It was xdeath. (Though I went back through it all recently and replicated it, and there were loads trying in the same area, and xdeath was the one that found the right system and then planet.)

But anyway, that’s the point I was making, what the Codex says happened isn’t what happened. And it’s not clear if it’s a pure retcon or if it represents what FD had lined up for how we (the playerbase) would find the ruins.

I’ve not looked for a citation, but remember from around the time that FD had said they did have something lined up for how we would find the sites but that it was rendered redundant when the sites were found from the trailer, which they hadn’t anticipated. There was some talk about it being repurposed but I don’t think we ever found out directly what it had been at the time.

Touche :)

Still... the whole halsey thing feels quite.... retcon?
I agree that it feels a bit retcon and it is in a sense, but I’m not sure it’s a complete retcon - ever since we got the complete set of logs from the first Ram Tah mission, I’ve said that the only thing that we’ve heard of or come across that’s a match for what became of the Guardians Exiles is the beings Halsey described encountering. The only things that’s changed since then is that it’s also the only thing so far that’s a match for what became of the Guardian AIs.

Though on that front, I still think that the most likely scenario is a reunion of the AIs and Exiles, and full achievement of the biological/technological singularity that they’d been part of on a comparatively small scale prior to the exile. (I’m digressing slightly from the main point here though! 🙂)

Last edited:
@Jmanis , @Jorki Rasalas , @Han_Zen , you fellas seen the newsletter? Interesting little snippet in there with pertinence to the current discussion!
Ship Thief Linked to Halsey’s Visions
Commentators have linked ship thief Gan Romero’s dream journal with the statements given by Jasmina Halsey following the disappearance of Starship One. The Rewired network claimed these ‘bodiless voices’ had disregarded the relative standing of these two individuals, and questioned how many others had experienced similar calls.

@Jmanis , @Jorki Rasalas , @Han_Zen , you fellas seen the newsletter? Interesting little snippet in there with pertinence to the current discussion!
Commentators have linked ship thief Gan Romero’s dream journal with the statements given by Jasmina Halsey following the disappearance of Starship One. The Rewired network claimed these ‘bodiless voices’ had disregarded the relative standing of these two individuals, and questioned how many others had experienced similar calls.

Yes, I did see it. Bit puzzled where this has come from-haven’t seen it in the daily galnet posts. But interesting that it supports our hypotheses. Who/what/where is this “Rewired Network”?

Yes, I did see it. Bit puzzled where this has come from-haven’t seen it in the daily galnet posts. But interesting that it supports our hypotheses. Who/what/where is this “Rewired Network”?
This is really exciting! So it seems to be a real hint (by FDev) and it is proof that they are reading us! And behind this hint lies---new content?

ETA Carina is the location (Known as Heavens Altar and many other names deemed heavenly by humanity second brightest nebula we can see which fits the galnet), Theres more ruins out there than just the 4 listed on the galaxy map, also further out in NGC 3199 keyhole nebula there is two guardian ruins on the map im sure more to be found which will eventually lead us to the permit locked ngc 3603 zone towards dryman point......I keep saying it yet gets ignored time and time again yet it keeps falling in place time and time again.... Im out on route to ETA Carina at the moment but lack of time is catching up on playtime.

Last edited:
Might just be that it's a newsletter sent out on a Friday with something that's going to be an automatic Galnet post over the weekend. Could be a Galnet post that was due to go out that hasn't. Maybe it's just a reflection of the type of specultion we're having that's being pushed out to a wider audience!

I wonder why I don't get the newsletter anymore...

Top Bottom