Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

Just to co-locate all this in one spot for now... All the stuff about the disappearing DBX since it first went missing:
Ship Stolen from Starport
25 APR 3305
An independent pilot’s ship has been stolen from a starport hangar in the Vega system.

The ship’s owner, Commander Bjorn Lennox, told Vox Galactica:

“I’d docked my Diamondback Explorer at Fort Dixon for some routine maintenance, and to enjoy a short break following a deep space exploration voyage. When I went back to the landing pad I discovered the hangar was empty and my ship had gone missing!”

The starport issued a statement from Security Chief Misaki Sanders:

“We are at a loss to explain how the thief managed to hijack our security network, gain entry to a docked and sealed ship, and override authorisation checks to fly out of the station unchallenged.”

“Nearby systems have been alerted and we are collecting leads to track down the stolen vessel. In the meantime, we are conducting an inquiry into how these breaches of docking bay protocols could have occurred.”

Docked Ship Thief Identified
03 MAY 3305
The individual responsible for stealing a docked Diamondback Explorer in the Vega system has been identified.

Fort Dixon Security Chief, Misaki Sanders, told the media:

“We have determined that Commander Bjorn Lennox’s vessel was stolen by a starship technician, who evidently acted alone without backup.”

“The technician, Gan Romero, has worked at Fort Dixon as a member of the hanger service teams for the past eleven years. He has a stable home life on the station with a wife and three children, with no criminal record.”

“Although Romero’s job gave him access to landing pads, it does not explain his ability to bypass ship security protocols or launch without authorisation. We have yet to determine his motive or destination.”

“The scope of our investigation is widening and we hope to know more soon.”

Week in Review
In other news, the thief of a ship stolen from a starport hangar in the Vega system has been named as Gan Romero. Security reports indicate Romero has no prior criminal record and is believed to have acted alone. The search for his motive and current location continues.

Ship Theft Mystery Deepens
11 MAY 3305
Mystery continues to surround Gan Romero, the starship technician who single-handedly stole a docked vessel in the Vega system.

Romero’s wife, Lara, agreed to an interview with Vox Galactica:

“I haven’t the faintest idea why Gan took that ship, or how he managed it. It’s totally out of character for him. He’s not impulsive or even ambitious really. Always been the practical type, which is why I married him. I can’t believe that he would do anything like this.”

“Had he been acting strangely? Well, something was on Gan’s mind…I guess you could say he’s been distracted recently. I’ve caught him staring out into space a few times. And his sleep was disturbed by intense dreams, although he never wanted to talk about them.”

“The kids keep asking when their dad is coming home. I just hope the Fort Dixon security services can find some explanation for all this, and bring Gan home to us.”

Week in Review
In other news, the wife of ship thief Gan Romero has given an interview to Vox Galactica. Lara Romero stated that she had no idea why her husband would steal a docked craft. She also indicated that Gan’s sleep had been disturbed by vivid dreams prior to the theft.

Ship Thief’s Personal Log Discovered
17 MAY 3305
A journal maintained by Gan Romero, the technician responsible for stealing a docked vessel from a starport hangar, has been discovered.

Security Chief Misaki Sanders gave this statement from Fort Dixon:

“We have thoroughly investigated Romero’s background to establish a motive for the theft and how it was accomplished. Our only lead is a series of encrypted voice logs that he deleted shortly before the hijack.”

“Our analysts have recovered a few fragments of these recordings, which appear to have been part of a dream journal. In them, Romero makes repeated mention of seeing ‘an area of space, not black but radiant…glowing like heaven,’ and being called by ‘voices that didn’t come from anything with a body’.”

“Medical experts have proposed that Romero’s recordings, along with his recent distracted behaviour, may be symptoms of an undiagnosed dissociative disorder. If true, Romero was likely acting upon dream delusions when he stole the ship. At present, our investigation has not yielded anything more substantial.”
Week in Review
And finally, a dream journal maintained by Gan Romero has been discovered by investigators. Romero, the technician responsible for stealing a docked craft from the Vega system, recorded a number of entries prior to the theft suggesting that vivid dream delusions may have played a role.

Ship Thief Linked to Halsey’s Visions
25 MAY 3305
There has been much speculation about starship technician Gan Romero, whose dreams are believed to have directed him to steal a ship from a starport hangar.

On the Rewired network, independent journalist Flint ‘Firemaker’ Lafosse offered this analysis:

“Romero’s dream journal entries were very similar to Jasmina Halsey’s visions after the Starship One incident three years ago. Was this lowly grease monkey in touch with the same ‘caretakers of our galaxy’ that Halsey claims spoke to her?”

“Sure, it could be coincidence. Maybe even a shared psychological disorder. But it seems possible that Halsey and Romero were telepathically contacted by the same incorporeal intelligence.”

“You can see why they might want to talk to a Federal president. But a starport technician? What’s so special about Romero? If he’s telling the truth then who knows how many more ordinary people have heard these summons from ‘bodiless voices’ over the years?”

Ship Thief Mystery Remains Unsolved
The investigation into technician Gan Romero, who stole a docked vessel from a hangar bay at Fort Dixon in the Vega system, has been officially suspended.

Security Chief Misaki Sanders made this statement:

“Apart from the remains of Romero’s dream journal, we have no leads and have exhausted all avenues of inquiry. Attempts to track down the stolen ship have returned empty-handed. Until more evidence surfaces, we must reluctantly abandon our efforts.”

Commander Bjorn Lennox, the owner of the stolen ship, commented:

“Obviously I’m not happy about losing my Diamondback Explorer, and I’ve had to fight for the station’s insurance to cover my losses. Still, part of me wonders if my ship was stolen for a reason… It was fitted for exploration with a high jump range, and it sounds like this guy was heading somewhere really far away.”

“They said Romero was delusional, right? Well, maybe he was just invited to a place that most people can’t understand. I guess we’ll never know.”

Only things I can discern from that is it was stolen from Vega, Fort Dixon, and taken to ‘an area of space, not black but radiant…glowing like heaven,’... in a ship with a high jump range to go "really far away"... nothing much to go on.

Last edited:
I read in the codex that the Thargoids are a hive mind, what if the visions received by Halsey and the ship thief are attempts by a Thargoid Queen to test mind control on humans?.

Who ever will find Romero in his ship - PLEASE don't shoot at him! But follow him only! It would be a tragedy if some absentminded pvp pilot would repeat the same damned mistake as with Salomé.

So some tin-foil hattery with the stolen ship the story:
The reporting officers name is Misaki which is also the name for spirits subordinate to the high-ranking divine spirits, and are said to be the small-scale divine spirits that appear as omens or to serve as their familiar spirits.

The culprit's name is Gan which is an acronym for Generative Adversarial Network, which uses 2 competing neural networks. A couple of the things it's used for are improving astronomical images. reconstructing 3D models of objects from images, and transfering map styles in Cartography.

Very interesting, thanks for this. My guess is that this is Guardian related, as with Halsey and Starship One. Given the Guardians' story involved two competing AIs, the Civilian and Military Constructs, this could well be a hint as to who is involved. If I remember correctly, before their destruction by these AIs, the Guardians themselves split into two groups, the Traditionalists and the Exiles, giving four possibilities. However, given the timespan of a few million years since these events took place, my money is on the AIs surviving and not the Guardians themselves.

I thought the advent of wearable computers etc as mentioned in galnet and the Utopian (?) pursuit of a database of all knowledge was reminiscent of humanity potentially making the same mistake as the guardians did with their AI. FD making a moral point!

Maybe I expect too much from ED, but I assumed if there is a storyline here then we should be able to participate with it, not just watch it unfold before us. 🧐

Sorry I'm going backwards through posts... ;)

Completely agree. I'm sure that the point of offering visions of a civilisation in its age of glory (Guardian homeworld? Raxxla? Maybe even the same thing?) is to warn humanity not to repeat their mistakes, as we start to take the same steps. Classic sci fi business hehe.

Also worth noting that the Federation talked about creating AI defences to defeat the Thargoids called The Bulwark Project, another potential step to disaster... https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/5a859fd09dd29d74a968382e

Very interesting, thanks for this. My guess is that this is Guardian related, as with Halsey and Starship One. Given the Guardians' story involved two competing AIs, the Civilian and Military Constructs, this could well be a hint as to who is involved. If I remember correctly, before their destruction by these AIs, the Guardians themselves split into two groups, the Traditionalists and the Exiles, giving four possibilities. However, given the timespan of a few million years since these events took place, my money is on the AIs surviving and not the Guardians themselves.
Agree! My money is also on the AIs. Furthermore, I suggest that this surprising new bridgehead in ancient Guardian space is an attempt to arm humanity in a more rapid scale - someone knows that something/someone is knocking at our doors soon - and don't tell us.

Agree! My money is also on the AIs. Furthermore, I suggest that this surprising new bridgehead in ancient Guardian space is an attempt to arm humanity in a more rapid scale - someone knows that something/someone is knocking at our doors soon - and don't tell us.

I think there's a twist in the tale. The Club's original mission was to provide a contingency against humanity's destruction, because they knew the Thargoids were coming and it was their belief that they could not be defeated, and the bubble could not be saved. The aim is noble, but the methods are...unsound ;)

However, the Guardians did find a technological solution to defeat the Thargs. But ironically, the necessary changes to their civilisation destabilised it and meant they ultimately destroyed themselves instead.

So if we wish to learn from this, then we must find a way to defeat the Thargoids that doesn't go down the same path. I think it's best we take the hints :p

Last edited:
[snip]
The Club's original mission was to provide a contingency against humanity's destruction, because they knew the Thargoids were coming and it was their belief that they could not be defeated, and the bubble could not be saved.
[snip]
Sorry, but I believe in more what the CoR are trying to reveal for us:
Quote from "Exposure of the Club ":
"
The Club are planning to cause a mass extinction event by using the advancing Klaxian fleet. They will develop weapons based upon Guardian and Thargoid technology to give us the illusion of being able to win. The Club will take their selected personnel to the Dynasty locations while we are left to hold up the Klaxian advance. We cannot win.

We must remove control from The Club / The Pilots Federation / The Cabal / The EFP / CIEP, and all of their various machinations. We are the Children of Raxxla. We Remember.

CoR Research Dept. 3304."

Remember!

Sorry, but I believe in more what the CoR are trying to reveal for us:
Quote from "Exposure of the Club ":
"
The Club are planning to cause a mass extinction event by using the advancing Klaxian fleet. They will develop weapons based upon Guardian and Thargoid technology to give us the illusion of being able to win. The Club will take their selected personnel to the Dynasty locations while we are left to hold up the Klaxian advance. We cannot win.

We must remove control from The Club / The Pilots Federation / The Cabal / The EFP / CIEP, and all of their various machinations. We are the Children of Raxxla. We Remember.

CoR Research Dept. 3304."

Remember!

Ah, yes...while I am technically a CoR member, I've been a 'sleeper' for a while...well, it's all possible (and thanks for the doc). My immediate thoughts would be:

1. The very fact that 'the Master Plan' has become known means it has been compromised, which means it will change. The Dynasty locations as part of Exodus would no longer be safe.

2. I'm still concerned that the Oresrians and Klaaxians have not yet made it into ED lore, even if referenced in recent books etc. Maybe they will, but maybe they won't. Personally I don't want to make too many assumptions along that path until we have something concrete in game to show that division. Maybe we have to wait until 2020 for that, sadly...

3. Finally (for a bit of fun), how do we know that we can truly trust CoR? It would be the perfect 'anti-Club' group for the Club to infiltrate and misdirect... ;)

Sorry I'm going backwards through posts... ;)

Completely agree. I'm sure that the point of offering visions of a civilisation in its age of glory (Guardian homeworld? Raxxla? Maybe even the same thing?) is to warn humanity not to repeat their mistakes, as we start to take the same steps. Classic sci fi business hehe.

Also worth noting that the Federation talked about creating AI defences to defeat the Thargoids called The Bulwark Project, another potential step to disaster... https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/5a859fd09dd29d74a968382e

Ah, good recall! I’d forgotten that aspect of the dilemma. And it seems that campaign was successful: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/23-FEB-3304
implying there are fed-developed automatic war machines just waiting to be taken over by disembodied AI.......
This game is turning into Terminator
I’ll be back!

I'm wondering if Generation Ship Thetis ran into a similar issue with the voices, but unlike current comms system filtering, they suffered catastrophic insanity due to the message they received. Could be related? There's no telling what system the ship was in when the '15 Light Years Ago' message was produced, as it is entirely possible the ship has been drifting for quite some time after the last log. Investigation of all systems reaching the 15 ly bubble shows only one candidate and there is practically nothing in that particular system which suggests the system they passed may be further back than presently indicated. Trying to trace the route from Sol to present location only increases the number of candidates along the route.
Their aren't actually too many systems to investigate, I only found out about the Thetis end of last year, so I read its logs & read an early Thetis thread (interesting point about this thread, it contains the last post by David Braben over 2yrs ago, at least it was when I checked a few months ago). When the forum moved it unlocked it, so I revived it ;), sadly no one has posted since.
Anyway, going back to my point, I pinpointed 2 start search systems based on the '15 LYs ago', one assuming it hasn't drifted at all (I forget the name, but many people had searched it prior to the FSS's availability, & I searched it with the FSS/DSS), the other one being a system a few LYs out from Sol in the direction of Nefertem, although that does assume it went more or less in a straight line from Sol to Nefertem.
I picked systems between those 2 points visually using the Gal map & listed the one's I'd searched, it's quite possible I missed some or discounted some I shouldn't have. Also the reddit thread I linked in the Thetis thread contains a list of systems searched, but this was prior to the FSS so would be worth searching again. Incidentally, despite what some others have said I would search inhabited systems (Sol excluded of course) because we don't know when they were settled.
Anyhow, their are a bunch of systems that need searching with the FSS, I plan to go back to it at some point. If you want to do it now, I'm up for joining in now too :).
Oh, all the above assumes that the signal is in game!, & that the ship travelled, then drifted in more or less a straight line from Sol to Nefertem. But candidates haven't been reasonably eliminated to date.
I think if we carry on this conversation we should switch to the Thetis thread.

Btw, this isn't related to the Halsey's dreams, because the whispering was heard through the comm systems & not from their dreams.

Last edited:
Ah, good recall! I’d forgotten that aspect of the dilemma. And it seems that campaign was successful: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/23-FEB-3304
implying there are fed-developed automatic war machines just waiting to be taken over by disembodied AI.......
This game is turning into Terminator
I’ll be back!

Looking for AI relics again. They did start popping up in various places including Maia at one point, which was the last place I obtained one. The criteria to locate these has changed considerably over time, which is interesting in itself. What is the motivation for that?

Have to wonder why these items would turn up in the Pleaides, and what are their origins? Banned human tech, Guardian, or something else?

Looking for AI relics again. They did start popping up in various places including Maia at one point, which was the last place I obtained one. The criteria to locate these has changed considerably over time, which is interesting in itself. What is the motivation for that?

Have to wonder why these items would turn up in the Pleaides, and what are their origins? Banned human tech, Guardian, or something else?

Merope? I would still like to know why UA point to Merope and UP point to Merope 5c. It cant be the barnacles, because they're all over the shop, including other nebulae. Perhaps there was an AI defence present around the Pleiades and the Goids are homing in on it??? Remind me how the AI relics are found, are they in military convoys?

Merope? I would still like to know why UA point to Merope and UP point to Merope 5c. It cant be the barnacles, because they're all over the shop, including other nebulae. Perhaps there was an AI defence present around the Pleiades and the Goids are homing in on it??? Remind me how the AI relics are found, are they in military convoys?

Most likely for the same reason TS uses morse code rather than the much more reasonable binary encoding of the TP/TL - it was coded earlier and they still didn't think about it, or the code didn't yet support "move object x to point towards body y where y is not a star" :)

Turns out both differences were intended and I forgot about it, so scratch the message above

Last edited:

It's not clear if they can still be obtained by the previous methods because of game changes, tbc. They used to be in USS, often as part of a pirate ambush. Populated anarchy systems have also been suggested, but nothing has turned up recently. They may no longer be in game, unless we can find a new source.

"AI Relics can be found in any system with Degraded Emissions or Encoded Emissions Signal Sources. Examples of systems where they have been previously found include Maia, Meiri, RR Caeli, Tabaldak, Bunda, CD-68 29, and Xuan Wena."

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/AI_Relics

Most likely for the same reason TS uses morse code rather than the much more reasonable binary encoding of the TP/TL - it was coded earlier and they still didn't think about it, or the code didn't yet support "move object x to point towards body y where y is not a star" :)

I hope you're wrong, but that is rarely the case 😄

With regard to the TS's use of morse code, see this:

Edit - the link preview on my screen is showing something about toxic waste. No idea why. The link itself works though!

Last edited:
With regard to the TS's use of morse code, see this:

Interesting, one of the few posts from MB that I didn't remember! Thanks for pointing it out

No probs! And hi from the youtube side of the livestream! Guessing you're watching on twitch?
Indeed! Sent a PM to paige about that wrong date, let's see if it'll make the cut in next patch:
RnV8EPhi.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom