Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

Indeed! Sent a PM to paige about that wrong date, let's see if it'll make the cut in next patch:
RnV8EPhi.jpg
What was the wrong date? Didn't see what you'd posted as could only see the YT chat.

What was the wrong date? Didn't see what you'd posted as could only see the YT chat.
It's in the spoiler :)

The "Human-Thargoid contact" page places INRA founding in 3193, while the "Vulnerabilities" page places the mycoid, created by INRA, in 3151. Back to the future, or typo :) Considering that the Mycoid date was already fixed from 3250 to 3151, I'm pretty sure it's a typo in the "Human-Thargoid contact" article. I'm curious of seeing if the typo is 3093 or 3123.

Interesting, one of the few posts from MB that I didn't remember! Thanks for pointing it out

I remember that quote by MB. But it was another frustration- he told us the use of UA Morse Code was deliberate, but two years later we still don‘t know WHY, and what’s worse we don’t appear to have a means of finding out.

It's in the spoiler :)

The "Human-Thargoid contact" page places INRA founding in 3193, while the "Vulnerabilities" page places the mycoid, created by INRA, in 3151. Back to the future, or typo :) Considering that the Mycoid date was already fixed from 3250 to 3151, I'm pretty sure it's a typo in the "Human-Thargoid contact" article. I'm curious of seeing if the typo is 3093 or 3123.
Good spot! Yeah will be interesting to see what date it comes out with.

Not sure what's going on with the spoiler btw - I did check it but there's nothing in it (well it's that way for me anyway, not sure if it's the same for anyone else).

I remember that quote by MB. But it was another frustration- he told us the use of UA Morse Code was deliberate, but two years later we still don‘t know WHY, and what’s worse we don’t appear to have a means of finding out.
It's indeed extremely frustrating that despite having a constant source of thargoid bits and scraps, and AEGIS supposedly continuously studying them, we still have just what's in the codex (mainly based on INRA bases apparently). From another perspective, tho, at least now we have what's in the codex :)

Good spot! Yeah will be interesting to see what date it comes out with.

Not sure what's going on with the spoiler btw - I did check it but there's nothing in it (well it's that way for me anyway, not sure if it's the same for anyone else).
Indeed, it seems the image is gone after an hard-refresh, I'll fix that.

With regard to the TS's use of morse code, see this:

Edit - the link preview on my screen is showing something about toxic waste. No idea why. The link itself works though!
Interesting, one of the few posts from MB that I didn't remember! Thanks for pointing it out
Yup. MB is on-record saying the use of Morse and the pointing are both deliberate and for a reason.

Yup. MB is on-record saying the use of Morse and the pointing are both deliberate and for a reason.
Yeah, I remembered the pointing one but not the one about morse code :) So many years passed since there were actual in-game mysteries that memories are beginning to fade :)

Last edited:
Other thing bugging me is why there's so many NHSS in Asterope? Another player (somewhere) found that there's somewhat of a correlation between range from Asterope and # of signal sources (to a point)... at first I thought it was a bug, and while I have found a disproportionate amount of USS in some systems where there's only stars... nothing is as extreme as Asterope. (although of note, almost 50% also aren't NHSS)

Attachments

• 1559567366964.png
    1559567366964.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Been thinking about it off and on for a while. Everything is flawed one way or another though.

One thing in that is that Nav Beacons also transmit system names in morse.

I end up coming back to Jacques’ ‘they sing and then they find you’ (paraphrasing the full quote). In many ways is that not a literal description:

- they make a whalesong-esque noise

- they then say ‘this is the name of the system you’re in, oh and Merope is over in that direction <points>’

(Ok, I know the pointing is effectively first, but you know what I mean.)

Just to double check here....am I getting the bit about the UA’s old behaviour right? I.e.:

• pick up UA in system A
  • jump to system B
  • jettison UA
  • UA morses system B’s name

?

Nope.

It now emits a morse-encoded wireframe image of your ship.

The old behaviour was to emit the name of the nearest celestial object, whether that was a station, star, planet etc.
Cheers! And yeah, I knew what the new behaviour was, it was the old behaviour I was double checking.

(And apologies, I could always have checked myself but for this one I figured there’d be someone active in the conversation who would know for sure without having to check. 😉)

So, final check, is the A/B bit correct? I.E. a UA always went off it’s ‘current’ location (as opposed to where it was found)?

So, final check, is the A/B bit correct? I.E. a UA always went off it’s ‘current’ location (as opposed to where it was found)?
Correct. As far as anyone knows, UA/TS have no concept of where they were picked up from (or any item, for that matter). If they did, with my coder hat on, it would be impossible to determine which was which if you held multiple, as they stack in your inventory.

Correct. As far as anyone knows, UA/TS have no concept of where they were picked up from. If they did, at with my coder hat on, it would be impossible to determine which was which if you held multiple, as they stack in your inventory.
Thanks again! 👍

And yeah, good point on the coding side of things!

What’s the thoughts on that particular interpretation of Jacques’ message?

Thanks again! 👍

And yeah, good point on the coding side of things!

What’s the thoughts on that particular interpretation of Jacques’ message?
Honestly, I'm not sure.... in the early days I had a lot of theories, but I don't think they're relevant anymore. Just to throw some out there.

• The UA was basically a "compass", but at some "halfway distance" point in the galaxy, it would change from pointing to Merope, to pointing somewhere else. That was my RP story behind loading up Jacques with UAs,, to try and get some to Beagle Point and see if they pointed somewhere else. I've taken a UA to Colonia...still points to Merope though.
  • The UA was the key to unlocking a locked system or region such as Polaris or Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 (@Jorki Rasalas , between the pointing to Merope, how about the TP/TL triangulation off that system? What's special about it besides being locked?). I thought maybe if you locked one of these systems and dumped the UA, the noise would "call" a Thargoid and you could follow it's wake through to one of these locked systems (after all, it's basically the Pilots Federation who prevent our ships from locking onto these target systems, right? So what better way to get to one than by following an alien trail)
  • The UA emitted the names of locations... but you might just drop one at a particular body, and instead of emitting the name, it'd emit RAXXLA. But it doesn't do that anymore (except if you're landed on a planet in an SRV with no ships around, iirc)
  • The UAs were Thargoids, or Thargoid Eggs, or Thargoid Consciousness. Long shot, but might explain some things, especially the "screech" on exploding.
  • Just having a UA/UP would allow jumping into some permit-locked systems.

So, some of them overlap a bit with your comment about the Jacques thing... since those galnet articles are no longer in the game and any involvement of UA's with his misjump aren't even mentioned in the codex leads me to believe it was a potential story arc FD ditched... which is kinda sad :/

Honestly, I'm not sure.... in the early days I had a lot of theories, but I don't think they're relevant anymore. Just to throw some out there.

• The UA was basically a "compass", but at some "halfway distance" point in the galaxy, it would change from pointing to Merope, to pointing somewhere else. That was my RP story behind loading up Jacques with UAs,, to try and get some to Beagle Point and see if they pointed somewhere else. I've taken a UA to Colonia...still points to Merope though.
  • The UA was the key to unlocking a locked system or region such as Polaris or Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 (@Jorki Rasalas , between the pointing to Merope, how about the TP/TL triangulation off that system? What's special about it besides being locked?). I thought maybe if you locked one of these systems and dumped the UA, the noise would "call" a Thargoid and you could follow it's wake through to one of these locked systems (after all, it's basically the Pilots Federation who prevent our ships from locking onto these target systems, right? So what better way to get to one than by following an alien trail)
  • The UA emitted the names of locations... but you might just drop one at a particular body, and instead of emitting the name, it'd emit RAXXLA. But it doesn't do that anymore (except if you're landed on a planet in an SRV with no ships around, iirc)
  • The UAs were Thargoids, or Thargoid Eggs, or Thargoid Consciousness. Long shot, but might explain some things, especially the "screech" on exploding.
  • Just having a UA/UP would allow jumping into some permit-locked systems.
So, some of them overlap a bit with your comment about the Jacques thing... since those galnet articles are no longer in the game and any involvement of UA's with his misjump aren't even mentioned in the codex leads me to believe it was a potential story arc FD ditched... which is kinda sad :/

Well, the use of morse code could be either:
a) thargoids picked up human technology from our nav beacons and reused it, but that seems at odds with their apparent predilection for assimilating organic matter and using that as a source of technology (from the outset I’ve thought the “fireflies” emitted by the barnacles and UAs were a lifeform that exists partially in witchspace and the goids have assimilated that; whether those fireflies are Halsey’s “caretakers” or that is Guardian AI remains to be seen)
b) the thargoids were trying to send humanity a message by using morse code.

If the latter case then what were they trying to tell us and why? If we assume that Salomé and Rebecca’s story about the Club and two warring clans of Thargoids is true, then were they trying to say that they (the “friendly” Oresrians) are to be found in the Pleiades and the hostiles (“Klaxians”) pose a threat and are coming from their homeworld at Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3. Was this an attempt to contact humanity to start a friendly dialogue with the aim of forming an alliance against a common Klaxian enemy. Of course humanity was hostile to the Oresrians and things have escalated.

This is just hypothesising but I think it fits the facts that we are aware of. Open to discussion!

Either intended to be understood by humans or other species, or perhaps these aren't 100% Thargoid any more. Modified by Aegis or the Club? For their own use, which hasn't been determined, or perhaps to misdirect us.

I also think 'the song' may be the same as 'the signal': https://canonn.science/codex/communication-hub-zeta-12/

There is definitely the possibility that the Club are experimenting with the signal - is it possible that they could summon or even control at least one of the Thargoid groups if they perfect the technique?

From this PSJ-17 excerpt, at least initially the signal appears to be genuine and unexpected:

"A maintenance crew linked to our comms corp. has intercepted a foreign signal inside the civilian comms network they operate.
Primary objective is to shut down the Zeta 12 communication hub being used by the company to decode the signal and gather all associated data."

But it was subsequently pointed out to me that the logs for Site 94 suggest our mere presence is sufficient trigger an alarm (also the song / signal? and could explain its existence?) and attract Thargoids to previously dormant sites: https://canonn.science/codex/site-94/

This may additionally rely on Mycoid being sufficiently suppressed to allow the sites to wake up. Note comparisons of "M PARTICLES MINIMAL" vs "M particles level holding within expected parameters" https://canonn.science/codex/relay-station-psj-17/

Which reminds me of the 'Scavengers' - what are they really doing at the sites? Are they systematically removing Mycoid to allow the sites to come back 'online'?

So, I'm still perturbed by the Romero stuff.... in the 2 Jun Galnet Summary, it says:

In other news, the investigation into technician Gan Romero has been suspended, with Fort Dixon investigators exhausting all known leads. The stolen ship’s owner has speculated whether his exploration vessel was selected for a reason, given Romero’s dream journal entries.

Given the Dream Journal entries... which are:

“Our analysts have recovered a few fragments of these recordings, which appear to have been part of a dream journal. In them, Romero makes repeated mention of seeing ‘an area of space, not black but radiant…glowing like heaven,’ and being called by ‘voices that didn’t come from anything with a body’.”

And the ship's owner, Bjorn Lennox.

It reads like it's trying to tell us what all the clues are to think about... but on the same token there's barely anything to go on. Maybe "didn't come from anything with a body" is quite literal, and we're looking for star-only systems, but still...

It reads like it's trying to tell us what all the clues are to think about... but on the same token there's barely anything to go on. Maybe "didn't come from anything with a body" is quite literal, and we're looking for star-only systems, but still...
While I have high hopes for this storyline, for me the:
[...] we have no leads and have exhausted all avenues of inquiry. Attempts to track down the stolen ship have returned empty-handed. Until more evidence surfaces, we must reluctantly abandon our efforts.
is a quite definitive way of saying "there's nothing to find (yet)"

So, I'm still perturbed by the Romero stuff.... in the 2 Jun Galnet Summary, it says:

Given the Dream Journal entries... which are:

And the ship's owner, Bjorn Lennox.

Nebulae with stellar anomalies of the plasma type feels relevant, in regard to 'glowing like heaven' and 'something without a body'.

The link to Halsey suggests either more guardian stuff (constructs or exiles?) or a new form of entities that can be discovered in similar fashion.

Top Bottom