Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This ship seems to be "alive" still, the main body of the ship seems to have an active shield when I shot it with my multicannons.

its set at 24bit/48000 Hz. But im talking about how they sound in-game, not taken a recording of them yet.
if U set ur std sound setting higher than 44100, the ingame sounds (e.g. "FSA charging" etc. are played quicher then supposed, pitch goes up too....

So to sum up some thoughts (probably already suggested by others). UPs are found only in very specific and confined locations (around ammonia worlds), and not allover the place. And we have found one hostile property on them (the EMP pulse).
On the other hand, although we havent found yet any hostile property on the more free-roaming UAs, the evidence shows that crashed ships, human and alien, are accompanied by them. It would be a bit naive to think that its all due to the slow corrosion effect they induce so, maybe there is a greater danger hidden in the UAs that we just havent discovered yet. Either this, or that the UAs song attracts something far more dangerous.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: BDC
I looked at the bodies.json file:
$ jq . bodies2.json | grep -i 4c
"name": "Saffron 4c",

Only 143148 bodies in there anyway.

Doing: jq . bodies2.json | grep -i " 4 C"" | wc -l
Answer is 324 examples are:
"name": "Outorst AK-I d9-8 4 c",
"name": "Eoch Pruae SJ-R e4-2323 A 4 c",
"name": "Hegeia HL-B c27-2 A 4 c",
"name": "Praea Euq BQ-X d1-3 4 c",
"name": "Col 359 Sector TX-T d3-157 ABC 4 c",
"name": "IC 2602 Sector MX-U d2-4 4 c",
"name": "Smojue OT-G d11-5 4 c",
"name": "Dryooe Prou FQ-Y d381 4 c",
So not very helpful I think.

I was just there… guess I put that into EDDN, not the system you're looking for:

KPBgYkl.jpg

Hers a thought that is going to get lost, but the 2 crash sites so far are on the maia > calinfonia nebula side of the bubble, i think this one is further out than the other ones, and if the aliens have been hauling UAs (no eta on how long these crashed ships have been there) it may be worthwhile continuing the search further out in the califonia nebula direction (the col 285 sector as well, the pic tok listening post picked up the abandoned mmining site) they may well have dug up something subterrian that is alien related but we just dont know yet

I had a conversation with one of the FD devs a the last Elite meet and I got the impression, reading between the lines, that it was not inevitable that Jaques was not going to make it to Beagle point, and that it was player action (or inaction) that drove the mis jump. This wasn't stated categorically so I could be wrong, but certainly my impression was that this whole thing where Jaques is located where it is was not planned from the beginning. It is partly evolving by player action.

I should stress that I'm not the world's greatest empath at reading between the lines, so I may be completely wrong, but my personal impression is that certain big elements of the ongoing story are in place, but a lot of details and story elements are changing, being eliminated, or being added, based on player response to different things.

Which kind of rolls back to my original statement .... FD don't do anything in the games story for no reason. Their storyline evolves depending on player activities, but ultimately we are just pawns in the big game of chess they play. With so many people waiting at Beagle for Jaques to arrive, they trip the jump. And bend the story a little.
So why the 5 stops to Jaques where they are? Winter is coming is not the answer. That's just a phrase DB threw out as a teaser. Winter was always coming. Winter will continue to come. He could be talking about the Winter of 3 seasons to come.

Last edited:
Which kind of rolls back to my original statement .... FD don't do anything in the games story for no reason. Their storyline evolves depending on player activities, but ultimately we are just pawns in the big game of chess they play. With so many people waiting at Beagle for Jaques to arrive, they trip the jump. And bend the story a little.
So why the 5 stops to Jaques where they are? Winter is coming is not the answer. That's just a phrase DB threw out as a teaser. Winter was always coming. Winter will continue to come. He could be talking about the Winter of 3 seasons to come.

I do have a always divisve comment to make, unknown artifacts crash a station depending on how many are sold, but how many it takes to crash (shut down or affect) a outpost or station with a black market is population dependant, ive seen a 1000 pop system black market crashed with 15, but another have taken 1000s of UAs, so if one wanted to affect more stations with minimal effort, would be to sell UAs at these small pop stations. Of course such statements always divide the community so im just playing devils advocate here ( that said such stations are easier to repair to as it takes less meta alloys to bring them back online)

So to sum up some thoughts (probably already suggested by others). UPs are found only in very specific and confined locations (around ammonia worlds), and not allover the place. And we have found one hostile property on them (the EMP pulse).
On the other hand, although we havent found yet any hostile property on the more free-roaming UAs, the evidence shows that crashed ships, human and alien, are accompanied by them. It would be a bit naive to think that its all due to the slow corrosion effect they induce so, maybe there is a greater danger hidden in the UAs that we just havent discovered yet. Either this, or that the UAs song attracts something far more dangerous.
Don´t agree that UP "EMP" is a hostile thing - from my point of view just an interference / incompatibility with our onbord systems which SHORTLY messes up our flight comp.
Or - at max - AN EQUAL RESPONSE to our ADS - who the hell knows how that "feels" to them?

Don´t agree that UP "EMP" is a hostile thing - from my point of view just an interference / incompatibility with our onbord systems which SHORTLY messes up our flight comp.
Or - at max - AN EQUAL RESPONSE to our ADS - who the hell knows how that "feels" to them?

Well you're right. Actually my wording was not correct. By hostile I meant potentially dangerous to us.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Anyway, sorry to flood the thread with an irrelevant post but its time for me to go get some sleep, and I just wanted to thank everyone for your kind words and approval :) I'll see you tomorrow then, goodnight :)

A effective counter has yet to be developed, but the recent pronoucement by palin of a weaponisation potential with meta alloys ( could it be that he has developed a EMP defensive mechanism from UA/UP research ?) would it make sense to increase trade to his outpost in order to affect metrics ( raise his development and give him income) he may then be able to move forward

A new CG to install UA resistant cargo racks (4 tonnes) would help with the retrieval of the unknown items from the relic sites...... they also scan ships when dropped in space so they have the same behaviour as the unk artifacts and probes ( which would indicate a common technological profile) missing humans went to war with thargoids ? maybe random thought

Numbers Beacons Report - 2016-11-02 - 20:40 UTC

I may be dooming this post to oblivion given the noise being generated about the new ship, but whatever.

The following is a summary of investigations conducted into the Numbers Beacons (after their real-world namesakes, Numbers Stations , in-game these are marked as "Unregistered Comms Beacon", or UCBs) over November 1st and 2nd by myself and a (relatively) small group on the Discord server. Most of what we've done is catalogue what we know already accurately, and investigate a few possibilities. This data also corrects some erroneous data on the OP, namely transmission times of Group 1 beacons. Emphasis has been placed on accuracy, completeness, and what I like to call not lying: Did you decode a message? Don't just give the plaintext, give the ciphertext and how you decoded it. Did you find a beacon? Where, exactly?

It's my belief that it is very important to have accurate and complete data for the numbers beacons. If FDev use them just like their namesakes, their messages may change in future. I have already set-up a schedule of weekly (though I may choose bi-weekly depending on how stir-crazy this makes me) checks of the numbers beacons in case of such an event.

Finally, this is all rather poorly formatted because these forums don't support Markdown and I've had to transfer all this by hand, and I have a math class in a few hours to get to. If you want to see this in a much more readable format, check the Trello board we have going.

Group 1

These beacons are the originals and all point to Lave and Eravate. The messages in this group are identical.

Sol

Current as of: 2016-11-01
Transmit Time: UTC XX:00

Message Audio
Message Transcript:

Code:
12 9 19 20 5 14 12 15 3 1
20 9 15 14 5 18 1 22 1 20
5 20 9 13 5 10 12 9 19 20
5 14 12 15 3 1 20 9 15 14
12 1 22 5 20 9 13 5 30 3
12 21 5 4 Charlie

[Message repeats.]

Gateway

Transmit Time: UTC XX:20

Message Audio
Message Transcript:

Code:
12 1 22 5 20 9 13 5 30 3
12 21 5 4 Charlie

[Message repeats.]

Achenar

Transmit Time: UTC XX:40

Message Video (Message is audio, recording is video)
Message Transcript:

Code:
12 1 22 5 20 9 13 5 30 3
12 21 5 4 Charlie

[Message repeats.]

Conclusions

All messages match. Messages can be decrypted using Latin alphabet checkerboard, where each number is the letter's position in the alphabet.

Message reads:

Code:
Listen Location Eravate Time 10
Listen Location Lave time 30
Clue 4C

Group 2

These beacons provided information to form the nonogram. The data, however, is incomplete. Note that through our work, we have independently verified this data multiple times, via myself, Zenith, and others. The nonogram is definitely complete in its current state, no question. The missing data is definitely there for a reason.

Lave

Transmit Time: UTC XX:10

Message Audio
Message Transcript:

Code:
["p" indicates a long pause.]

YANKEE 0 p 6 p 1 1 1 5 5 5 5 5 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 3 p
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 9 9 9 1 1 9 1 1 7 p
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 3 p
6 1 5 5 5 5 5 p 0 p 1 1 1 1 1 p 0 p 1 1 1 1 p 0 p 1 1 1 1 p 0 p
1 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 p 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 p

[Message repeats.]

Eravate

Transmit Time: UTC XX:30

Message Audio
Message Transcript:

Code:
["p" indicates a long pause.]

XRAY p 0 p 6 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 p 6 p 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 p
0 p 1 1 1 p 5 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 5 1 1 p 1 p 1 1 p 1 p
5 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 5 p 1 p 0 p 1 p 5 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p
1 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 5 p 1 p 0 p 3 p 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 p 3 p 0 p 1 p 5 p 1 1 1 p
1 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 5 p 1 p 0 p 5 p 1 1 p 1 1 p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 p
1 1 p 1 1 p 5 p 0 p 1 p 3 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 1 1 1 p 3 p 1 p 0 p

[Message repeats.]

Conclusions

Messages are X and Y axis data for a nonogram. Refer to Nonogram list on this board for more information.

Unclassified Numbers Beacons

This is where the other beacons go. They appear to be tenuously related, in that the ciphertext they provide keys for appears to be from observers of some sort. (No, before you start, Sirius Corp. is likely ruled out.)

Caucama Beacon

Current as of: 2016-11-02
Transmit Time: UTC XX:00

Message Audio
Message Transcript:

Code:
4 1 14 7 5 18 15 21 19

[Message repeats.]

Conclusions

Message can be decrypted using Latin alphabet checkerboard, where each number is the letter's position in the alphabet.

Message reads:

Code:
DANGEROUS

No related news articles were found at time of writing. It is an open question at this time what this key is for.

Takurua Beacon

Current as of: 2016-11-02
Transmit Time: UTC XX:00 (Assumed, one observation was for two hours and got nothing.)

Message Audio
Message Transcript:

Code:
7 5 20 21 13 2 15 25 19

[Message Repeats]

Article Text

Article Title: The Takurua Herald:
Article Date: 25 OCT 3302
Retrieved: 2016-11-02
Article Text:

Code:
***Compromised Carrier Signal***
Charlie Juliet Quebec Delta Victor Delta Juliet - Tango
Romeo Juliet Sierra Bravo Charlie 1 - Lima Juliet
Victor Oscar Sierra Alpha - Bravo India Kilo Juliet
Tango Bravo Lima Tango Victor Oscar India Golf Sierra
Bravo Victor India

[Article Ends]

Interpreted as NATO phonetic alphabet:

Code:
CJQDVDJ - TRJSBC 1 - LJVOSA - BIKJTBLTVOIGSBVI

Article Decryption

Keyword cipher: GETUMBOYS

Keyword is obtained from Takurua numbers beacon message via Latin alphabet checkerboard.

Message reads:

Code:
TAKURUA - PLANET 1 - DARING - ESCAPEDPRISONERS

Conclusions

There is a PoI near Takurua 1. Ships have been seen entering the area and disappearing without low wakes. Upon inspection, three ships were seen in the PoI, apparently leaving the area. One ship (scans revealed it to be a Sirius Corporation vessel) spoke to others referencing the escape. Observer was then fired-upon (NPCs do so love their cargo).

Given the nature of the decoded messages, a third party is suggested. This tentatively rules-out Sirius Corporation as the operators of the numbers beacons. The planet Takurua 1 may be harbouring a prison facility. Further investigation is required.

Velli Beacon

Transmit Time: ? (unknown at time of writing)

Message Audio (unavailable at time of writing)
Message Transcript: (unavailable at time of writing)

Related News Article

Article Title: The Velli Herald:
Retrieved: 2016-11-02
Article Text:

Code:
***Compromised Carrier Signal***
Victor Alpha Oscar Oscar Charlie - Quebec Charlie Sierra Foxtrot Tango Alpha Foxtrot Golf Golf Foxtrot Uniform Oscar Tango Papa Bravo Kilo Alpha Juliet Alpha Sierra Foxtrot Tango Charlie Papa Bravo - Quebec Oscar Foxtrot Bravo Alpha Tango 7 - Uniform Bravo Tango Lima Sierra Alpha Foxtrot Tango Alpha Bravo Charlie Bravo Deltav

[Article Ends]

Code:
VAOOC - QCSFTAFGGFUOTPBKAJASFTCPB - QOFBAT 7 - UBTLSAFTABCBD

Article Decryption

Keyword cipher: ENIGMAS

Keyword is obtained from Velli numbers beacon message via Latin alphabet checkerboard.

Message reads:

Code:
VELLI - PIRATEASSAULTONFEDERATION - PLANET 7 - UNTHREATENING

Conclusions

Given that this is in reference to, at the very least, the disabled Federation capital ship at the PoI in the system, this suggests the operators of the beacons see such a situation as "unthreatening". Take that as you will; this lowly collator of data is very ill-at-ease. - T'vol

Unfortunately, we have hit a stumbling block:

Multiple attempts to complete the instance have failed. Driving off the pirate Farragut does nothing, and we even get bounty in Velli for attacking it. Thread created. - T'vol 2016-11-01

UPDATE: @Strudel successfully completed instance. Federation support ships arrived. Nothing else of note.

Laklano System

Herald Article. No in-system beacon.

Article Text

Article Title: The Laklano Herald:
Article Text:

Code:
***Compomised Carrier Signal***
Alpha Golf Romeo Juliet Echo Romeo November - Sierra Bravo Golf Foxtrot Golf Alpha Echo Victor November Golf Romeo Delta Echo Zulu Echo Bravo Juliet - Echo India 1 - Quebec November Papa November Victor Echo Bravo Charlie Alpha Delta Kilo Alpha Hotel Sierra Golf November Romeo Victor```

[Article Ends]

Code:
AGRJERN - SBGFGAEVNGRDEZEBJ - EA 1 - QNPNVEBCADKAHSGNRV

Article Decryption

Keyword cipher: CRYHAVOK

Keyword is obtained from unknown GalNet source.

Decrypted message:

Code:
CONDANI - PROVOCATIONHAZARD - AB 1 - MILITARYCHECKPOINT

This potential PoI warrants further investigation.

Closing Thoughts

We have a pickle on our hands here. Who the hell is operating these beacons, and for what purpose? Are they human? Alien? We've tossed these ideas around and both seem to have merit. The latter possibility is the one I find most disturbing, given that it implies said aliens would have intimate knowledge of our technology, culture, and language.

For those looking to hunt these beacons: I have no easy answers. From the above data, we can conclude that presence of a Herald: article at stations in a system is not a guarantee that there is a numbers beacon in the system, and neither is the opposite true. So here is my general advice to all Canonn members, and this is intended to be passed-on to explorers and player groups of all stripes:

1. Keep your "Points of Interest" filter on in your navigation computer, and keep an eye out for any more "Unregistered Comms Beacon" PoIs. If you find one, report it to Canonn, and if you have the time and are willing to wait, sit at the beacon and wait for a transmission. Be sure to have some way of transcribing the message, or be recording audio. Preferably both. (Video is useful as a "just in case" but given the very long listening times, audio is more practical.) Please check the Trello board's Numbers Beacons list to see examples of what data is being collected.
  2. Unregistered Comms Beacons will only be visible on your nav computer within 1,000Ls of your current position. So far, all of them have been found orbiting planets and moons.
  3. While at stations, check news articles for an article with a title in the format of "The <system name> Herald:". This will likely contain ciphertext in NATO phonetic code. Record this and report it to Canonn for verification and key cipher testing. Same advice about checking the board to see what data is being collected applies.
  4. Data is being actively collected, verified, collated, and passed through hamster-wheel-computers on the #chat_science channel of Canonn's Discord server. Please drop us a line there, as well as here in the threadnaught, should you find anything more of value.

Last edited:
Looking at the pics posted of the ship in here, I'm noticing glowing green streaks in the ships body, almost identical colour to the Ancient items found at the ruins site, has to be some relation between them?

Listen Location Eravate Time 10
Listen Location Lave time 30
Clue 4C

It just came to me...(i did search this Thread, in hope somebody else suggested that)

in Crosswords "Clue 4C" is sometimes also... "foresee"

Do we need to "foresee" some clues and maybe even the sharp Vulcan Mind (couldn't resist, sorry ;) ) of T'vol is absolutely spot on with the messages maybe changing? Do we need to just have some patience?

And this thought actually sends chills down my spine: Considering the ruins don't look like anything Thargoid, the empire spins it's intrigues so far to get Salomé out of the way for...what? Are we even sure, she has found something in/beyond the rift...or maybe even deep inside the Bubble? Considering what T'Vau wrote in his Closing Thoughts about aliens having intimate knowledge of our technology, culture and language...i don't think the possibility for "Aliens/Somethings" playing Guardians of/for the Human race isn't so far off...and who says, our Guardians are right...? I mean...looking where the Empire intrigues and where the Federation has posted it's BC's and so on...

This is most disturbing...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom