Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
*loads up shovels and pickaxes in the back of his Asp and wonders if a bulldozer would fit*

Cannot wait to go digging through alien trash!

Can't wait to see what 2.2 brings! Seems to be a really great update.

Thankfully the Austrian government decided to give everybody a day off on Wednesday to celebrate this milestone. :cool:

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Just one more day! It looks like there is plenty of fun in this update, and I hope it lives up to the expectations.

Any bets on the first Google Spreadsheet to be made? :)

Woo! A new thread!

I re-watched my video of when we filmed the UP back in june and what we "all" thought was a glitch of the video (actually audio - when the camera moves in front of the UP) is actually a very brief part of the beam transmission [wacky]

[sad]
I call shotgun on "Curly" ;-)... Good luck out there folks, don't forget to pack some heat !
Commander Outspan and I are ready to roll "For Science" o7

I hope a single class 2 pulse is good enough. I'm a bit far out to re-arm before 2.2 drops.[sad]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

As a Federico Fellini's Fan, my money was on thread 8½ ...

The last one went to 8.9

Considering the ruins will likely be found both in and out of the bubble, is there any existing theories on the rules that will follow their placement in the galaxy?

I want to get hunting, just not sure where to start...

Well, there's *something* in the Rift, visible from several places.

There's a lot of locked sectors. Checking to see if they are still locked might be an interesting exercise.

Generation ship wreckage should be inside the Bubble, barring extraordinary circumstance.

The reworked Sol system and other core system upgrades will doubtlessly have some kind of clues buried in them somewhere. We have already been told by way of a hint to have our Sol permit, in regard to the Rift mystery.

Other stuff could be... anywhere. The current alien wreck was there for a while and nobody noticed it.

As regards the archaeology definitely being alien, rather than Generation Ship survivors, lost colonists, or human built AIs... FD have never stated that is so. People are simply assuming it an awful lot. Personally, I think FD are magically capable of managing more than one plot-line at once and hence we have multiple things to find, with multiple origins.

Woo! A new thread!

I re-watched my video of when we filmed the UP back in june and what we "all" thought was a glitch of the video (actually audio - when the camera moves in front of the UP) is actually a very brief part of the beam transmission [wacky]

Damn. No wonder that audio seemed odd. It didnt sound like a glitch. But didnt sound like the UP. I still cant believe after all the testing that no one got in front of it until we found them in the wild.

As regards the archaeology definitely being alien, rather than Generation Ship survivors, lost colonists, or human built AIs... FD have never stated that is so. People are simply assuming it an awful lot. Personally, I think FD are magically capable of managing more than one plot-line at once and hence we have multiple things to find, with multiple origins.
they kind of did
Greetings Commanders,

We hope you’re geared up and ready for ship-launched fighters, the Beluga liner, VIPs, passengers, alien archaeology, volcanism, and much more, because The Guardians and Elite Dangerous 1.7 updates will be blasting out of the Frontier Developments’ fighter bay on Tuesday October 25.

Generation ship wreckage should be inside the Bubble, barring extraordinary circumstance.

Anywhere from 100-1000ly from Sol actually. And entirely dependent on if they discovered their own means of ftl travel. Its been around 1000 years since they left. So their travel distance depends on what relativistic speed the ship reached. And the bubble is only a few hundred light years across in diameter.

I'm ready for the alien archeology, tomorrow will start exploring with other three commanders, any news will contact via discord of cannon [up]

I wonder if there are ruins on Lucifer?

Sirius corporation seem to have some strange secrets. Perhaps they have their own version of the Mars relic, full of alien knowledge?

Sirius B used to be a B class. Before it colapsed it was actually bigger than Sirius A.

they kind of did

Only to the extent of saying it is 'alien'.

That doesn't strictly exclude either transhuman or post-human colonists or human made AI.

I don't doubt that there will be 'alien alien' stuff out there, but I also expect there to be 'not actually alien' archaeology, too.

And entirely dependent on if they discovered their own means of ftl travel. Its been around 1000 years since they left. So their travel distance depends on what relativistic speed the ship reached. And the bubble is only a few hundred light years across in diameter.

Relativity can be effectively ignored as regards their perceived time. Relativistic effects on time are only worthy of proper consideration as regards to the time taken to perform scientific research when the vessel is very close to light speed.

For example, travelling at 90% of the speed of light will have a x2.8 time dilation factor. That's considerable, you might think. But drop the speed to 2/3 of c and the time dilation is only about x1.3.

The problem being of course that we cannot attain even close to these speeds.

Unfortunately, one cannot just make a rocket and accelerate forever. The limit on velocity is mainly down to the rocket's exhaust velocity. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that the current theoretical limit for a fusion rocket is .3c of velocity. Antimatter rockets can boost it to nearly half the speed of light, but that is still not fat enough for time dilation to make any effective difference. [assuming you an carry enough fuel, of course]

Outside the realms of complete fiction and a story device made for narrative reasons, I don't honestly swallow an isolated community on an ark 'realistically' having the tools and knowledge to invent FTL on their Jack Jones, without any scholastic input from the rest of humanity, using the limited tools and facilities they have available.

Consider just what proportion of all human research scientists are going to be on board any one ark vessel. Let's say humans have 'only' a million researchers in the field, out of a population of 20 billion [meaning 1 in 20,000 people works in the discipline]. If you put a thousand of them on the ark ship, that gives them a 'science power' which is a thousandth of the rest of humanity's AND is handicapped by lack of up to date peer papers to read, communication with the other 99.9% of scientists, and potentially limited resources.

Science generally progresses by sharing information, rather than in isolated communes.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom