Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It seems you all guys are forgetting the VERY FIRST THING we should check... we are talking about THEIR HOME here, no jokes...
*TEASING INTENSIFIES*

Then we should get the crowbars and ski mask's ready;)

well, a PLASMA GUN could be a better idea but, I've always supported creativity here :D
I was talking about an HOME system, however :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

You think we can get there yet?

No I don't, but... worth checking? :D Some times things are easier than we think... remember the Honk? ;)
A previously permitted system, that is permitted no more could be something like that...

For me it should be the first system to check for ancient ruins... no?

Last edited:
Only to the extent of saying it is 'alien'.

That doesn't strictly exclude either transhuman or post-human colonists or human made AI.

I don't doubt that there will be 'alien alien' stuff out there, but I also expect there to be 'not actually alien' archaeology, too.

Relativity can be effectively ignored as regards their perceived time. Relativistic effects on time are only worthy of proper consideration as regards to the time taken to perform scientific research when the vessel is very close to light speed.

For example, travelling at 90% of the speed of light will have a x2.8 time dilation factor. That's considerable, you might think. But drop the speed to 2/3 of c and the time dilation is only about x1.3.

The problem being of course that we cannot attain even close to these speeds.

Unfortunately, one cannot just make a rocket and accelerate forever. The limit on velocity is mainly down to the rocket's exhaust velocity. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that the current theoretical limit for a fusion rocket is .3c of velocity. Antimatter rockets can boost it to nearly half the speed of light, but that is still not fat enough for time dilation to make any effective difference. [assuming you an carry enough fuel, of course]

Outside the realms of complete fiction and a story device made for narrative reasons, I don't honestly swallow an isolated community on an ark 'realistically' having the tools and knowledge to invent FTL on their Jack Jones, without any scholastic input from the rest of humanity, using the limited tools and facilities they have available.

Consider just what proportion of all human research scientists are going to be on board any one ark vessel. Let's say humans have 'only' a million researchers in the field, out of a population of 20 billion [meaning 1 in 20,000 people works in the discipline]. If you put a thousand of them on the ark ship, that gives them a 'science power' which is a thousandth of the rest of humanity's AND is handicapped by lack of up to date peer papers to read, communication with the other 99.9% of scientists, and potentially limited resources.

Science generally progresses by sharing information, rather than in isolated communes.

Yeah. Their exact distance depends on the type of technology used at the time they left. Which since the galnet on them talks about people living and dying aboard them, Id assume they arent actually reaching relativistic speeds. So if they are travelling that slow they would be in the bubble. But I would assume someone would have sen them if that was the case. There are supposed to be 70,000 of them out there. I swear I remember a discussion about the ships once and someone said they could be anywhere up to 1000ly away because it entirely depended on what speed they reached at their highest. 1000 obviously is a bit far because they wouldnt be able to reach light speed most likely on a generation ship. As for developing their own.. It would have to be a flash point most likely. Explanations Ive seen have been interacting with an alien species along the way. Or even taking an advanced AI with them since I dont believe they were banned at that point. Of course.. All of this is dependent on how accurate the science is in the game.

No I don't, but... worth checking? :D Some times things are easier than we think... remember the Honk? ;)
A previously permitted system, that is permitted no more could be something like that...

Maybe something in some alien ruins will give us a key? :)

well, a PLASMA GUN could be a better idea but, I've always supported creativity here :D
I was talking about an HOME system, however :D

home system eh the place that has only 1 commander in its general 50ly area?
cause that's my home system tho its and amazing area i would like to have a few commanders around there

but for the tharg's home i guess the we come in peace would be the best but a plasma cannon will work too:)

Yeah. Their exact distance depends on the type of technology used at the time they left. Which since the galnet on them talks about people living and dying aboard them, Id assume they arent actually reaching relativistic speeds. So if they are travelling that slow they would be in the bubble. But I would assume someone would have sen them if that was the case. There are supposed to be 70,000 of them out there. I swear I remember a discussion about the ships once and someone said they could be anywhere up to 1000ly away because it entirely depended on what speed they reached at their highest. 1000 obviously is a bit far because they wouldnt be able to reach light speed most likely on a generation ship. As for developing their own.. It would have to be a flash point most likely. Explanations Ive seen have been interacting with an alien species along the way. Or even taking an advanced AI with them since I dont believe they were banned at that point. Of course.. All of this is dependent on how accurate the science is in the game.

Maybe something in some alien ruins will give us a key? :)

Indeed: that is exactly what I was thinking... ;)
The UP has spoken.

Damn. No wonder that audio seemed odd. It didnt sound like a glitch. But didnt sound like the UP. I still cant believe after all the testing that no one got in front of it until we found them in the wild.

Yeah [haha] - wonder what the guys at Frontier thought all that time.

Lets all not forget that there is also a "live" ship out there somewhere from the Gamescom teaser. First one to find it gets a brand new ship! (rebuy of course)

Explanations Ive seen have been interacting with an alien species along the way. Or even taking an advanced AI with them since I dont believe they were banned at that point. Of course.. All of this is dependent on how accurate the science is in the game.

Post humanism, too!

There is a distinct genre of sci-fi which takes on the idea that humans may elect to enhance themselves biologically or mechanically where they cease to be human any more.

Allister Reynolds explores exactly this in his novels, amongst relativistic speed 'light hugger' ships and their strange 'Ultra' crews. Also in regard to humans swimming in a sentient sea and coming away with different traits and knowledge. Worth a read.

I would strongly suggest looking out for the Tionilsa Orbital Graveyard from here on in.

"The first thing you see is a shimmering, silver disc, a double spiral of tiny bright points. It slowly turns: it's a galaxy in miniature, with the same intense blur of light at its centre, because here is where the biggest tombs are to be found.
Come closer and soon you can see that the stars in this galaxy are markers, great lumps of metal, heavily inscribed with the words and symbols of a thousand religions. The cemetery is a bizarre and moving sight. The markers are rarely less than a thousand feet across. There are chrome-alloy crosses, titanium Stars of David, duralium henges, and all the strange symbolic shapes of the worlds, and the minds and the faiths that have come to die in this Star traveller's special place.

Tethered below this vast, rotating mausoleum is the dodecahedral shape of a 'Dodo' class space station, the home of the Cemetery Authorites. Here you go through security checks and get your visitor's visa. And as you stand in the queue, staring up through the translucent ceiling of the Customs Hall, you can see the battered, broken ships of many of the dead, still attached to the silent tomb that contains the body."

Robert Holdstock - the Dark Wheel

Last edited:
New thread! ya

Guardians

Genuinely, Ultra, Antagonistic, Rare, Distinctive, Insectoid, Alien, Newborn, Scientists

Winters almost here.

Dusting off Exploration ship UPKEEP and probably having to charge the battery.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom