Alien bases grow - With an important update at Page 4

This is the same base at MEL 22 SECTOR ZU-P C5-1 4 A.

EDIT: I have not measured the pixels of these two pictures, used them merely as an illustration of where mate and me were standing when measuring the distance between our ships. Pictures are not important here, data is.

EDIT 2 : AN IMPORTANT UPDATE AT PAGE 4, post #53

At the end of July it was 4 km wide (and I haven't measured it on the day they become known, they were smaller then)

Ip1IllK.png

This is the same base photographed today, 30.07.2017. Now it's 4,8 km

x9sbJgj.jpg

Got another ring of those "jaw bones with teeth". And those ugly structures are much higher now and more Giger.

yaNM4Gc.png

Last edited:
Very interesting. It's about time I got round to visiting one. :)

While at it, I strongly suggest to collect some of these (while it's still easy). I have a hunch it will be needed for new stuff at the Engineers.

DATA upon scanning

Unknown Material Composition Data scanning Unknown Uplink Device STANDARD
Unknown Residue Data Analysis scanning Unknown Uplink Device RARE
Unknown Ship Signature drop from Scavenger STANDARD
Unknown Structural Data scanning Unknown Uplink Device COMMON
Unknown Wake Data drop from Scavenger RARE

MATS after killing a Scavenger

Unknown Carapace COMMON
Unknown Energy Cell STANDARD
Unknown Fragment VERY RARE
Unknown Organic Circuitry VERY RARE
Unknown Technology Components VERY COMMON

Last edited:
While at it, I strongly suggest to collect some of these (while it's still easy). I have a hunch it will be needed for new stuff at Engineers.

DATA upon scanning

Unknown Material Composition Data Thargoid site Unknown Uplink Device STANDARD
Unknown Residue Data Analysis Thargoid site Unknown Uplink Device RARE
Unknown Ship Signature Thargoid site Scavenger STANDARD
Unknown Structural Data Thargoid site Unknown Uplink Device COMMON
Unknown Wake Data Thargoid site Scavenger RARE

Unknown Carapace COMMON

Ug. I still need PILES of crap for engineering, and am stuck at 1000/1000. :p

I've got some unknown fragments and the unknown ship signature; I made sure I collected a few while I was there as I also think these will be needed soon. I'll make sure that I go and get the others, too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like i will have to revisit a few sites
i have not destroyed any scavengers yet myself but the Mats they drop will be needed to thargoid proof Human ships i think

Picture number 2 appears to be zoomed and also appears to have sunk into the ground.

I see signs of degradation... not regeneration.

I'm not convinced.

The first picture is not mine (but they all looked like that at he end of July). The measures are mine, taken then and now at the same site, with pictures 2 and 3 also from half an hour ago. Measures were taken with two ships standing at the opposite sides.

Degradation? The damn thing grows in height too. Massively.

Last edited:
I recently have been visiting the site where "The Oracle" has set up it's tents for some foto shooting and research. I really was amazed by the size of this place. I'd be interested in mapping. How exactly do you measure accurate distances in game?

I can see how to measure hights with the ships altitude gauge but I am not sure how I can translate Long/Lat numbers into accurate distances - or is there any other way I just can't see?

edit: ok, maybe targeting a stationary object, say a barnacle and trying to drive a straight line away to another fixed landmark - yes. seems legit. is it?

Last edited:
Good find.

I really need to stop getting distracted by other things and go take a look a the bases before the storyline moves on.

I can see how to measure hights with the ships altitude gauge but I am not sure how I can translate Long/Lat numbers into accurate distances - or is there any other way I just can't see?

I believe the answer here is the haversine formula.

Last edited:
I recently have been visiting the site where "The Oracle" has set up it's tents for some foto shooting and research. I really was amazed by the size of this place. I'd be interested in mapping. How exactly do you measure accurate distances in game?

edit: ok, maybe targeting a stationary object, say a barnacle and trying to drive a straight line away to another fixed landmark - yes. seems legit. is it?

Normaly I just land my ship an one side, and then ride the SRV to the other one. Alocate target (ship), get distance reading to ship, done.
Alternativly get another cmdr to get his srv to a certain point, removes the problem of finding a proper landing site for your ship.

Is it possible that they're growing because commanders are feeding them to gain access?

What exactly are we feeding them? We just have the UA/UP in hold when we go in (and take it back out), and take a lot of stuff out (to sell it for profit).
No one knows what happens when we feed the 'unknown machine' though.

Last edited:
While at it, I strongly suggest to collect some of these (while it's still easy). I have a hunch it will be needed for new stuff at the Engineers.

DATA upon scanning

Unknown Material Composition Data scanning Unknown Uplink Device STANDARD
Unknown Residue Data Analysis scanning Unknown Uplink Device RARE
Unknown Ship Signature drop from Scavenger STANDARD
Unknown Structural Data scanning Unknown Uplink Device COMMON
Unknown Wake Data drop from Scavenger RARE

Unknown Carapace COMMON