Aliens and Barnacles - Playable content Frontier?

I consider it no different than a teaser video companies release to hype upcoming content. Except this one can be found in-game. I know it is supposed to be a rare event so I am not interested in heading there and attempting to experience it myself, it has no gameplay.

Last edited:
I too toured the affected hyperdiction areas w/o a whiff of one. I also may visit the new site, in Solo, because I don't wish to be someone else's content, but what are the chances of the Alien landing and recharging its' batteries when I'm there?

Even if does or doesn't happen, it's rote, cue the .exe file, mini-program runs and you get your "first hand experience". It loses it's effect after that first time, since it is the same forever after.

It would actually be better if FD would kill that cut scene immediately after it becomes public and on video. God knows that it's going to be seen outside the game way more than by players ACTUALLY playing the game.

FD has to make some hard choices here.

As suggested... If you're going to needlessly nit-pick a perfectly valid point, best leave the topic?

OP asked if this was a game with playable content. Well, guess what? It must be because so many people have been playing it since 2014.

I get the impatience of the guy, he want to interact with the aliens now. Sure. My kids had the same attitude when they were toddlers too. We all want to play with the aliens.

However, to suggest that ED is not a game with playable content because FDev have a release plan for this content is just ridiculous. I'd really question your calling it a "perfectly valid point". Asking if ED is a game with playable content really isn't a valid question.

I'm not sure how my directly answering the original question qualifies as "nit-picking", but I'm sure you're going to reply by telling me I'm nit-picking again.

OP asked if this was a game with playable content. Well, guess what? It must be because so many people have been playing it since 2014.

I get the impatience of the guy, he want to interact with the aliens now. Sure. My kids had the same attitude when they were toddlers too. We all want to play with the aliens.

However, to suggest that ED is not a game with playable content because FDev have a release plan for this content is just ridiculous. I'd really question your calling it a "perfectly valid point". Asking if ED is a game with playable content really isn't a valid question.

I'm not sure how my directly answering the original question qualifies as "nit-picking", but I'm sure you're going to reply by telling me I'm nit-picking again.

Clearly you've misunderstood the OP then. IMHO he's quite clearly pointed out he feels we have yet another cut scene type element being dished out, offering in truth no new gameplay. ie: Sit and watch it.

Given how few improvements we've had in game play depth and content in the past 2+ years, these "cut scenes" are just underlining that rather significant issue IMHO.

ps: We've also recently had generation ships which are little more than point and click assets.

Last edited:
So, FD incorporate a cut scene that shows the relationship between the the Alien ships and the barnacles and y'all are losing your biowaste.
For some, I imagine this is a good thing as it helps flesh out the Alien lore a bit while encouraging debate about what is going on.
That's a good thing...for those interested in such things and there are quite a lot who are.

Just because something is added that doesn't let you interact with it does not make it a bad thing.

Last edited:
I think it would be much better to have some definite ways to trigger these scenes. I remember chasing the hyperdiction event for hours and nothing happened. I won't make the same mistake again. They should be made so that every commander could check them out if they want.

Yeah, have to agree with this. I don't mind the fact they are "cut scenes" etc, but it feels kind of stupid when you realize you have just spent your 4 hours of weekend game play...doing nothing, just sitting around waiting for some non interactive thing to happen. I spent quite a while trying to get the hyperdiction to occur, never could.

I too toured the affected hyperdiction areas w/o a whiff of one. I also may visit the new site, in Solo, because I don't wish to be someone else's content, but what are the chances of the Alien landing and recharging its' batteries when I'm there?

Even if does or doesn't happen, it's rote, cue the .exe file, mini-program runs and you get your "first hand experience". It loses it's effect after that first time, since it is the same forever after.

It would actually be better if FD would kill that cut scene immediately after it becomes public and on video. God knows that it's going to be seen outside the game way more than by players ACTUALLY playing the game.

FD has to make some hard choices here.

There is something about being in game at this place with other cmdrs, you can always going private group to avoid the usual supects. I've seen the videos, and I've experienced this event 1 on my own. Now with other CMDRS waiting, my anticipation is much stronger. You meet cool, people have a fun time and when you get luck and I hope to soon, you all share an amazing experience. Yes, no gameplay in the actual event but oh man what a story, what an experience and what a glimpse of things to come.

There is something about being in game at this place with other cmdrs, you can always going private group to avoid the usual supects. I've seen the videos, and I've experienced this event 1 on my own. Now with other CMDRS waiting, my anticipation is much stronger. You meet cool, people have a fun time and when you get luck and I hope to soon, you all share an amazing experience. Yes, no gameplay in the actual event but oh man what a story, what an experience and what a glimpse of things to come.

Taste are taste so respect here.

But, considering your description, looks more a social event than a game to play with Others.

My opinione of course

I think the cut scenes are a good way to introduce the aliens and they are extremely well done. I just wish there wasn't so much time between them. I got all excited when the first one came out, then....nothing... now this. Must say, I'm not as excited anymore. What next? More importantly, when?

So, FD incorporate a cut scene that shows the relationship between the the Alien ships and the barnacles and y'all are losing your biowaste.
For some, I imagine this is a good thing as it helps flesh out the Alien lore a bit while encouraging debate about what is going on.
That's a good thing...for those interested in such things and there are quite a lot who are.

Just because something is added that doesn't let you interact with it does not make it a bad thing.

That's true... But I think these sorts of additions are coming at an important time. We are not at the end of the first season of ED, but now the second. I believe many CMDRs are, (a) questioning the choices being made for what's been given development time/effort, (b) wondering why the core gameplay and depth in truth has hardly progressed at all.

We've recently got:-
  • Asteroid bases (no doubt envisaged by many CMDRs as nefarious location for pirate orientated new gameplay) which are just reskinned stations.
  • Multi-crew which hampered by the lack of depth added over the past two years offers very little for CMDRs to do.
  • Generation ships which are almost just disposable point and click affairs.
  • And now yet more alien encounters which are just sit and watch.
I don't think players are annoyed at the alien barnacle experience. I think they're annoy at yet more bolt on simplistic stuff which yet again - after 2+ years - is not actually offering more depth and gameplay.

Last edited:
I think the cut scenes are a good way to introduce the aliens and they are extremely well done. I just wish there wasn't so much time between them. I got all excited when the first one came out, then....nothing... now this. Must say, I'm not as excited anymore. What next? More importantly, when?

Frontier don't really see the game the same way we do. For them, it's something to build and to be super excited about building. For us, building isn't really relevant. It's how well it plays.

And whilst I'm glad they are progressing the alien thing, the "cut scenes" have always just been filler. That's all they exist to do. Fill. So Frontier may be super jazzed about how this is all going but the lack of interactive nature means this is just anothet cut-scene and scripted event that cannot change or be influenced. For them, this is amazing sauce.

For anyone who bought the game for an interactive experience, the concept of "fill" just isn't really the point.

Last edited:
"Winter is coming" oh wait it was such a mild winter "they" never noticed and are late to their own party !

Always next winter eh ? ;)

2 plus years into this game - triple elite - sag a - colonia and beagle point done. Played my fair share of turning systems. Seen all the lifeless generation ships I care to see. Engineer's and power play have lost their value a long time ago. Just want something fun to do - that doesn't require me giving up all of me free time. I'm a bit frustrated I guess.

Yea i have done all this. Then i got bored and started playing my other games. You lost me as a fanboy fd.

This is a big ol "nothing burger" - scripted scene that some people are lucky to see. Some people sitting at barnacles for hours and nothing. It was great watching a video of another players encounter - however I didn't buy this game to watch other people play it. Some of us don't have all night to do nothing. Is this a game with playable content or not?

It is the power of RNG. Someone may get 140+ optimal multiplier on thrusters and some other may spent whole life on rolling and will not get more than 133.
That RNG idea in ED sucks so much and unfortunately is everywhere in game.

Top Bottom