Ships Alliance ships explained?

I like the Crusader more than I like the Challenger. The Crusader keeps the same general hardpoint positioning of the Chieftain, so the majority of your damage is coming from a more easily aimed location. It gains at least one SLF buddy with which you can mercilessly exploit NPC targeting behavior and/or run a ”Clown Car of Death” with two human teammates. The latter is a lot of fun in CZs.

The Challenger loses its top hardpoint in favor of piling 3 mediums below the ship, and I’d say that’s only a good thing if you’re stacking rails/hammers or missiles of some sort. Those are the only situations where your damage is purely dependent on how many of a weapon you can install, so more mediums is a good thing. Otherwise, with other weapons you’re running into issues with lower AP, higher distributor draw, and separating your weapons’ aiming points in a non-useful way…so the whole “higher firepower“ thing is not as good as the brochure indicates. I would also say that trading speed for armor in a ship like this is not actually an upgrade since you don’t want to be tanking and spanking in a ship like this, but that’s my opinion. At least the Crusader has a flying distraction so you’re not the sole target.

The Chieftain is the best of the 3 and it’s not close.

And nobody likes the Crusader.
I like the Crusader. If you get your crew members up to a decent rank they can kick butt or take the heat off of you while you line up shots. Also, I don't know if anyone noted it, but they seem to be designed around fighting Thargoids, since their shield max is low compared to greater hull strength.

Last edited:
The FAS is underrated nowadays. The Chieftain is so similar to it but has a little more firepower but the FAS is the best boost maneuverability in the game. So in a 1v1 the FAS will out maneuver a Chieftain if both are boosting.
But FAS hard points placement suck alot, while chieftains rockz in this aspect. Cannot comment on Challenger, not owning one at the moment.

But FAS hard points placement suck alot, while chieftains rockz in this aspect. Cannot comment on Challenger, not owning one at the moment.
The FAS’ unicorn horn is hard to use, but the other 1L2M on the bottom work fine if they’re fixed. Try 3 PAs and a pacifier on top. One trigger, corrosive on the paci.

The FAS’ unicorn horn is hard to use, but the other 1L2M on the bottom work fine if they’re fixed. Try 3 PAs and a pacifier on top. One trigger, corrosive on the paci.
Yep, I was doing almost the same except the top is a LR/TV beam to keep me cool, anyway it is in storage now. 🤷‍♀️

I like the Crusader.
Me too! My absolute armour is 2600+!
- That's using cargo racks and fighter bay!...which technically, i don't even need as it's my AX retrofitted one!...
(You could put all hull reinforcements for a grand total 3720! 😁😜... or 3500 if u want some (size 2) module reinforcement too... a good idea since canopy seems to get cracked a lot... although i do have a auto field maint. unit....)

^ N.B: ^ Keep in mind, i have ZERO engineering and i'm talking only about AX and probably PvE, although, at this stage, i haven't tried this shieldless build vs npc ships. Pretty sure it would work fine though...

Last edited:
If it's a Lakon boat you're after? Then why not a T-10 Tank? Slow, but unstoppable in PVE when fully engineered, and with a fighter hanger you can just autopilot or let your NPC pilot the T-10, and just lure low res pirates to it in a fighter. Plus it looks bonkers when you land it on a planet to farm mats :D

Turn rate is tedious, but the weapon coverage totally makes up for it I think. It'd be a challenge.

The Chieftain is a versatile ship that can be used for both combat and exploration, while the Crusader is designed more for speed and agility and the Challenger is built for long-range exploration and has a larger cargo hold.

Top Bottom